THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Difference between square (Flat) and staggered (Perf summer) factory setups for m235i

08-30-2021, 01:41 PM   #1
ElMeleegy
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Difference between square (Flat) and staggered (Perf summer) factory setups for m235i

I am eyeing a used m235i with squared factory setup. when I was test driving it I noticed a lot of slip at the rear when pressing harder on the gas.

I apologize upfront if that is a repeated questions but I've done a lot of searching and couldn't find the answers for all of them. I am very inexperienced when it comes to changing the tire size.

I was wondering

- How easy it is to switch to factory staggered setup?
Is it just matter of getting 8 inch width wheels and tires and replacing it, or do I need to put in spacers or do any adjustments in the axle.

- When I compared the two tires 225/40r18 vs. 245/30r18 there is about 0.3" difference in height, does this mean that factory squared cars will run a bit higher than factory staggered at the rear. or does BMW do any tuning in suspension to make them consistent?

- Finally, for people who run performance summer tires that are not run flat, do you carry a spare with you? What is the size of the spare and does it work for front and rear?

Thanks a lot for spending time reading this
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

I am inexperienced too but here is what I think I know.

If you are switching to factory staggered setup and stay with 245 width tire, you do not need to do any additional adjustments.

On the factory staggered, the rear is 245/35r18 instead of the 245/30r18. I think this is a typo on your end as 225/40r18 to 245/35r18 does have about 0.3" difference in height. With that said, 0.3" difference is slightly over 1% and thus shouldn't present any issue.

As far as spare goes, can't go wrong with

https://modernspare.com/product/2013...e-kit-options/

Me personally, I just carry a triple A membership and pray before I drive everyday that I dont catch a nail.

Cheers, hope that helps.
Appreciate 0