THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Using remote to open/close top?

06-11-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Using remote to open/close top?

I was told that I can close or open my convertible top with the key fob. I've found I can do it, but only when I'm standing next to the car.

What I'm wondering.. from other Vert owners.. is this normal or are you able to close or open the top as long as the fob is in range?

Thanks!
      06-12-2017, 12:05 AM   #2
cdn240cab
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2
I was told that I can close or open my convertible top with the key fob. I've found I can do it, but only when I'm standing next to the car.

What I'm wondering.. from other Vert owners.. is this normal or are you able to close or open the top as long as the fob is in range?

Thanks!
You have to be standing right next to the car to operate the roof with the fob, I'm assuming for safety reasons. I've read somewhere on this forum you can purchase a range extender though.
Appreciate 1
crabu2141.50
      06-12-2017, 01:15 AM   #3
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
The open and close feature is a safety feature on BMWs. I can open my windows on my key fob, but I have to use the comfort access on the handle to close everything. This way I don't close body parts of anyone who might be in the way of the sunroof or windows. It's the same thing with the convertible top. It could easily hurt someone who is leaning into the car to grab something so you have to be within a proximity that you can see the car and verify it's safe to close the top.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 02:06 AM   #4
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
you have to be within a proximity that you can see the car and verify it's safe to close the top.
This doesn't jive.. I say this because I have to be, what seems like, within 3 feet of the car.

For example.. I was sitting in my other car, parked next to my BMW, and wanted to put the top down.. I could unlock the BMW, but putting the top down was a no go.. I had to get out of my other car, and walk around to the passenger since, which put me within 3 feet, to put the top down with the remote. Kinda sux that I have to be less than spitting distance to use the feature.
      06-12-2017, 03:18 AM   #5
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I was similarly disappointed. I can happily open the windows from my office or the other side of a car park, but it's no go re' folding the top down. I've never had anyone near the car when I've wanted to fold the top, so I couldn't understand why it doesn't fold from more than a few feet away.

But the dealer made the point that BMW can't know individual circumstances and has to assume that the car will be used by someone with, or carrying, young kids. Or even an adult who reaches in at the wrong point. There's no sensors on the folding mechanism - I'd say it could cause serious injury. So they have to ensure you're really near, which rather negates the value of the fob.

And beware: I've part-folded the top as part of cleaning the car's bodywork, and the mechanisms sometimes moves a bit of its own accord up to a couple of minutes after you stopped the folding process. My guess is this is due to the hydraulics losing a bit of pressure.
      06-12-2017, 03:46 AM   #6
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
This doesn't jive.. I say this because I have to be, what seems like, within 3 feet of the car.

For example.. I was sitting in my other car, parked next to my BMW, and wanted to put the top down.. I could unlock the BMW, but putting the top down was a no go.. I had to get out of my other car, and walk around to the passenger since, which put me within 3 feet, to put the top down with the remote. Kinda sux that I have to be less than spitting distance to use the feature.
Stuff can still get caught when the top is going down as well. It's the same thing with putting my windows up and closing the sunroof. You have to be next to the car. If you're 3 feet away, someone or something can still get caught in the rag top being folded down causing injury or death. It's a safety concern that BMW wanted to cover their asses on so no one could come after them in the unlikely event that it actually happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
winter.zed
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Boxster 718/982

Quote:

Thanks!
When I was doing my endless "research" waiting for the 240 I read in more than one place that the remote convertible top opening and closing is done with the same technology that is used by used by the comfort access. Even if you have to use the keyfob to do it.

That "technology" only works from very close proximity - as intended.
Keyfob will open/lock doors from quite a distance, but will only open/close top if you are standing very close to the car.
Same button - operating two very different things.

Hope this clears it up. It won't work from a distance, and this is not a fault.

How are you enjoying your car, anyway?

Last edited by winter.zed; 06-12-2017 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: remove extra blurb
Appreciate 1
crabu2141.50
      06-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Stuff can still get caught when the top is going down as well. It's the same thing with putting my windows up and closing the sunroof. You have to be next to the car. If you're 3 feet away, someone or something can still get caught in the rag top being folded down causing injury or death. It's a safety concern that BMW wanted to cover their asses on so no one could come after them in the unlikely event that it actually happens.
Joe,

Personally, I don't think it's got anything to do with safety. I think it has more to do with being able to lower/raise the top using comfort access.. And BMW being cheap, didn't want to spend the $$ to allow the use of the FOB to be used independently from comfort access .. since that might mean having to reprogram how the fob works and possible additional hardware to bypass comfort access when not in comfort access range.

BTW, I feel this because there's no way I (I'm also thinking most people) would ever lower/raise my top without being able to see what it's doing.. Just like I wouldn't do it to raise or close my windows.
      06-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter.zed View Post
Hope this clears it up. It won't work from a distance, and this is not a fault.

How are you enjoying your car, anyway?

Yes it clears it up and confirms what I was thinking..

As for enjoying my car. When I can put the top down, I love it! When it's up, it's more of a well handling car that gets great gas mileage with missing features that should have been standard in a car at this price range... Really.. no blindside detection even available (this should be standard as it's a safety issue and the reverse lights are super dim), and having to pay for enhanced bluetooth? Even Civics have these options.. standard depending on trim level.

I think if the the car had more standard features and more available options like remote start, I'd really love it... but without the top down.. it's just a very well handling car with technology from about a decade ago. If you can't tell, I like gadgets.. And like anything, if you've had it, it's hard to not have... Like the heated steering wheel, which I do love, but can't use right now. LOL

Come on BMW, why doesn't this car have tilting headrests or a ventilated seats available?
      06-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

I've installed one of these SmartTOP modules on all three of my BMW convertibles. Very easy install and way way more convenient that the standard BMW mode of top operation. I got my last one on Amazon although you can get them off ebay cheaper.
Just one touch and the top goes up or down if the key fob is in range:
Appreciate 1
crabu2141.50
      06-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
winter.zed
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Boxster 718/982

I get what you're saying about options and gadgets. I'm an IT guy, I like gadgets too

You and I bought convertibles because we like driving with no roof. That beats everything.
BMW's (and any other luxury brand's) pricing strategy is a different discussion altogether.

Enjoy summer in a convertible! Mine will be finally here too in about a week. Can't wait.
Appreciate 1
crabu2141.50
      06-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #12
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Joe,

Personally, I don't think it's got anything to do with safety. I think it has more to do with being able to lower/raise the top using comfort access.. And BMW being cheap, didn't want to spend the $$ to allow the use of the FOB to be used independently from comfort access .. since that might mean having to reprogram how the fob works and possible additional hardware to bypass comfort access when not in comfort access range.

BTW, I feel this because there's no way I (I'm also thinking most people) would ever lower/raise my top without being able to see what it's doing.. Just like I wouldn't do it to raise or close my windows.
I understand that the majority won't open or close it without being able to see it, just like the majority of people understand that ordering coffee from McDonald's is going to be hot, whether the cup says it or not. Yet someone received burns from gulping a cup of coffee from there and they won in court for millions because the cup it was in didn't say "hot." It's not the majority manufacturers have to worry about, it's the minority that are idiots looking for an early retirement because of their lack of not so common sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #13
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

I agree with crabu2, I don't think it's much of a safety issue. The mechanism will stop if it encounters unexpected resistance anyways. Even with the close range limitation I do like it better than my 135 (which didn't have comfort access) where you had to insert the key and hold it turned for the full 20 seconds for the top to go up or down.

Also, to say that someone won millions for "receiving burns from gulping a hot cup of coffee" is a complete mischaracterization of that incident. The woman who got burned won in court because she was able to prove that McDonalds did nothing after receiving over 700 complaints from customers being burned, and she was only awarded around $600k.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #14
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I agree with crabu2, I don't think it's much of a safety issue. The mechanism will stop if it encounters unexpected resistance anyways. Even with the close range limitation I do like it better than my 135 (which didn't have comfort access) where you had to insert the key and hold it turned for the full 20 seconds for the top to go up or down.

Also, to say that someone won millions for "receiving burns from gulping a hot cup of coffee" is a complete mischaracterization of that incident. The woman who got burned won in court because she was able to prove that McDonalds did nothing after receiving over 700 complaints from customers being burned, and she was only awarded around $600k.
You're right about the money she received. It ended up a $500k. However the punitive damages awarded were initially 2.7 million and that was the last I heard of it.

Also, recently the tailgate of my x1 started to close when I was loading groceries with my wife. I tried to grab it to stop it and I had to use significant force (in my opinion enough to cause some bruising or fractured ribs if it closed on my abdomen area) just to get it to stop so I could manually open it again. Not the first time it has happened either so I know to watch out for it. The tolerance for unexpected resistance on the ragtop wouldn't surprise me if it was the same. Go ahead and try to grab the top and add some resistant when you open it and let me know how much you have to resist for it to stop. I'd love to hear how that works.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #15
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Coming from 2 Jeep Wranglers which had a manual top which was a PIA to put up and down I have to chuckle a bit at this post. I have a 228ix vert and was thrilled to put the top up and down inside the vehicle by pressing/pushing a button. Creature comforts in older Jeeps didn't exist. Enjoy the car and stop whining.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #16
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott
Coming from 2 Jeep Wranglers which had a manual top which was a PIA to put up and down I have to chuckle a bit at this post. I have a 228ix vert and was thrilled to put the top up and down inside the vehicle by pressing/pushing a button. Creature comforts in older Jeeps didn't exist. Enjoy the car and stop whining.
funny... I had a power top back in the late 80s.. this is supposed to be a premium brand, it should have premium features... features that should put lesser brands to shame. it ain't no Jeep..
      06-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #17
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
I've installed one of these SmartTOP modules on all three of my BMW convertibles. Very easy install and way way more convenient that the standard BMW mode of top operation. I got my last one on Amazon although you can get them off ebay cheaper.
+1. This module is great. One touch up or down from in the car, and it also sets the windows up or down depending on your preferences. Works from the remote just by holding the open / close button for a few seconds.
      06-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #18
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
funny... I had a power top back in the late 80s.. this is supposed to be a premium brand, it should have premium features... features that should put lesser brands to shame. it ain't no Jeep..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #19
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
This is a bit off topic, but "Winter.zed" I see from your signature you're waiting on a 2017 Boxster.

Quote:
I get what you're saying about options and gadgets. I'm an IT guy, I like gadgets too

You and I bought convertibles because we like driving with no roof. That beats everything.
BMW's (and any other luxury brand's) pricing strategy is a different discussion altogether.

Enjoy summer in a convertible! Mine will be finally here too in about a week. Can't wait.
Are you waiting on an M240i convertible too? If not, did you decide against the BMW and went Porsche instead? When I was shopping back in December, I was down to an M235i vert and a CPO 981 Boxster. The heart really wanted the Boxster, but the head said the M235i vert was the better choice for me at the time. Then to seal the deal, so to speak, I found my perfect M235i with an even more perfect discounted price, so that was that.

I love my M235i vert and have zero regrets, but my heart tells me there is a still a Boxster in my future - some day.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0