THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning F22 M235i Xdrive (N55) turbo seized at 65k miles

11-10-2023, 01:10 PM   #1
Cheezbandit451
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i Xdrive

F22 M235i Xdrive (N55) turbo seized at 65k miles

Alright, so my turbo seized. Now this is a kick in the nuts BUT good can come from it right? First off, I want to know some common fail points of these turbos. My impeller just won’t spin. No boost leaks. Can’t really find a cause of this problem other than the turbo just gave out. Oil changes are frequent. 4-5k miles. I’ve put 9k on the car since I’ve had it and done 2 oil changes. There’s no oil leaks, no oil pooling in my turbo. We stuck a camera down there as well. Here is a link to a video of the impeller seized

So other than being really confused at such an early failure, it could also be time to upgrade. Now I’m new to the world of upgrading cars. If I got stage 1 turbo and tune it, is there any other mods id need, Other than a CP? I’m not really looking to getting a new DP, BUT, I’m not against it if it’s going to be required or highly suggested to fully support stage 1 turbo and tune.
It is my daily so I don’t want stage 2 at all. So just hit me with what y’all know about stage one I’m very open to brand suggestions for the turbo and tune, and if someone has stage 1 with upgrades turbo, I’d love to hear how you went about it.

I’m not the most knowledgeable, but extremely open to learn. So if I sound stupid, assume so, and please provide insight I can learn from! You can make me look stupid too
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 02:58 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I recommend the Pure500

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 08:34 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

What were your mods? That likely would play into it. If you haven't modded it, there is a high likelihood the prior owner did and went back to stock.

If you want to maintain daily driveability and reliability, stick with stock. All the aftermarket turbos, while making more power, trade lag for that power. Buyer beware.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 08:37 PM   #4
Cheezbandit451
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
What were your mods? That likely would play into it.
The car is stock from my knowledge. I haven’t put anything on it, haven’t seen anything aftermarket/performance. Unless it has a tune I’m unaware of then it’s stock
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:39 PM   #5
Cheezbandit451
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If you want to maintain daily driveability and reliability, stick with stock. All the aftermarket turbos, while making more power, trade lag for that power. Buyer beware.
I ordered a stock one, it is my daily so for now I made the decision to not upgrade the turbo. How badly does a stage 1 tune effect reliability assuming supported mods are installed like a CP
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 02:38 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezbandit451 View Post
I ordered a stock one, it is my daily so for now I made the decision to not upgrade the turbo. How badly does a stage 1 tune effect reliability assuming supported mods are installed like a CP
Stage 1 is no big deal for these cars at all. If it were me, I'd first do a high quality catted downpipe ($1600-1800), especially if you can swing it when you do the turbo replacement. Reducing the back pressure on the turbo improves longevity, improves throttle/turbo response, adds additional exhaust tone/volume with no drone or excessive cabin noise, no CEL, and will add around 20whp/25wtq with no other mods necessary. There's no downside to a high quality downpipe.

The best catted DPs are those from HJS, Active Auto, and Fabspeed.