THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Hit and run

09-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #23
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Dont contact her directly deal with your insurer. In all honesty i would imagine you have uninsured motorist coverage or at least comprehensive. Eitherway you can go through your insurance company for repairs and they will go after her after. But police report is step 1.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #24
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

^^

Comprehensive covers theft, vandalism, fire, storm damage etc. It does not cover a collision with another vehicle.
      09-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #25
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

I regret reporting it. Aside from the busted grill and may be some dings on the bumper I don't see anything. Liable party's insurance is talking about $700 repair costs. I did some research and diminished value alone seems to be around 2k no joke. Even if I pocket the insurance check and not fix it I'm in the hole unless I get the insurance to pay the diminished value as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #26
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
I regret reporting it. Aside from the busted grill and may be some dings on the bumper I don't see anything. Liable party's insurance is talking about $700 repair costs. I did some research and diminished value alone seems to be around 2k no joke. Even if I pocket the insurance check and not fix it I'm in the hole unless I get the insurance to pay the diminished value as well.
For a bumper fascia repair I personally wouldn’t stress over diminished value.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #27
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Diminshed value is realistically subjective, there are a lot of stats, but non structural damage the right buyer wont care if the repairs were done correctly.

You are much worse off if the prospective buyer takes it to get inspected and signs of damage are found without an accompanying accident report and repair evidence. Because then its obvious some shady work was done.

Some time back when I was looking at an e36 M3, found a decent car, Carfax checked out nicely etc. Took it to the dealer to get inspected, luckily the guys at San Diego BMW were pretty thorough, the tech thought he saw signs of repairs, so he removed all the carpeting in the trunk, and found that it was some crappy hack job of welding the rear shock towers and painting over them etc.

Getting caught hiding something is much worse, than being upfront about minor damage. If I was buying a car, and the seller had clear evidence and receipts of a repair that was minor, I honestly would not bat an eyelash, it wouldn't scare me off one bit. It might scare some people, but like I said the right buyer, wont care, tire kickers will.

As far as repairs go, their estimate is always on the low side, I had some seemingly minor front end damage last year after an accident, the insurance company issued an estimate of $1100 initially. But even they knew it would be more because my headlight had some damage. So when all was said and done it was almost 7k, all new bumper, bumper support, new headlight, some new cooling hoses etc.

And on the surface, by looking at it, you would think the damage was negligible, bumper was scuffed a bit, and my headlight looked a bit scuffed, but beyond that nothing really.

Lots of damage can remain hidden behind, I would guarantee that bill will balloon up to about 3k.
      11-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #28
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Update:

I was able to find the car owner and her insurance company but the insurance company denied the claim even though I sent them dash cam clip because "the owner was not cooperating with the adjuster". So I went ahead and filed a lawsuit in Small Claims Court. As soon as she was served court papers I got call/email/text from her insurer telling me their client was cooperating and they are approving my claim. I was also contacted by a police detective asking me if I wanted to press chargers. I decided not to pursue because I have heard HPD is understaffed and I am getting compensated anyways.

Moral of the story: don't mess with a Persian guy BMW.
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #29
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Update:

I was able to find the car owner and her insurance company but the insurance company denied the claim even though I sent them dash cam clip because "the owner was not cooperating with the adjuster". So I went ahead and filed a lawsuit in Small Claims Court. As soon as she was served court papers I got call/email/text from her insurer telling me their client was cooperating and they are approving my claim. I was also contacted by a police detective asking me if I wanted to press chargers. I decided not to pursue because I have heard HPD is understaffed and I am getting compensated anyways.

Moral of the story: don't mess with a Persian guy BMW.
Congratulations on reaching a successful conclusion. The lady was very lucky you didn't take the detective up on HPD's offer.

My Persian friends would agree with your last statement, regardless of the marque!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #30
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

I would have pressed charges, mainly because she basically told you to fuck off at the start. But glad you got it resolved.
      11-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #31
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Have u gotten the car repaired ? If so what kind of damage and repair price.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #32
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
I would have pressed charges, mainly because she basically told you to fuck off at the start.
And she was apparently telling her own insurance company to do the same until the OP involved the courts. I'd have pressed charges, too, for that reason -- she's rude even to people she's giving money to every month to take care of crap like this!

This woman clearly needs something more punitive in her life to balance her attitude toward everyone but herself.

OP: You did the right thing. Props.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #33
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
And she was apparently telling her own insurance company to do the same until the OP involved the courts. I'd have pressed charges, too, for that reason -- she's rude even to people she's giving money to every month to take care of crap like this!

This woman clearly needs something more punitive in her life to balance her attitude toward everyone but herself.

OP: You did the right thing. Props.
Yeah he was definitely the bigger man there. I would have gone for pain, mainly due to her attitude. If someone is at least nice about it, I would be more accommodating etc. But if you are going to be a prick... it works both ways.
      11-16-2018, 05:14 AM   #34
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

might cost you more time and energy but I would try to have her insurance to pay for the diminished value. What does your insurance say about that?

Look at this video from a guy I follow on YouTube. This is from PA, but it does look like he got something from the diminished value. It's either in this video or on the next one that he talks about this, but it looks like he eventually got the diminished value recovered.

Appreciate 0