THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Intermittent power steering failure while driving

11-29-2020, 12:32 AM   #1
MidwayMuller
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Unhappy Intermittent power steering failure while driving

A few days ago my power steering decided to shut off while going 75 on the interstate. I was able to pull over, but the wheel would barely move once I slowed down. The steering DTC light came on w/ message, I checked the codes and these two came up:

D0149D Signal invalid (front axle electrical steering status, 234.1.2), transmitter EPS

4823EC EPS torque sensor (steering torque): Faulty

The strangest part is, as soon as I restarted the car, all was good for the next 5 days and over 200 miles of driving. Until it happened again tonight while driving like a granny down an empty town road. Same deal as soon as I restarted the car.

It's been raining like mad here over the last few weeks, so I'm thinking maybe some moisture got into the harness somewhere. Most of the cases I can find show total failure where the EPS never comes back on, but mine seems more like this guy's situation.
Has anyone had something like this happen on their car? I'm pretty spooked to drive it remotely fast around corners with this looming in the background.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0