THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - Mid-Atlantic Good roads in MD

07-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Good roads in MD

Hey gents,

Anyone have favorite roads for pushing their cars in MD? I live in Baltimore, nothing springs to mind. . .
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Without preaching safety, and the real danger of deer, some great roads.

The Jones Falls Expressway I-83 from the beginning at Fayette all the way to the 695 junction and then I-83 continued to the Pennsylvania line is very good. There was a fatal accident at Ruxton road a few months back and some years back on a a Sunday morning a State Police officer shot and killed a Corvette driver after a chase that started on I-83 north of Shawan RD.

Roads in Baltimore County like Butler from Reisterstown over to Sparks and York RD north of Shawan - about ten years ago a Porsche driver killed his female passenger when under the influence he turned over the car in a turn and left the passenger to die while he walked home to sober up. Butler at York RD has a history of accidents due to stop-sign, hill and angle of turn.

Old Court RD near Park School has a great turn.

795 South toward inner loop heading east toward Towson, that raised turn over 695 is a changing camber - at the fastest sharpest point the roadway goes from slight banking to off camber.

In northern Baltimore County Middletown RD ( intersects I-83 in Parkton ) head NW toward Pennsylvania away from York RD, a few hundred feet after crossing over into Pennsylvania there is a series of rolling hills and turns - late at night the lines in the road just glow.

The eastern part of Baltimore County/ Western Harford County from Loch Raven north are fun to explore on summer night. Not roads for speeding but interesting, you can meander all the way up to Red Lion Pennsylvania.

The ring roads around PrettyBoy reservoir and Loch Raven reservoir are nice for cruising, not high-speed.

Park Heights Avenue north of Caves RD has nice turns, Greenspring Valley between Greenspring and Park Heights 5:30 on a Sunday morning.

Reconnaissance runs on most of these roads are important, cops, bicyclist.

Route 108 from Route 29 over to Clarksville once past Harpers Choice has a few nice turns.

Stuff like cruising over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to St.Michaels or Kent Narrows or heading out to the Catoctin Mountains are great drives.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Great info, and great caveats. Thank you much!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

If heading out for the weekend, the National Forest areas West of I-81 have great roads throughout Virginia. Often when driving in these areas I can go 20 minutes or more before coming up on another vehicle. To me, those are the best roads, nobody there but me.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
jb606
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 430i xDrive

Old Court/Dogwood/Ridge Road are small two lane roads with a lot twists and turns. You don't need to speed to have fun just keep an eye out for people walking/biking. Old Frederick Road is a nice "country" road, once again a lot of people like to walk or ride bikes.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, gents. Excellent calls.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

jgunz,

Have a recommendation for a great drive, Friendly Farms off of Foreston RD in northen Baltimore County off of Mt. Carmel RD.
Friendly Farms is a restaurant with carryout.

http://friendlyfarm.net

If you take Falls RD don't be caught out by the decreasing radius turns, and on my first day of M235 ownership almost smacked a huge deer at three-thirty in the afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 07:53 AM   #8
ewohar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Dinan Stage II

Head through Frederick to West Virginia towards sharpsburg martinsville. Nice crooked roads lots of hills. Few cops.
Appreciate 0