THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Garmin dash cam power

09-27-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Garmin dash cam power

I just installed a new Garmin 47 dash cam and while the cam works great, I was disappointed to learn that the cigarette lighter socket and USB port are always ON in my 2014 M235i after I shut down the car.

Is there a way to code the cigarette lighter or USB port to power off when I shut down the car?

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:01 PM   #2
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Well folks, I found the answer.

In the M235i, power to the cigarette lighter socket and USB port power down after 15 minutes or so. What threw me was that if you open the door, the power come back on.

So, the dash cam works just fine.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:30 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Well folks, I found the answer.

In the M235i, power to the cigarette lighter socket and USB port power down after 15 minutes or so. What threw me was that if you open the door, the power come back on.

So, the dash cam works just fine.
Is there a PARK mode that senses people around the car when everything is turned off ?

I just took out of commission my dash cam that plugged into the OBD port and could detect bumps while the car was off. I'm looking at the Garmin cams right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 09:44 AM   #4
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Is there a PARK mode that senses people around the car when everything is turned off ?

I just took out of commission my dash cam that plugged into the OBD port and could detect bumps while the car was off. I'm looking at the Garmin cams right now.
According to the manual, the dash cam must remain powered up after you exit the car. Since both my MB GLK and M235i power down when I exit, the only “park” solution I’m aware of so far is to unplug the USB cable from the camera which allows it to operate on the internal battery. The internal battery is good for about 30 minutes.

Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      09-28-2022, 11:28 AM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
According to the manual, the dash cam must remain powered up after you exit the car. Since both my MB GLK and M235i power down when I exit, the only “park” solution I’m aware of so far is to unplug the USB cable from the camera which allows it to operate on the internal battery. The internal battery is good for about 30 minutes.
I would not hard wire this auxiliary battery, but charge it thru the accessory lighter and use it as a parking mode device

https://shop.blackvue.com/product/po...attery-b-124x/
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 11:37 AM   #6
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Agreed, I would not hard-wire power to the dash cam.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 12:59 PM   #7
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I had tapped my cam into the mirror power with a mini voltage regulator. It seems to shut off when the car goes to sleep.

Mine's an Aukey DR01 (olderish model) but it fits jammed between the mirror and headliner just fine without a mount. Small piece of double sided tape on the mirror for safety. It looks to be about the same dimensions as your Garmin.

The angle in the pic looks more pronounced from underneath but that is my normal straight mirror angle. I also have to tuck that wire back in...
Attached Images

Last edited by freakystyly; 09-28-2022 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50