THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i steering

10-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #23
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

This how I feel. There hasn't been any real feedback through the steering since manual steering went away. Having learned to drive with a car that had it and having owned several non-power steering cars,I don't think anyone would want it to get back steering feel back. IMHO
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #24
rodmeister
Rep
Drives: M240i

My last car was a 2004 RX-8, which steered like a go-cart, a direct, precise connected steering feel. With my M240i, I feel I'm just hanging on instead of being in control of my hard turns, but the power, almost twice the RX-8, compensates for the steering loss. I'll try uping tire pressure, and other suggestions on this thread. Would altering wheel alignment help?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #25
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I went from a 2001 330Ci with hydraulic steering assist to the M240i. It took me time to adjust to the electric steering, but I like it better than that of the E46, which I drive occasionally (I help him out the buyer of my E46). The E46 steering feels heavy and less responsive than that in my M240i. Ok, ok, my F22 has variable ratio steering (2 turns lock to lock at garage speeds), and variable assist! I think I prefer the steering on the M240i. I'm no purist.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #26
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I've had e46 and e92 M3's, absolutely loved the steering on them. This one is a totally different driving experience, the steering can't compare but I've gotten used to it. This car is a better commuter for me and is still a lot of fun, it's just different.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #27
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
I've had e46 and e92 M3's, absolutely loved the steering on them. This one is a totally different driving experience, the steering can't compare but I've gotten used to it. This car is a better commuter for me and is still a lot of fun, it's just different.
I also find the steering a little detached, compared to my not-an-M E46, but the whole car and general experience is quite different, the wheels and tyres are bigger and snappier compared to before. You get feedback not only from the steering wheel, of course. It seems to be that enthusiasts only get their feedback from the thing they're holding, which is not always that communicative anyway, and assumes they are neither looking nor listening to what's going on around them.

Well, once they read that the car has an electric rack, not fluid, and someone said that enthusiasts don't get the same sort of feedback from an electric rack... it's Chris Harris and "tell me if I should like this car I bought" all over again.

Also the E46 was regarded as mute compared to the E36 and definitely the E30, back in the day. Everyone bitched and moaned about it on bulletin boards and digests from here to Livermore. Oh well. Internetz.
Appreciate 2
dradernh4347.50
      11-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #28
chakatrain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 328i x-drive wagon

How to improve steering feel?

I'm reading this thread with a lot of interest.

I do find that the steering feel in my '17 M240i 8AT RWD to be rather mushy and sloppy compared to older cars. While I love the ability to change the WEIGHT from Comfort to Sport, I wish there was a way to tight up the mushiness and sloppiness.

I feel a dead spot at the center position where I can turn the wheel maybe 1/2" off dead center and the car doesn't yet turn. That leads to my feeling of mushiness.

My question is this: what changes can I make that would tighten up this mushiness to make the steering feel more direct? Would that be LCAs? Higher air pressure (I'll try doing 38psi all around - I'm on stock staggered setup with PSS tires)? What other mods can I do to make this feel more direct?

Thanks to all the great discussion on the board. I'm learning a lot here.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #29
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakatrain View Post
I'm reading this thread with a lot of interest.

I do find that the steering feel in my '17 M240i 8AT RWD to be rather mushy and sloppy compared to older cars. While I love the ability to change the WEIGHT from Comfort to Sport, I wish there was a way to tight up the mushiness and sloppiness.

I feel a dead spot at the center position where I can turn the wheel maybe 1/2" off dead center and the car doesn't yet turn. That leads to my feeling of mushiness.

My question is this: what changes can I make that would tighten up this mushiness to make the steering feel more direct? Would that be LCAs? Higher air pressure (I'll try doing 38psi all around - I'm on stock staggered setup with PSS tires)? What other mods can I do to make this feel more direct?

Thanks to all the great discussion on the board. I'm learning a lot here.
Yes...the LCAs! Best mod I did, thanks to the kit from turnermotorsport.com. I just think about the next lane...and I'm there.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #30
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

There would not be a gigantic difference between Xdrive and RWD mainly because Xdrive is so RWD biased. But given that you are in NJ, Xdrive would be a lot easier to get going in the snow. My 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #31
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
There would not be a gigantic difference between Xdrive and RWD mainly because Xdrive is so RWD biased. But given that you are in NJ, Xdrive would be a lot easier to get going in the snow. My 2 cents
Still carrying 100+ (from memory...think that's the difference) extra lbs over the front axle, whether engaged or not...directionally not helpful for steering feel. One reason I've avoided AWD where possible.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #32
chakatrain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 328i x-drive wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Yes...the LCAs! Best mod I did, thanks to the kit from turnermotorsport.com. I just think about the next lane...and I'm there.
Thanks! I'm glad they worked out for you.

Anything else you all would do besides LCAs to tight up this steering feel?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #33
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakatrain View Post
Thanks! I'm glad they worked out for you.

Anything else you all would do besides LCAs to tight up this steering feel?
Probably best to take one step at a time, as the LCAs do quite a bit to address this. I am completely satisfied and the on-center dead spot is gone. The next step, about which I have mixed feelings, is a lower aspect ratio tire, the result of a larger wheel size. Less sidewall to twist when the wheel turns give a bit crisper reaction, but there are more downsides for ride quality and a larger wheel negatively affects performance/braking. The LCAs alone do much more to improve what you are seeking than the aspect ratio of the tire would.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2018, 10:18 PM   #34
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I think its relevant to the dialogue on electric vs hydraulic power steering that a lot of the 'directness' we associate with BMW's older cars are nostalgia from the days of lower weight, more NVH, fewer driver aids, and tires and shocks that protested a lot more when worked hard.

To back that up, here's a comparison Car and Driver did using the only BMW to have EPS and HPS on the same chassis. The engines were different and the wheels were 19" vs 18", but everything else - including the 245mm width run-flat all season tires, suspension, and brakes - was otherwise the same.

The surprising conclusion: when (nearly) identically equipped, 7/10 C&D editors preferred the steering of the EPS-equipped car in a head to head comparison.

All that said, its not an excuse for BMW to no longer be the class leader on steering feel. They should do better. But if we're being completely objective, there's only a few cars on the market with noticeably better steering feel. I drove a ton of cars before deciding on the 2er, and it was really only the Cayman (which was used, so new may differ), Camaro (and assuming, Corvette), Miata, and the 86 Twins that stuck out as being better. I'm sure that Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus, etc are also incredible, but those are in an entirely different class.

Last edited by 230iZTR; 11-08-2018 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 1