THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion There's an industry wide chip shortage and BMW is not immune

03-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
John-M007
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 Comp

Lightbulb There's an industry wide chip shortage and BMW is not immune

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
As of today, the X7 has eliminated the Laser Lights, Cool/Heated Cup Holders, Glass Controls, and the LED Sky Lounge.

X5 will NOT get the Harman Kardon Sound, Automatic Soft Close Doors, Glass Controls, LED Sky Lounge, and Cool/Heated Cup Holders.

The 5 series will not get the Automatic Soft Close Doors. Soon Harman Kardon will be eliminated. The 540i no longer get the auto on/off button and there is no way to turn it off.

The 3 series will not get the Harman Kardon, only on the M340i. Head Up Display is eliminated for the 330i.

The Head Up Display is next. BMW is blaming the supplier. ??? Some orders midway were changed unbeknownst to the clients. A friend of mine told me some people just canceled their orders.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:29 PM   #2
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-M007 View Post
As of today, the X7 has eliminated the Laser Lights, Cool/Heated Cup Holders, Glass Controls, and the LED Sky Lounge.

X5 will NOT get the Harman Kardon Sound, Automatic Soft Close Doors, Glass Controls, LED Sky Lounge, and Cool/Heated Cup Holders.

The 5 series will not get the Automatic Soft Close Doors. Soon Harman Kardon will be eliminated. The 540i no longer get the auto on/off button and there is no way to turn it off.

The 3 series will not get the Harman Kardon, only on the M340i. Head Up Display is eliminated for the 330i.

The Head Up Display is next. BMW is blaming the supplier. ??? Some orders midway were changed unbeknownst to the clients. A friend of mine told me some people just canceled their orders.
Can’t be.... Is BMW going that low?

Is this for real?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
John-M007
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Can't be.... Is this for real?
Yes my friend!
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2706.00
      03-02-2021, 09:38 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Yes my friend!
This is unsettling to say the least. Cost cutting in full bloom?
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2706.00
      03-02-2021, 09:51 PM   #5
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes my friend!
In all seriousness, I am shocked!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #6
John-M007
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
In all seriousness, I am shocked!
Dealers across US are having some issues, especially with those clients who know the brand and are BMW enthusiast. I've been told it will get worse. So far Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche are untouched, business as usual. It appears to be a BMW issue.
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2706.00
      03-02-2021, 10:11 PM   #7
Bimmertron
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Dealers across US are having some issues, especially with those clients who know the brand and are BMW enthusiast. I've been told it will get worse. So far Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche are untouched, business as usual. It appears to be a BMW issue.
As of right now though this just seems to be a temporary supply issue or do you think it’s going to end up permanent?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:20 PM   #8
John-M007
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscam95 View Post
As of right now though this just seems to be a temporary supply issue or do you think it’s going to end up permanent?
It is my understanding that this is going to be a long-term issue and ultimately permanent.

Logically it make no sense to all of the sudden start taking options and packages away. If it is done slowly no one will feel the effect, as it could be looked at few things here and their.

BMW has a strong quality control and inventory evaluation. This was not an immediate shortage, merely conditioning people to get use to it. You get what you get.

Eventually people will go to the competitors, as many already have. Mercedes GLE, which comparable to X5 has power rear seats, power side window shades, ventilated front and rear seats and the list goes on. Same as GLS580. You even get rear seat massage. Prices are very close l.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:31 PM   #9
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

So much over exaggeration for something you nor anyone outside of BMW offices knows for fact. This reaction is like when everyone thought the M8 Coupé and Cabriolet were "dead" when BMW stopped manufacturing for one model year, likely to realign resources during COVID (which we're still in the middle of) and focus on vehicles that are in more demand.

If this these changes were permanent to production, every region would likely be affected but and far as I know, Canada hasn't been affected with any of those things you mentioned nor has there been any bulletins for immediate or updated restrictions to production.

Also, some of your information is incorrect. Unless BMW made another change, glass controls and LED sky lounge are still available on the X7 but only as part of the executive package - they are no longer standalone options.

Last edited by TheBingoBalls; 03-02-2021 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 4
Germanauto9665.50
Ibiza3478.50
Encanto1161.00
mkoesel7505.50
      03-02-2021, 10:53 PM   #10
John-M007
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
So much over exaggeration for something you nor anyone outside of BMW offices knows for fact. This reaction is like when everyone thought the M8 Coupé and Cabriolet were "dead" when BMW stopped manufacturing for one model year, likely to realign resources during COVID (which we're still in the middle of).

If this these changes were permanent to production, every region would likely be affected but and far as I know, Canada hasn't been affected with any of those things you mentioned nor has there been any bulletins for immediate or updated restrictions to production.
No one is exaggerating. The US market is hammered.

The X5 and the X7 are built and processed in the US, yet the US is getting short changed.

You are right, no other markets have been effected, but US. It appears that BMW may value others more than US. Therefore, what other reasons would BMW have to eliminate options and packages for the US market while all the X models are manufactured in the US?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 11:06 PM   #11
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No one is exaggerating. The US market is hammered.

The X5 and the X7 are built and processed in the US, yet the US is getting short changed.

You are right, no other markets have been effected, but US. It appears that BMW may value others more than US. Therefore, what other reasons would BMW have to eliminate options and packages for the US market while all the X models are manufactured in the US?
Supply issues - this is not a cost cutting tactic or favouritism. I'm sure there are logistics in the production of each model where decisions are made and it has nothing to do with country or region. We're still in a pandemic, vehicle supply and vehicle components are low so BMW is likely moving things around to maximize output of vehicles that are in demand even if that means bundling previously standalone options or removing them completely if the take rate is low.

There was a time where Canada couldn't get M Sport Package, alcantara headliner or ventilated seats on either the X5 or X7 because of supply constraints while other regions still had those available.
Appreciate 2
mkoesel7505.50
      03-03-2021, 12:33 AM   #12
luxlicht
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, 330i xDrive Touring

Quote:

This is due to the Covid pandemic. All manufacturers have problems, not only BMW as there is a global supplier shortage due to a semi-conductor shortage. Even already ordered cars may be impacted. So lucky me, mine has been produced some days ago
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:38 AM   #13
John-M007
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlicht View Post
This is due to the Covid pandemic. All manufacturers have problems, not only BMW as there is a global supplier shortage due to a semi-conductor shortage. Even already ordered cars may be impacted. So lucky me, mine has been produced some days ago
True, but BMW markets in Canada, Europe, Asia, and Middle East are not effected. Only in the US.

What's disappointing is that all the X5, X6, and X7 models are built, assembled, and produced in the US, yet the US clients are getting short changed.

The supply is there. It is in North Carolina, but not for us in the US. They are taking it away from us to keep other regions and countries happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:19 AM   #14
luxlicht
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, 330i xDrive Touring

Quote:
True, but BMW markets in Canada, Europe, Asia, and Middle East are not effected. Only in the US.

What's disappointing is that all the X5, X6, and X7 models are built, assembled, and produced in the US, yet the US clients are getting short changed.

The supply is there. It is in North Carolina, but not for us in the US. They are taking it away from us to keep other regions and countries happy.
Ok, that would be "bad news" but I read the same here in Europe, on a german online site saying that it might be that new orders and even already ordered cars can't be produced with all the options...honestly, I don't know as I don't have inside information, maybe they have stocks in some regions and less in other regions? Or they have information for how long the can offer some options in some regions compared to others. As manufacturers make big money with all these options I don't think that they stop offer them on big markets if there is another option
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:56 AM   #15
MoeMuc
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:

1. Offtopic!
2. Nearly everything you wrote is just wrong / not true.

It is not a BMW-only issue. VW and Mercedes even had to shut down their plants.Nearly every manufacturer is affected, inform yourself here:
All markets are affected
We (and many other customers in Germany) were also informed about new restrictions in the options list (for example no H&K for my F90, thats why I had to change it to B&W, also had to cancel Soft-close)

You still have the option to wait (until everything is normalized again) or change your order. My F90 should have been already delivered - now the delivery date has bin changed to the 1st week of may.
I think this enables BMW to continue the production without interruption.

Last edited by MoeMuc; 03-03-2021 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
mkoesel7505.50
      03-03-2021, 02:34 AM   #16
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
https://www.bimmertoday.de/2021/02/2...nen-streichen/
Quote:
Semiconductor bottlenecks: BMW also has to cancel first options

The supply problems with semiconductors have not yet led to plant closures at BMW, but the bottlenecks are also affecting the BMW Group. According to our information, all customers who are currently waiting for the production of their new car or who are about to order it will feel the effects: Due to the lack of semiconductors, some suppliers' products are not available as usual, which is why BMW is currently unable to offer either the entry-level navigation system called Live Cockpit Plus or the Harman Kardon sound system. The availability problems also affect various equipment packages that include one of the missing components.
As a temporary stopgap to continue production, BMW will make the large navigation system (Live Cockpit Professional) standard on some models, which will also make the alarm system standard. However, the change of course is unlikely to lead to real bargains for new car buyers; instead, an increase in base prices seems much more likely. How exactly the semiconductor bottlenecks are circumvented varies in detail from model series to model series. An improvement in the situation is currently not foreseeable.
Affected are model series in all segments and price classes, including the BMW 1 Series F40, the 2 Series Gran Coupé F44, the 3 Series Sedan G20 and the 3 Series Touring G21, the mid-size SUV X3 G01, the 4 Series Coupé G22 and the 4 Series Convertible G23, the 5 Series Sedan G30 and the 5 Series Touring G31, as well as luxury SUVs such as the X5 G05 and X6 G06.
It remains to be seen whether further optional extras will have to be dropped in the coming months. The greater concern, however, is likely to be the possible failure of supplier components, without which certain models cannot even be built: If the Munich-based company is missing the wrong parts, BMW will also have to interrupt production and possibly close entire plants. This extremely costly fate has already befallen other carmakers weeks ago.

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 03-03-2021 at 02:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      03-03-2021, 04:24 AM   #17
NorthBuddy
Rep

Quote:
This is not only BMW. Mercedes is shutting down production on some models and also VW/Audi is reducing or shifting productions. Don't think, that e.g. Porsche does not face such issues. It's a question how long they can hide it and balance the missing parts out.
The root cause are the vendors (or better the ordering strategy of the car manufacturers which has not paid out and now leads to problems with parts supply). They simply have not ordered enough hoping for lower prices and were run out by other companies jumping on the freed capacities.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 04:37 AM   #18
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

What is happening at BMW? Please make it stop!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:58 AM   #19
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

I would have thought that's a supply issue, there is a global shortage on auto parts (electronics specifically rather) right now
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 07:14 AM   #20
apirumann
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i, 99 E46 323i

Quote:

Maybe there is not that much demand to those options here in the US...
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #21
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Supply issues - this is not a cost cutting tactic or favouritism. I'm sure there are logistics in the production of each model where decisions are made and it has nothing to do with country or region. We're still in a pandemic, vehicle supply and vehicle components are low so BMW is likely moving things around to maximize output of vehicles that are in demand even if that means bundling previously standalone options or removing them completely if the take rate is low.

There was a time where Canada couldn't get M Sport Package, alcantara headliner or ventilated seats on either the X5 or X7 because of supply constraints while other regions still had those available.
This. Supply issues is the more likely culprit than cost-cutting.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #22
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirumann View Post
Maybe there is not that much demand to those options here in the US...
I do agree that many customers could care less about the type of stereo in their car or laser lights, which is reflected in the dealer ordering.

When I was shopping for my X5, very few dealers had models with premium stereos, or the advanced driver assistance package. Had to shop around to find a model configured to my liking, and the dealer even commented that it’s “usual” customers were not interested in such options.
Appreciate 0