THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Cost of Installing Lowering Springs

09-03-2022, 10:04 AM   #1
Marky67
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Cost of Installing Lowering Springs

Hey guys,

I've ordered some Dinan springs along with their bump stops for my M235i. I'm curious as to how much these will run me in terms of labor? I've read that Dinan themselves state that labor is 7-8 hours, but I find that hard to believe. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #2
jv92red
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i (SOLD) E92M3 (SOLD)

Call around to some of your local BMW shops or European shops, or if none of those two are around then general performance shops can handle this job as there is nothing out of the ordinary compared to other makes to do this job. Dinan labor is comparable to dealer rates it looks like. I was quoted $400 by a local European performance shop to install some used Dinan springs I picked up several months ago. I just haven't gotten around to having it done yet as money has been tied up elsewhere for me.

If you're handy with tools and have installed springs or McPherson struts on any other car the process is about the same and you can save the money. You'll need a spring compressor those you can borrow rent from an auto parts store. The hardest part of the job is getting the front knuckle spread to get the strut out. You can buy a special socket on Amazon for ~$12 or just figure out how to spread it on your own. The rear is easier and is like many other makes with a separate damper/spring setup. There are tons of DIY's on here (here I mean for our same suspension platform which is shared by a few other BMW cars as well - you'll find the most relevant info on the F30/F31 suspension pages I've seen) If I had more time I would do mine myself but for $400 I'll just sub it out.
Appreciate 1
Marky6710.50
      09-04-2022, 11:44 AM   #3
Marky67
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv92red View Post
Call around to some of your local BMW shops or European shops, or if none of those two are around then general performance shops can handle this job as there is nothing out of the ordinary compared to other makes to do this job. Dinan labor is comparable to dealer rates it looks like. I was quoted $400 by a local European performance shop to install some used Dinan springs I picked up several months ago. I just haven't gotten around to having it done yet as money has been tied up elsewhere for me.

If you're handy with tools and have installed springs or McPherson struts on any other car the process is about the same and you can save the money. The hardest part of the job is getting the front knuckle spread to get the strut out. You can buy a special socket on Amazon for ~$12 or just figure out how to spread it on your own. The rear is easier and is like many other makes with a separate damper/spring setup. There are tons of DIY's on here (here I mean for our same suspension platform which is shared by a few other BMW cars as well - you'll find the most relevant info on the F30/F31 suspension pages I've seen) If I had more time I would do mine myself but for $400 I'll just sub it out.
Thanks for the reply!

I wish I had mechanical knowledge, I'd definitely do it myself. The most complex thing I've done to my car was installing an aftermarket intake.

$400 sounds about right. I've got one shop that's done several installs for me. I'll give them a call and see what they say. They're pretty fair priced so we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 01:51 PM   #4
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

$400 sounds about right. Mine is going in tomorrow, a not so local but not too far shop from me quoted $790 cash installed including parts. Socal.
Appreciate 1
Marky6710.50
      09-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #5
Marky67
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
$400 sounds about right. Mine is going in tomorrow, a not so local but not too far shop from me quoted $790 cash installed including parts. Socal.
Very reassuring to hear that. $790 is a great deal!
Appreciate 0