THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning xHP Flashtool Explained

07-26-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
ChiefSif
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240 xDrive

xHP Flashtool Explained

Hi!

So this may be silly, but I know absolutely nothing about xHP and wanted to learn more. So at what point do you use a xHP transmission tune? I plan to be stage 2 in the near future (1-2 weeks) Is it beneficial to use xHP? what are the prerequisites?

On their Instagram it says that the "BMW M240ix of steven_wedgeperformance with a 8HP70 transmission swap and xHP STG3. Running the transmission together with the B58 engine is enabled through custom mapping done by xHP. On build B58 cars the 8HP50 trans quickly starts to develop issues between 650 and 750 NM while the 8HP75 can hold this torque easily."

And when asked how much they responded saying "From our side it's normal price, as we included that combination as standard car (B58/8HP70) in xHP. The swap itself of course depends on how much you can do yourself, cost for sourcing 8HP70 trans etc."

^What does this mean?!

Everything sounds like rocket science to me at the moment with xHP. Once again this is my first BMW (m240) so I know nothing and I am trying to learn each and every day. Thanks for all the knowledge!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Forget all the 8H75 stuff as that is a one off for big turbo etc.

For Stage 2 you either need a tune that "lies" to the stock transmission or lowers the torque so that the error codes are not triggered.
XHP allows for higher torque, quicker shifting, change in up/downshift rpm .... so for Stage 2 I would always go XHP to make sure the Stage 2 Tune isn't hobbled by the stock transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #3
ChiefSif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
Forget all the 8H75 stuff as that is a one off for big turbo etc.

For Stage 2 you either need a tune that "lies" to the stock transmission or lowers the torque so that the error codes are not triggered.
XHP allows for higher torque, quicker shifting, change in up/downshift rpm .... so for Stage 2 I would always go XHP to make sure the Stage 2 Tune isn't hobbled by the stock transmission.
Hey thanks for the response. So I was going to do BM3 stage 2 with the bolt on mods (Downpipe, intake). Would XHP be beneficial with BM3 ?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefAsif View Post
Hey thanks for the response. So I was going to do BM3 stage 2 with the bolt on mods (Downpipe, intake). Would XHP be beneficial with BM3 ?
It should. Not sure aout the App but MHD has a choice between stock automatic <> manual/xhp so that the engine file doesn't need to fake or reduce torque. With xhp you get the whole milk vs skim milk Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
seanroberts000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive coupe

Quote:
I'm no gear head and have the BM3 Stage 2 with a high-flow DP, and xHP Stage 3. It's amazing. The BM3 totally transforms the car, best mod ever.

When I installed xHP, I did lose some burble (which I LOVED with BM3 in Sport/Sport+) on downshift, however flipping the ZF8 into M/S mode (stick to the left) and upshifts are simply intoxicating. I started xHP with Stage 2, but quickly went to Stage 3. Downshifts in Stage 3 are intense, but wonderful coming up to a stop light.

My only next upcoming mod is a Remus axle-back for a little more growl, but otherwise this thing is a rocket ship and sounds like an F1.

You won't be disappointed -- great combo.
Appreciate 2
KennyFSU1102.50
      08-16-2021, 07:47 PM   #6
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Hi!

So this may be silly, but I know absolutely nothing about xHP and wanted to learn more. So at what point do you use a xHP transmission tune? I plan to be stage 2 in the near future (1-2 weeks) Is it beneficial to use xHP? what are the prerequisites?

On their Instagram it says that the "BMW M240ix of steven_wedgeperformance with a 8HP70 transmission swap and xHP STG3. Running the transmission together with the B58 engine is enabled through custom mapping done by xHP. On build B58 cars the 8HP50 trans quickly starts to develop issues between 650 and 750 NM while the 8HP75 can hold this torque easily."

And when asked how much they responded saying "From our side it's normal price, as we included that combination as standard car (B58/8HP70) in xHP. The swap itself of course depends on how much you can do yourself, cost for sourcing 8HP70 trans etc."

^What does this mean?!

Everything sounds like rocket science to me at the moment with xHP. Once again this is my first BMW (m240) so I know nothing and I am trying to learn each and every day. Thanks for all the knowledge!
"From our side it's normal price, as we included that combination as standard car (B58/8HP70) in xHP"

Simply means there's no additional software cost for the transmission tune, you just pay their regular price for xhp. Its done that way because the donor transmission (8HP70) mentioned in the post already comes from another BMW (I believe a 5 series specifically, the screenshot you posted).

The swap itself of course depends on how much you can do yourself, cost for sourcing 8HP70 trans etc."

Means its up to you how much the physical transmission SWAP will cost (labor, parts, etc). In reference to your question of "how much".

You CAN however use XHP tune on your stock transmission. You dont NEED to swap in another to utilize the benefits of the software.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
ChiefSif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
"From our side it's normal price, as we included that combination as standard car (B58/8HP70) in xHP"

Simply means there's no additional software cost for the transmission tune, you just pay their regular price for xhp. Its done that way because the donor transmission (8HP70) mentioned in the post already comes from another BMW (I believe a 5 series specifically, the screenshot you posted).

The swap itself of course depends on how much you can do yourself, cost for sourcing 8HP70 trans etc."

Means its up to you how much the physical transmission SWAP will cost (labor, parts, etc). In reference to your question of "how much".

You CAN however use XHP tune on your stock transmission. You dont NEED to swap in another to utilize the benefits of the software.

Thank you so much for this break-down explanation. I learned a lot
Appreciate 0