THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Car pulls to the right after alignment

02-01-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
Nsing22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235

Car pulls to the right after alignment

I just had 4 new Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires installed and an alignment done on my 2016 M235 Xdrive. When I got the car back, it pulled gently to the right consistently. Bringing the car back for an alignment 'tweak' (their words) three days later yielded no improvement. The car rolled straight as an arrow when I brought it in on the old run flats. This is a trusted tire shop so I am fairly confident that they are aligning it properly. Could I have a bad tire? Is there something special about aligning this car? Anyone else have a similar issue?

TMPS was showing a psi difference left to right which I corrected with no effect.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #2
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

You could have a tire issue rotate the tires side to side and see if it changes here is a brief idea of radial pull. This is not my write up I copied it from another site to save time

Those of you who are not in the tire industry won’t encounter folks using this phrase much - but it is still quite commonly used to describe a vehicle drift or pull.

The term derives from the time when cars were changing from bias to radials - and radials were much more prone to this. It’s caused by a tire property called concity. (Root word: cone). Conicity is a force pushing sideways to the direction of travel.

All tires have this, and the value can be positive or negative, but in order to get a pull, the difference in conicity has to exceed the tolerance level of the vehicle (Some vehicles are sensitive, some are not) - and this is almost exclusively a front axle issue. Put another way, it’s not necessarily a single tire - it’s the difference between the pair of tires on the front axle. Moving one of the tires (or both) to the rear might solve the problem - until the tires are rotated.

BTW it is possible to wear concitiy into a tire. So older tires may develop a pull if the alignment is off.

There is no safety issue - other than the steering wheel requires more attention.

But if we are talking about new tires, then returning to the point of purchase with the complaint ought to result in some resolution.

But alignment can also cause a pull. That’s why swapping the front tires side to side is a good test.

If the pull completely changes direction, the problem is 100% in the tires.

If the pull doesn’t change at all, then the problem is 100% alignment.

if the pull dissappears or changes dramatically (other than completely changing direction), it’s both the alignment and the tires.

here is a link with better information and diagnosis
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/181

Last edited by pmcmtnbkr; 02-01-2021 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

ya sounds like a tire pull too me. swap them side to side if there not directional. if they are then the shop will have to flip the tires around on the rim and then retest. if this ends up being the case with a bad tire...then continental is usually good with paying the shop there diagnosis for it and a new tire.
Appreciate 0