THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Steering wheel leather care and fix??

11-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
rvt1000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2070 M240ix

Steering wheel leather care and fix??

I neglected my steering wheel to long and I think I may have jacked the leather finish, that or I need a better cleaner.

I've been real good about keeping the car clean and I didn't really need to do a detail clean but i think I may have screwed the pooch on the wheel.

As I was finishing up the interior windows I used the rag and cleaner to try and get the grime from my hands off with that rag and cleaner. Intending to immediately go in and grab the Meguiars leather cleaner and protectant to finish the job. Well both places that were soiled are now not shiny at all. See pics below.

Can anyone tell me it I did strip the finish or is it just need a different cleaner?
If I did strip it is there any way retreat/coat it or do I just have to get it re-wrapped?

Suggestions for what to use in the future to clean??

As always thanks in advance for your replies.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

The wheel was initially a matte finish - you might have cleaned it with too harsh a cleaner. Oils from your hands make it shiny.
Use your leather cleaner a few times, following instructions, & see how it comes out. There are steering wheel leather kits to restore the finish & color. Here's one:
http://www.leatherique.com/steering-wheels.html
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 07:18 PM   #3
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvt1000 View Post
I neglected my steering wheel to long and I think I may have jacked the leather finish, that or I need a better cleaner.

I've been real good about keeping the car clean and I didn't really need to do a detail clean but i think I may have screwed the pooch on the wheel.

As I was finishing up the interior windows I used the rag and cleaner to try and get the grime from my hands off with that rag and cleaner. Intending to immediately go in and grab the Meguiars leather cleaner and protectant to finish the job. Well both places that were soiled are now not shiny at all. See pics below.

Can anyone tell me it I did strip the finish or is it just need a different cleaner?
If I did strip it is there any way retreat/coat it or do I just have to get it re-wrapped?

I have a good condition steering.wheel I planned to send to Cody for a wrap. maybe we can do a swap, since I don't need it to be nice under the wrap.
      11-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #4
rvt1000
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonM3 View Post
I have a good condition steering.wheel I planned to send to Cody for a wrap. maybe we can do a swap, since I don't need it to be nice under the wrap.
That would have worked a month ago, but I have to drive across country for a 13 week job assignment mid next week. Once there I have to be on 24 hr call 1/2 the month or more so I can't be without a vehicle and I wont have any tools.

Thank you so much for the offer though.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 08:03 PM   #5
rvt1000
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
The wheel was initially a matte finish - you might have cleaned it with too harsh a cleaner. Oils from your hands make it shiny.
Use your leather cleaner a few times, following instructions, & see how it comes out. There are steering wheel leather kits to restore the finish & color. Here's one:
http://www.leatherique.com/steering-wheels.html
Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:59 PM   #6
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

I have a lot of experience with BMW steering leather. It's garbage. Unfortunately now that it has that greenish tinge, that means the dye has been worn off that spot. Call your local BMW dealership and they probably have someone who can make it nearly good as new.
      04-09-2021, 11:16 PM   #7
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvt1000 View Post

OP, how’d this work out for you? My recent purchase has a case of ugly wheel, too!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 07:40 AM   #8
Awn
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

The other day i was wiping the wheel with commercial grade all interior cleaner.
The first pass was like wiping across the wheel with MF cloth and cleaner sprayed into the cloth. However was not satisfied with the first pass and not much of dirt showed on the cloth. So i went with a 2nd pass went from wiping to scrubbing the wheel with MF cloth and using palm grip pressure, looked into the MF and a good amount of black stain on the cloth thinking it did the job, when i looked into the steering wheel on that particular spot, the color was faded (a little grey to brown tint) and matted. So i stopped the palm grip scrubbing scared that i stripped something out.
My question is, are these leather on the wheel painted? and why is that black stain on the MF cloth and fading on the wheels occurred?
looking at that spot after few hours drying, the color restored to a bit but still u can tell there is something wrong on that spot.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I was under the impression the steering wheel leather had almost a self healing coating.

Sometimes I accidentally scratch my steering wheel with my fingernail and a damp microfiber or water damp with some Zymol vinyl cleans it to like new condition
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 03:10 AM   #10
Awn
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I was under the impression the steering wheel leather had almost a self healing coating.

Sometimes I accidentally scratch my steering wheel with my fingernail and a damp microfiber or water damp with some Zymol vinyl cleans it to like new condition
Agreed with the self healing coat, if you read my post above yours, you can relate.
      07-22-2021, 07:41 PM   #11
Sei6el
Rep
Drives: F22

I've used Auto Glym made in UK leather care cleaner, worked well for the past few years, although yours is a fairly severe case.
Appreciate 0