THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack wheels too dark: the case of the psychodelic "blue" lug studs from China

03-12-2021, 11:49 AM   #1
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

wheels too dark: the case of the psychodelic "blue" lug studs from China

My matte black VMR wheels showed up. Too much black for me. The center cap and blue caliper breaks it up a little but still a whole lot of black. Went to a powder coater and they'd have to strip all the black paint off and powder the whole rim. Too much $ at $150-170 a wheel. I went to a machine shop to see if they could machine the lip and give me a nice polished ring to break up the black. They looked at my wheels and said they were way too rounded near the lip, would be a nightmare to machine the lip. I might try going to a body shop and see if they could paint the lip either dark silver or blue (its a blue car) and then clear over it.

Anyhoo, my OEM lug studs look terrible. Faded and dirty. First thought was to paint them black before I mount the new wheels, but I was thinking of 5mm longer studs since I'll be using 5mm spacers.

Hmm maybe blue lug studs will break up all the black on this week. Cant find anyone selling blue lug studs on BMW parts sites or Amazon. Hey there are some blue anodized ones on ebay direct from China. Hmm do I want to risk my life using no name China bolts to keep my wheel from falling off snap and get locked onto my hubs??

They came. Blue? More like multi colored WEIRD. Hippie lug studs?

OEM

Psychedelic weird studs

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #2
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboMike View Post
My matte black VMR wheels showed up. Too much black for me. The center cap and blue caliper breaks it up a little but still a whole lot of black. Went to a powder coater and they'd have to strip all the black paint off and powder the whole rim. Too much $ at $150-170 a wheel. I went to a machine shop to see if they could machine the lip and give me a nice polished ring to break up the black. They looked at my wheels and said they were way too rounded near the lip, would be a nightmare to machine the lip. I might try going to a body shop and see if they could paint the lip either dark silver or blue (its a blue car) and then clear over it.

Anyhoo, my OEM lug studs look terrible. Faded and dirty. First thought was to paint them black before I mount the new wheels, but I was thinking of 5mm longer studs since I'll be using 5mm spacers.

Hmm maybe blue lug studs will break up all the black on this week. Cant find anyone selling blue lug studs on BMW parts sites or Amazon. Hey there are some blue anodized ones on ebay direct from China. Hmm do I want to risk my life using no name China bolts to keep my wheel from falling off snap and get locked onto my hubs??

They came. Blue? More like multi colored WEIRD. Hippie lug studs?

OEM

Psychedelic weird studs

They look pretty cool! I see your point on bolt quality from overseas tho.
Appreciate 0