THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Poll - Broke Charge Pipe?

View Poll Results: Have you broke the charge pipe?
YES 20 28.17%
NO 47 66.20%
DON'T KNOW 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

11-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #67
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I would leave it stock, If the charge pipe blows, it's a good indication that you're pushing the car too hard, next is possible the motor or turbo..

There are hundreds of thousands BMWs out there with stock charge pipes, that survive the life of the vehicle; so if yours grande, ease up there or get a more capable car..

1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
dradernh4397.00
      11-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #68
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Sometimes, some posts are not worth the time it takes to formulate an articulated counter argument. Don't forget this is a forum for enthusiasts, most of whom mod their cars to some extent. Nobody should recommend staying with the stock chargepipe given how fragile those things are. Anybody with an inkling of experience on these cars know to upgrade chargepipes, not just to mod but as a precautionary measure. If I need to explain more then you just need to read more.
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2019, 02:03 AM   #69
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Quote:
I would leave it stock, If the charge pipe blows, it's a good indication that you're pushing the car too hard, next is possible the motor or turbo..

There are hundreds of thousands BMWs out there with stock charge pipes, that survive the life of the vehicle; so if yours grande, ease up there or get a more capable car..

I just read your turbo blew out and you moved on to a more capable car..

#Irony

J/k

Happy trails and enjoy your new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #70
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

#Irony

J/k

When you track a car, things like that are inevitable. What this thread is about has nothing to do with someone tracking their car, which pushes the car beyond the level that people are discussing here, and the consequences that stem from it. As someone who tracks and has blown an engine before, it's not the greatest feeling. Let's not kick someone while they're down.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #71
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Quote:

#Irony

J/k

When you track a car, things like that are inevitable. What this thread is about has nothing to do with someone tracking their car and the consequences that stem from it. As someone who tracks and has blown an engine before, it's not the greatest feeling. Let's not kick someone while they're down.
No one said anything about tracking..

My argument was plain and simple; do whatever you what to your car but I suggested using the stock charge pipe as a fuse to know when you're overextending the vehicle. Maybe it sounds silly to him but it's a logical argument.

The stock charge pipe on the 235 is the same as the M2 and other HP N55s, that means someone down the line knew its tolerance can hold up to say 400hp before it pops and a majority of vehicles on the road have showed that.

When you start pushing any machine beyond 20% of what it was engineered for, you can expect stuff to break. So get something that proper match your needs.

Hope it works out for him.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #72
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep

Why did mine and many others break on a completely stock car? Is going WoT on a straight highway with a car with less than 35k miles pushing the car too hard?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #73
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

My argument was plain and simple; do whatever you what to your car but I suggested using the stock charge pipe as a fuse to know when you're overextending the vehicle. Maybe it sounds silly to him but it's a logical argument.

The stock charge pipe on the 235 is the same as the M2 and other HP N55s, that means someone down the line knew its tolerance can hold up to say 400hp before it pops and a majority of vehicles on the road have showed that.

When you start pushing any machine beyond 20% of what it was engineered for, you can expect stuff to break. So get something that proper match your needs.

Yes and no?

The likelihood of the charge pipe on an N55 breaking on a stock car is pretty high as the pipe ages and is exposed to heat and oils/gasoline that accumulate within it. If you track a stock N55, the chances increase quite a bit because the pipe get quite hot and pliable, especially on a hot day. That pliability plus the other noted factors can stress it and crack it.

Do I believe the issue is as widespread as this forum and vendors make it out to be? No, especially in sub 4-5 year old stock N55 cars. Once your stock N55 is 5 years old, you really need to start looking at that CP as well as certain cooling lines, oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, etc. These plastic and rubber parts get brittle and will eventually fail. There's no way around it.

Now when you increase boost, then all bets are off and the chances of the CP failing appear to increase. This shouldn't be too surprising given the higher boost pressure, the increased heat from the higher compressed air, plus the likely assumption that people who mod tend to drive a lot harder and may track more often as well. Harder use, harder shifts, etc. can all tax the CP.
      03-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #74
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:

Yes and no?

The likelihood of the charge pipe on an N55 breaking on a stock car is pretty high as the pipe ages and is exposed to heat and oils/gasoline that accumulate within it. If you track a stock N55, the chances increase quite a bit because the pipe get quite hot and pliable, especially on a hot day. That pliability plus the other noted factors can stress it and crack it.

Do I believe the issue is as widespread as this forum and vendors make it out to be? No, especially in sub 4-5 year old stock N55 cars. Once your stock N55 is 5 years old, you really need to start looking at that CP as well as certain cooling lines, oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, etc. These plastic and rubber parts get brittle and will eventually fail. There's no way around it.

Now when you increase boost, then all bets are off and the chances of the CP failing appear to increase. This shouldn't be too surprising given the higher boost pressure, the increased heat from the higher compressed air, plus the likely assumption that people who mod tend to drive a lot harder and may track more often as well. Harder use, harder shifts, etc. can all tax the CP.
I agree with everything you're saying with respect to age and contaminants.

I guess if you already have to change it for maintenance reasons, which involves removing the bumper and under panel, if you're not a masochist - just get the upgraded aluminum version.

Plastic still has its benefits, like resistance to heat soak over aluminum.

If you're still under warranty and have a stock or even a mild Stage 1 tune, you can breezy by on the stock charge pipe without spending a cent.

Let the dealer change it while you go do donuts with their loaner car.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:31 PM   #75
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

wasn't the turbo, it happened from service at a bmw dealer, no codes, 8k thrown at the car to fix it. time to move on. Still should replace your charge pipe.

Irony? not really, i made over 410/500 on a stock turbo and fuel setup. It lasted 3 years maintenance free until BMW broke it and couldn't find a reason.

I think they fried the dme somehow but i wasn't going to throw more money at it.

On to the next.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #76
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 240i

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Enjoyed reading this thread about Charge Pipes an possible failures. I am not a big mod guy and my stock 2016 M235i is a fun car to drive and that's all I want from this car. My closest BMW dealer is 75-100 miles away. So stopping in for a blown CP isn't that easy. I believe I can do the replacement after watching a couple you tubes on the procedure. $200 isn't a big deal when your talking anything replaced on this Car. So I am trying to decide to buy aftermarket pipe just for peace of mind. Tell me if I am over preparing for this ? I don't know how long the Original Poll was open for input. But the basic poll says maybe I am ?

Hap

Last edited by Hap; 12-23-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0