THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Update on B58 problems - finally resolved

08-17-2022, 10:30 AM   #23
LuckyMike
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240, X3 M40i, 320ix, X5 35d

Kern, let me clarify, in my case the PCV valve did not fail. I was describing another common issue with allowing the car to idle for an extended period as an example. My issue was turbo failure with resulting engine failure (turbo shaft nut was found somewhere other than on the shaft and the turbo was destroyed). I am making an assumption that the root cause is related to idling the car for an extended period immediately prior; the correlation seems too likely to ignore.
Aleksander, the initial quote was for a replacement engine and turbo (brand new). My dealership has been excellent to work with and has reduced the quote significantly so this car that is in otherwise perfect condition can be repaired instead of scrapped.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 04:53 PM   #24
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

Please define what "idling for an extended time" is? 10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour?? In other words how long did you idle your engine before the turbo blew.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 11:13 AM   #25
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyMike View Post
Kern, let me clarify, in my case the PCV valve did not fail. I was describing another common issue with allowing the car to idle for an extended period as an example. My issue was turbo failure with resulting engine failure (turbo shaft nut was found somewhere other than on the shaft and the turbo was destroyed). I am making an assumption that the root cause is related to idling the car for an extended period immediately prior; the correlation seems too likely to ignore.
Aleksander, the initial quote was for a replacement engine and turbo (brand new). My dealership has been excellent to work with and has reduced the quote significantly so this car that is in otherwise perfect condition can be repaired instead of scrapped.
that's just crazy.

not that PCV's failing from extended idling makes any more sense

but taking out the whole engine makes no sense to me. i would push the dealer to provide more specifics on how that actually happened and diagnose the root cause, although they probably won't.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0