THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bimmertech Amp appears to disable OTA map updates

05-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Bimmertech Amp appears to disable OTA map updates

TLDR: Map updates stopped in 2016 just after installation of Bimmertech PP82DSP amp at 2015-2 base map / 2016-1 regional. Reinstalling OEM amp has restarted map updates at a rate of 3 / month, now at 2015-2 base, 2017-1 regional.

Good day, all.

Back about 2 years ago, I had an experience where the dealer couldn't reflash my ECU until I reinstalled my OEM amp (http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260271). There was some back and forth over whether the amp was the cause or it was just a coincidence, and I don't believe anyone ever saw the problem again.

About two months ago, I got an email from BMW reminding me that my free map updates were coming to an end in May, and asking if I wanted to renew. That got me to thinking that, while I remember seeing the maps update multiple times after I first owned the car, I didn't remember it doing so recently. I went to look at the map dates and found I was on 2015-2 for the base and 2016-1 for the regional map. So, no updates for 2 years.

I called BMW support ("Hey, guys, WTF?") and after having someone read the script about how "not all regions update all the time", he finally agreed that there should have been something over the past two years. Finally, he mentioned that sometimes an issue with the base map would cause updates to stop, and having the base map reinstalled manually would fix that. He also told me that I was entitled to "one free manual update at a dealer within the life of the contract". I said that was fine, as I had a scheduled free service at the dealer coming up about 3 weeks later, and I would have them do it then.

Remembering the ECU update issue, I reinstalled the Bimmertech amp a few days before the service. When scheduling the service, I told the SA that I would need the map update done, as my OTA updates were not occurring. That prompted two comments: (1) Your car gets OTA updates? (2) There's a charge to reinstall the base map. However, he said he'd have his manager look into it. When I dropped the car off, he said the service manager had, after expressing surprise that my car got OTA updates ), called BMW warranty support and been told there was no coverage for a manual map update. The dealer said they could do it, but there would be a charge.

I told them to hold off, and called BMW support again. I then lived through the "not every region gets updates all the time" script, and walked this genius through the issue. He also eventually admitted there was "one free manual update", but didn't know how it was paid for. He said I didn't need to pay, but it wasn't a supported warranty claim. Eventually, we reached the assumption this is a dealer good will item.

The service dealer I use (15 minutes from my office) is not where I bought the car (1.5 hours from my office). I figured that if I was going to do a good will shot, I had a better chance at the purchasing dealer, and planned to call and try to set up the install. I then got distracted, and forgot about it for a few days. And 2 days later, my car started downloading map updates again. Thinking about it, I realized that the map updates stopped just about the time I installed the Bimmertech amp (the older PP82DSP, not the current PP86DSP). Really?

I left the OEM in to see what would happen. It's been doing one every week or so, and has just completed the fourth one since I reinstalled the OEM amp (now at regional 2017-1).

Sure, if I want to prove it's the Bimmertech amp, I suppose I should pull the OEM and reconnect the Bimmertech, then drive around for a while and see what happens. Instead, for the moment, I'll re-up my map service for a year ($50) before it expires next week, leave the OEM amp in, try to get caught up (another month or so of the crappy OEM sound), reinstall the Bimmertech amp, and see if updates then stop again.

Side note: Anyone know what the current regional map version is for the Northeast states so I know when to reconnect the Bimmertech?

Best regards,
George

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi

Last edited by Zooks527; 05-09-2018 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 1