THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Muffler Delete Questions

08-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
FakeMf22m240
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22 m240i

Muffler Delete Questions

Hey all

I have a f22 m240i, my current exhaust setup is the m performance axel back and Dinan Midpipe (resonator delete). Car is still under factory warranty so i can not go the DP route just yet. I was wondering how much more exhaust noise i would get out of a muffler delete? The idea would be to purchase a muffler delete kit and then ultimately sell the m performance axel back. Has anyone ever heard or have any info on what how much this would affect exhaust noise?

I do like a loud car and will eventually get catless DP's. I know the DP makes the most difference on exhaust sound, but due to the warranty that is not a possibility just yet.

Tl;Dr Will a muffler delete drastically change the exhaust sound over an m performance axel back?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 01:02 PM   #2
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeMf22m240 View Post
Hey all

I have a f22 m240i, my current exhaust setup is the m performance axel back and Dinan Midpipe (resonator delete). Car is still under factory warranty so i can not go the DP route just yet. I was wondering how much more exhaust noise i would get out of a muffler delete? The idea would be to purchase a muffler delete kit and then ultimately sell the m performance axel back. Has anyone ever heard or have any info on what how much this would affect exhaust noise?

I do like a loud car and will eventually get catless DP's. I know the DP makes the most difference on exhaust sound, but due to the warranty that is not a possibility just yet.

Tl;Dr Will a muffler delete drastically change the exhaust sound over an m performance axel back?
If you are going to get a DP at some point I would just go that route. I had the M Perf axleback installed with everything else stock and it was sort of noisy. Went catless DP and then came the roars. My local BMW dealer knows about the catless DP (since I had a drivetrain malfunction code because of the 02 sensor throwing the code-- only happened twice in a year). The tech and service advisor told me not to worry about it and reset the code. I suppose if something were to really break, and related to the exhaust, sensors etc, they probably wouldnt cover that but I feel a catless DP is a low risk mod.

Do you for sure know that a catless DP would void some or all of your warranty? Of course my bias here is to recommend going with the catless DP since that's what i did vs a muffler delete as that isn't something that I would to do so take the feedback with a grain of salt.
      08-24-2022, 03:19 PM   #3
FakeMf22m240
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Quote:
Hey all

If you are going to get a DP at some point I would just go that route. I had the M Perf axleback installed with everything else stock and it was sort of noisy. Went catless DP and then came the roars. My local BMW dealer knows about the catless DP (since I had a drivetrain malfunction code because of the 02 sensor throwing the code-- only happened twice in a year). The tech and service advisor told me not to worry about it and reset the code. I suppose if something were to really break, and related to the exhaust, sensors etc, they probably wouldnt cover that but I feel a catless DP is a low risk mod.

Do you for sure know that a catless DP would void some or all of your warranty? Of course my bias here is to recommend going with the catless DP since that's what i did vs a muffler delete as that isn't something that I would to do so take the feedback with a grain of salt.
My tech at the dealership said that because it would trip the O2 sensor it would require a tune to ensure that it wouldnt happen and any sort of tune voids the drivetrain warranty. What is your agreement with your techs? because i would love to use their reasoning to try to convince my tech that adding the downpipes wouldnt void my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 08:01 PM   #4
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
My tech at the dealership said that because it would trip the O2 sensor it would require a tune to ensure that it wouldnt happen and any sort of tune voids the drivetrain warranty. What is your agreement with your techs? because i would love to use their reasoning to try to convince my tech that adding the downpipes wouldnt void my warranty.
Couple of comments here. Prior to adding a tune I installed the catless DP along with a 90 degree o2 sensor spacer. I had a CEL twice in a year: the one the dealer cleared since my car was there when it happened, and the other went away after a restart of the engine. Having a CEL go off because of a modification definitely isn't ideal but there ways to work with it or around it without a tune.

Regarding warranty work and modding your car: the couple service advisors I have spoken to at my local dealer say that if my car was tuned and i brought it in because something broke or was malfunctioning, they would diagnose what the issue is and what caused it. If they deem it was unrelated to the tune then warranty would cover repair. They didn't say anything about just blanketly saying "because of your tune your whole warranty is voided." But......I assume that most things related to the motor, transmission, fueling system, axles, driveshaft, etc. may not be covered if they break because of the tune.

It depends on what your risk tolerance is too and if you have a slush fund in case something breaks and it isn't covered.