THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Racing seats and mounts?

04-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #1
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

Racing seats and mounts?

My passenger seat motor seems to have failed, and I'm therefore looking at this as a chance to upgrade to something a little more supportive and track-worthy than the OEM sport seats.

I was looking at the Recaro Sportster GT seats (same basic construction as the coveted M Performance units in the E82/9X) for mostly daily driving with approximately 8x autocross weekends and 3-4x HPDE days per year. I doubt I'd need a 'real' fixed back racing bucket for safety reasons with such a use, and it'll be nice to retain the reclining function for stuffing wheels in the backseat or carting around friends/family on the few occasions I need to do so.

Would I have trouble getting on track anywhere with Recaro Sportsters for safety reasons? Would a Schroth 4-point Quickfit work with a seat like this? Schroth makes one for the Focus RS, which uses the same seat.

I'm not sure how to go about mounting them. I don't have heated seats, don't feel any particular compulsion to retain the power seats (fewer parts to break), and have no idea what brackets and coding changes (if any) are going to be required to keep the computer happy.

Brey Krause makes several kits that reuse the stock sliders, and seem to be highly regarded in the M2 and M3/4 communities. I didn't see an F2X specific fitment. Does the F22 use the same seat brackets as the F87 M2? Or are they the same as the F3X/8X 3/M3/4? Would I have to order a set of OEM manual seat sliders if I didn't want to reuse my powered seat equipment, and if so, does anyone know what P/N that is? (I could only find the powered seats on RealOEM.)
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71Rs, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS

Last edited by 230iZTR; 04-05-2021 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 03:29 AM   #2
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

I have the Bray Krause, they are great if you don't mind their weight. I actually cut mine because the seat belt was getting caught in the bracket ( they are universal fit so depending on your setup, trimming the bracket can help ). Also saved 0.4kg

To be able to mount the seat as low as possible I use the 3 series sliders. Either 1 series or 3 series will do. The 2 / 4 series are heavier and force you to install the seat higher because of the reclining mechanism.

If you want to mount the seat as low as possible and retain the ability to use the back seats you should keep the electric sliders. Bray Krause has an adapter in the kit for mounting the buttons, but you will need to source your own, they recommend the e30 power window buttons I think.

For mounting the shoulder seat belts, you can screw them where the rear passenger seat belts are screwed. For the lap belts, you can either order the Bray Krause lap bets brackets or screw them where your seat belt is screwed. I'm not sure how well the later option works, I never tried it though, I just got the ones Bray Krause makes.

As far as I know, the Recaro's you want come with airbags so they should be plug'n'play as far as coding goes, as long as you transfer the seat belt receptacle ( you get codes for seat belt and pretensioner ). On the passenger side you also need to add a presence sensor.

If the seats don't come with airbags though they can be coded out, I made a thread with all required tools and steps.

If you haven't decided where to buy them yet, there is a custom shop that sells them, customized to your liking and car ( I think that means they come with all wires and pins and sliders already, so they are truly plug'n'play ). Search google for "amx performance" and send them an email.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 1
230iZTR315.50