THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Warranty Questions

10-15-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
hmulf
Rep
Drives: M240i

Warranty Questions

Hello all, I'm getting ready to order a M240i and I have a few questions...

The warranties that I'm considering:

1) Wheel and tire protection. I live in Western PA and the roads aren't in the best shape. Are the wheels/tires on these cars particularly vulnerable to potholes and debris?

2) Brake and wiper blade. I believe it offers 4 years of replacement for pads and rotors. Assuming I drive the car as a sporty car should be driven(within reason), and assuming I drive the car between 5 and 10 thousand miles a year, about how often should I expect to have to replace pads and/or rotors? I also plan on some autocross and track events but I'm not sure I'll be able to use the stock pads for that...

3) 7yr/100,000 mile extended warranty. I plan to keep this car well into retirement(which will occur in 5 years or so). I am worried about having to replace items such as turbos or having problems with the VANOS or timing chain which, due to location, can be very costly to fix.

4) Any other protective measures that I should consider?

Your thoughts and opinions please? Thanks for listening
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 05:37 AM   #2
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Warranty is usually 100% profit for the sales team... But if you plan to keep it long term, the piece of mind may be worth the $. You'll need to read the fine print and make a win/loss decision as to paying forward for repairs that might be made vs keeping the car in great shape and not having those repairs to begin with. Like ignoring the BMW recommend fluid change intervals on main components like engine oil, transmission, gear boxes, etc., shorter intervals will help big time! 10k for oil changes is just absurd and only accepted because they do it for free. Even with the best synthetics, 5-6k MAX in engine oil (as an example). Anyways

and of course driving style needs to be considered! If you ride hard, it might be $ well spent!

That said... I didn't extend the main warranty as you only need to do that before it expires, ie, 50k... So there's time there. I've also read some of the aftermarket warranty providers might offer competitive pricing, but I know nothing about that and wouldn't even look there (is just me). But I did take the wheel insurance as it not only covers wheels and tires, but also door dings and scratches to the outside of the vehicle! To my understanding, even aftermarket wheels that you might purchase say for winter use (not BMW wheels)... So there's a lot of upside there if your area has lots of pot holes or bad roadways. I'm sure it won't cover track days, but there's insurance for that too (separately)... I've never used that either so can't comment in what it covers.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #3
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Until my 230i purchase last fall from an out of state dealer, I've never succumbed to any of the finance office "extras". However, with the '19 BMW, I purchased from the BMW dealer an Allstate Tire & Wheel premium package.

Why?

First of all, the finance person knew I worked in an auto dealership and was aware of the enormous markup in such policies and he gave me what i thought was a reasonable price. The Allstate policy was for 5 years and covered wheels and tires. In my case, since our vehicle was spec'd with a separate set of BMW 17" wheels and BMW * Spec Continental TS 830 RF tires, that policy covers ALL 8 wheels and tires.

To date, and at my local BMW dealer, I've had two wheels repaired (curb rash) and one rear Michelin PSS tire replaced due to nail damage. 1 year into the policy, I've recouped 50% of the policy cost....living in the Midwest, I think I have a fair chance of coming out ahead.

YMMV...all depends on the pricing you can get for the policy features.
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
hmulf
Rep
Drives: M240i

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm still in the decision phase...
Appreciate 0