THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Slight vibration under load from 55mph-80mph

02-13-2022, 12:09 AM   #1
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Slight vibration under load from 55mph-80mph

Dunno if anyone has had something similar.

Car currently has 74k miles, but it started over 1.5 years ago.

It hasnt gotten worse, but basically under load (any load, even at like 1/3) and similar level of vibration. I can kind of feel it in the pedals, and under my butt. Thought it could be wheels, but had car aligned, wheels balanced, and even swapped wheels out back to stock and still happens.

Car is out of warranty now, but i had the extended warranty, and had it in the dealer a couple of times for this, they said its probably normal (BS), and in the last inspection after warranty expired they said, well looks like diff bushing might have light tearing.

But this ONLY happens while accelerating, if i let off the throttle in those speeds it is smooth. So leads me to believe it could very well be along the driveline somewhere? Getting the transmission service done soon, and new coils, will probably do the flex disc as well. Just curious if anyone has any ideas rather than me just throwing the kitchen sink of parts at it.
      02-21-2022, 11:04 AM   #2
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I had this on my 335, it was an axle, specifically the inner CV :/

I got some used axles from LKQ but it was a nightmare getting one that wasn't trashed when they removed it from the cars. Avoid LKQ if you can...
Ended up finding a pair of axles on ebay with like 3k miles, that solved the vibration.

Doesn't mean it will be the same for you though. I would definitely inspect the flex disc as well.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 08:01 PM   #3
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Older BMW's and this was the control arm bushing... Give it a look!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 03:24 AM   #4
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
I had this on my 335, it was an axle, specifically the inner CV :/

I got some used axles from LKQ but it was a nightmare getting one that wasn't trashed when they removed it from the cars. Avoid LKQ if you can...
Ended up finding a pair of axles on ebay with like 3k miles, that solved the vibration.

Doesn't mean it will be the same for you though. I would definitely inspect the flex disc as well.
I should have specified, they replaced the rear axles at one point i had complained about it, they replaced them a couple years back, it helped a bit, but more or less still there.
      02-23-2022, 03:26 AM   #5
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Older BMW's and this was the control arm bushing... Give it a look!
Yeah my next step is really do all the bushings, flex disc, rear subframe, diff, control arms etc.
      03-17-2022, 11:08 AM   #6
Strike_Zero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I have the same thing going on. The dealer kept shrugging their shoulders. They "concluded" after several visits and new tires, it is a bent wheel. I'm not convinced.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 01:41 AM   #7
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike_Zero View Post
I have the same thing going on. The dealer kept shrugging their shoulders. They "concluded" after several visits and new tires, it is a bent wheel. I'm not convinced.
For me its definitely not a bent wheel, because I just bent a wheel, and had to throw on my stock set until new wheel gets here, and still does it with these, and these are definitely not bent.
      03-25-2022, 09:56 PM   #8
Strike_Zero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ah damnit! I hope you find out what the issue is.

I got another wheel coming and will try that as well. If that doesn't work I'm going to try to troubleshoot it part by part. I just have to decide where to start LOL!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 07:46 PM   #9
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike_Zero View Post
Ah damnit! I hope you find out what the issue is.

I got another wheel coming and will try that as well. If that doesn't work I'm going to try to troubleshoot it part by part. I just have to decide where to start LOL!
Yeah, i mean its under load, so couple of things I am thinking could be off the bat, flex disc, engine mounts maybe? Transmission mounts?
      03-28-2022, 07:55 AM   #10
Strike_Zero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

In my older BMWs, it was combination of symptoms.

For the E36, it would vibrate under load and at a certain speed range. It turned out to be center bearing. For the E34, it vibrate under load, on lift off/coast down, and shake the car at a certain speed. It was the flex disc.

The vibration in my 228i is close to what I experienced in my E34. The only difference is I feel it more in the seat than the whole car. That makes me want to focus more at the rear of the car.
Appreciate 0