THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) F22 M240i Wash Process Video

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
rfranklin
Enlisted Member
43
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: ‘19 M240i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Buffalo, NY

iTrader: (0)

F22 M240i Wash Process Video

Decided to start a YouTube channel not too long ago. I'm still learning how to film/edit, so it's by no means fancy. Either way, here's the latest video showing how I wash my 2019 M240i.

Appreciate 5
Maynard2276.00
harry.h61.50
nazali192.50
      06-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
2276
Rep
2,463
Posts

Drives: 228iX & M2C
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (1)

Cool video, I'll have to check out your others; that ceramic coat gives a fantastic gloss. You are just down the road from me, perhaps I'll see you at a GVC meet, if things ever open up. A couple of suggestions from my routine, perhaps unnecessary if you have the ceramic coat (I try to clear the worst crap before using the mitt):
- good to use 2 bucket system ; I use a 3rd with just a little water for the wheels since it gets so gritty.
- wash inner wheel wells after wheels
- knock off the worst dirt from the lower areas and don't get it on your nice mitt;
use a separate rag/mitt to wash rockers and wheel arches; door sills (engine compartment if I'm really thorough), rear lower bumper, front and mirror bugzones;
then do top-down (roof, hood/trunk, sides). Long linear strokes, no swirling.
- If I'm in hot sun (usually) I need to rinse each area, or it will dry the soap on.
- I learned that, in the winter, latex exam gloves work like a wetsuit and keep you from getting frostbite (you do continue this through the winter so your neighbors know you are totally nuts, right? ).
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
rfranklin
Enlisted Member
43
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: ‘19 M240i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Buffalo, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Cool video, I'll have to check out your others; that ceramic coat gives a fantastic gloss. You are just down the road from me, perhaps I'll see you at a GVC meet, if things ever open up. A couple of suggestions from my routine, perhaps unnecessary if you have the ceramic coat (I try to clear the worst crap before using the mitt):
- good to use 2 bucket system ; I use a 3rd with just a little water for the wheels since it gets so gritty.
- wash inner wheel wells after wheels
- knock off the worst dirt from the lower areas and don't get it on your nice mitt;
use a separate rag/mitt to wash rockers and wheel arches; door sills (engine compartment if I'm really thorough), rear lower bumper, front and mirror bugzones;
then do top-down (roof, hood/trunk, sides). Long linear strokes, no swirling.
- If I'm in hot sun (usually) I need to rinse each area, or it will dry the soap on.
- I learned that, in the winter, latex exam gloves work like a wetsuit and keep you from getting frostbite (you do continue this through the winter so your neighbors know you are totally nuts, right? ).
Thanks for the comment and the tips! I didn't show it on camera due to time, but I did have three buckets rolling. Totally agree with you on the winter cleans! When it gets cold, I will also use warm water in my wash bucket -- cold water makes washing absolutely miserable, and warm water takes a lot of the edge off. I will also cheat at times and take the car to the spray wash. Little Optimum MDR in my pump sprayer works well to loosen up the road salt, and then I'll follow up with a rinseless wash in the garage when I get back. Also really love that they use hot water in the sprayers here. It also doesn't hurt to hide the fact that we ARE totally nuts sometimes!

I actually just did a follow-up video on wheels. Mine stay pretty clean, so I used one of my in-laws' cars. Here's the link to that one:


Last edited by rfranklin; 06-20-2020 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
Maynard2276.00
harry.h61.50
      06-23-2020, 12:39 AM   #4
SkyeC
Too many cars, not enough time
38
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: 17 m240i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: 925

iTrader: (0)

I will usually wash my wheels first and dump the soap/water from that.

Let's you start fresh w/ 2 bucket and then not waste time at the end doing wheels so you can focus on drying the car.
__________________
FOR SALE: 2017 ///M240i, 6 speed, slick top, Estoril Blue. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1865469
Appreciate 1
E46ZHP231.50
      06-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
rfranklin
Enlisted Member
43
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: ‘19 M240i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Buffalo, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeC View Post
I will usually wash my wheels first and dump the soap/water from that.

Let's you start fresh w/ 2 bucket and then not waste time at the end doing wheels so you can focus on drying the car.
I do the same thing, but I have a separate bucket I use exclusively for wheels. Thanks to all the brake dust, my wheel bucket is always nasty after cleaning my wheels. Haven't moved over to yellow stuff pads, but that's coming in the near(ish) future!
Appreciate 1
MLJR23581.00
      06-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #6
John in VA
Lieutenant Colonel
735
Rep
1,820
Posts

Drives: 2015 228i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Leesburg, VA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeC View Post
I will usually wash my wheels first...
That is the suggestion of most pros, too. Prevents you from getting wheel contaminants on your clean paint.
__________________
____________________________________________
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 02:24 PM   #7
BCM240
New Member
3
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: BMW M240i
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

This is super helpful, thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:27 PM   #8
selbyp93
Private First Class
selbyp93's Avatar
United Kingdom
146
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: F22 M235i
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Just came accross this thread and realize this video is exactly what I need! Thanks for the great videos!!! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #9
MarcoZandrini
Captain
United_States
284
Rep
868
Posts

Drives: 2018 M240i
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the video, but please allow me to add some "improvements":
1. Using high pressure water can get water into places it doesn't belong. Why? Can manufacturers use thinner and smaller gaskets to save weight and $. I use a hose without a nozzle and let the water cascade down the car.
2. I use the mildest products that can do the job. I clean the wheels with Meguirs car wash and a foam/mesh scrubbie. I wash the car with a mild shampoo designed for car paint.
3. I always use the 2 bucket method. The first bucket has the soapy water and the second, a 5 gallon contractor bucket, contains water. I rinse the microfiber wash mitt in water to get the particles out of the mitt. This prevents microscratches/swirls in the paint.
4. I use 100% cotton towels to dry my car. I drag the towel across horizontal surfaces, basically extering no pressure. I apply light pressure on vertical surfaces.

JMHO
Appreciate 1
harry.h61.50
      10-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #10
cooolone2
Lieutenant
cooolone2's Avatar
345
Rep
478
Posts

Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NY, USA

iTrader: (0)

Nice vid... But here's some more (to add) for the lunatics like me...

*Wheels first, but no finish touches until car is complete

1. Deluge rinse first with free glowing hose
2. Power rinse
3. Spray foam and let sit 5-10mins but don't let dry on paint
(No wash yet)
4. Repeat #1 & #2
5. Repeat #3, sit 5 mins and mit wash, 2 buckets with mesh ramps
6. Repeat #1 & #2, but add a rinse with deionized water if you have that setup to prevent any hard water spots or unclean finish
7. Do all jams with wet soapy but not dripping microfiber
8. Air dry (power) if not, skip
9. Towel wipe, no - to little - pressure with paint application, boost or whatever you like while drying to provide low friction drag.
10. finish wheels and rubber
11. Glass

If there's any bugs or other contaminants, after step #3 they're attacked

2 years on and paint still looks great, very little if any artifacts introduced other than unavoidable chips and such. But hey, it's all good. Thanks for posting and don't mind my obsessiveness, lol
Appreciate 1
harry.h61.50
      10-27-2021, 10:20 PM   #11
harry.h
Private
harry.h's Avatar
United Kingdom
62
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: M235i F22
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Nice vid... But here's some more (to add) for the lunatics like me...

*Wheels first, but no finish touches until car is complete

1. Deluge rinse first with free glowing hose
2. Power rinse
3. Spray foam and let sit 5-10mins but don't let dry on paint
(No wash yet)
4. Repeat #1 & #2
5. Repeat #3, sit 5 mins and mit wash, 2 buckets with mesh ramps
6. Repeat #1 & #2, but add a rinse with deionized water if you have that setup to prevent any hard water spots or unclean finish
7. Do all jams with wet soapy but not dripping microfiber
8. Air dry (power) if not, skip
9. Towel wipe, no - to little - pressure with paint application, boost or whatever you like while drying to provide low friction drag.
10. finish wheels and rubber
11. Glass

If there's any bugs or other contaminants, after step #3 they're attacked

2 years on and paint still looks great, very little if any artifacts introduced other than unavoidable chips and such. But hey, it's all good. Thanks for posting and don't mind my obsessiveness, lol
Jeez the way you clean I'm sure your car will still look brand new 30 years later hahaha
Appreciate 1
cooolone2344.50
      11-23-2021, 08:55 PM   #12
nazali
Lieutenant
nazali's Avatar
193
Rep
510
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: here

iTrader: (0)

that car is quite simply AWESOME

and great video, very good !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfranklin View Post
Decided to start a YouTube channel not too long ago. I'm still learning how to film/edit, so it's by no means fancy. Either way, here's the latest video showing how I wash my 2019 M240i.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:56 PM   #13
nazali
Lieutenant
nazali's Avatar
193
Rep
510
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: here

iTrader: (0)

thoes hose things under the wheels GREAT IDEA
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 09:01 PM   #14
nazali
Lieutenant
nazali's Avatar
193
Rep
510
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: here

iTrader: (0)

ONLY advise I would offer and certainly IMHO when working on a car, don't use flip-flops or bare skin, some of these chemicals, oils etc, could cause skin irritation, (not in this case) but dropping something on your foot will hurt.

Also NO BELTS or RINGS

I've got in and the next day and had peeling skin, I realised later I'd got something on my skin and I wasn't wearing gloves, I also have psoriasis and very dry skin, so that didn't help.

Once in a while I guess is fine, but be carefull, you only have one foot, 1 skin, once something happens it's too late,

Just an observation not a judgement, keep it up great video, MORE PLEASE
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 03:05 AM   #15
Zed33
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: '19 Tacoma TRD Sport
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Great video and beautiful car. As others have suggested, consider using the two bucket method as it will keep your wash mitt from picking back up the dirt you just cleaned off.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST