THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Elite (M240i)

08-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #331
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctemkin View Post
Maybe I jinxed myself a week ago by saying that the car was fine. I have now gotten a number of CELs (same ones as before the Dinan unit was replaced). I have an appointment to bring the car in next week. These faults seem to occur when the car is at relatively low speed.
Last time did they replace the Dinan computer and the harness or just the computer?

Pat
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #332
ctemkin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

They replaced just the box and reconnected the harness.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #333
ctemkin
Private
Rep

This time, both the harness and the control unit are being replaced.
Appreciate 1
nikman011174.50
      09-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #334
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctemkin View Post
This time, both the harness and the control unit are being replaced.

Keep us posted....................................
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #335
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I am happy to report all is well since my harness was replaced.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #336
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

No CELs since my 3rd unit & harness. Fingers crossed.
But, I have not scanned for codes since it was replaced. So, there could be error codes that are not throwing a CEL.
Maybe part of me doesn't want to know and that's why I haven't gotten around to scanning it yet... Ignorance is bliss.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #337
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Well my CEL came back.

Car is definitely making too much boost, downright scary if I put my foot into it.

Called my dealer and they told me there have been a few other M240i's with the same issue and its usually the Dinan harness.

Dropping it off tomorrow.

Dinan get your sh_t together. I've already had mine in for a CEL once already.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #338
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Well my CEL came back.

Car is definitely making too much boost, downright scary if I put my foot into it.

Called my dealer and they told me there have been a few other M240i's with the same issue and its usually the Dinan harness.

Dropping it off tomorrow.

Dinan get your sh_t together. I've already had mine in for a CEL once already.
What have they done previously?

Pat
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #339
ctemkin
Private
Rep

Picked up my 2018 240i yesterday. They replaced just the harness, since the control unit was replaced around 5 weeks ago. No problems driving home to DC from Annapolis. I am happy to have it back.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #340
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

So many problems for a supposed premium product
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:08 PM   #341
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep

Got my car back. They replaced the harness and computer this time. Dinan sent out new stuff as opposed to the dealer using from their stock.

Only drove home so far. I will report back after I get some miles on it.

My impression is that they had issues with the early harnesses. I think the harnesses were causing damage to the Dinan computers.

Hopefully they have it all sorted out now....

Pat
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #342
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Had my Stage 1 (3rd one installed) removed yesterday, ... sadly, ..... just couldnt deal with perpetual CELs anymore, ..... full refund on the way from Dinan.

The CELs that my car was throwing:
-----------------------------------------------
-1: P12A4 $7E8 BMW
-BMW Description
The diagnostic function monitors the DME's barometric pressure sensor. The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the Absolute Pressure Sensor. The ECM sets the OBDII code when the Absolute Pressure Sensor is not to factory specifications.

-2: P12A5 $7E8 BMW
-BMW Description
During the shutdown phase the diagnosis function monitors the DME to determine whether the ambient-air, intake-manifold and boost- pressure sensors are measuring the same pressure. The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the Absolute Pressure Sensor. The ECM sets the OBDII code when the Absolute Pressure Sensor is not to factory specifications.

-3: P112F $7E8 BMW
-BMW Description
The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor. The ECM sets the OBDII code when the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor is not to factory specifications.
---------------------------------

I do see people in this thread saying things that seem to indicate that Dinan is having all kinds of problems with these tuners for the B58 engine, but there are not that many occurrences. I have been told that mine is ALMOST unique. Remember those you will hear the most from are the ones having problems, not the people driving with theirs ERROR free.
If my car was not a lease, I would have stuck it out a bit longer to help Dinan trouble shoot this issue.
In 2020, when this lease it up, I will be getting an M3, and I WILL come back to Dinan_Engineering and will MOD it with ALL that Dinan offers.
I am very pleased with the overall service that Dinan has provided, .... and i LOVE all the other Dinan MODs on my car.

Last edited by nikman011; 09-20-2018 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: grammer corrections
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #343
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
Had my Stage 1 (3rd one installed) removed yesterday, ... sadly, ..... just couldnt deal with perpetual CELs anymore, ..... full refund on the way from Dinan.

The CELs that my car was throwing:
-----------------------------------------------
-1: P12A4 $7E8 BMW
-BMW Description
The diagnostic function monitors the DME's barometric pressure sensor. The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the Absolute Pressure Sensor. The ECM sets the OBDII code when the Absolute Pressure Sensor is not to factory specifications.

-2: P12A5 $7E8 BMW
-BMW Description
During the shutdown phase the diagnosis function monitors the DME to determine whether the ambient-air, intake-manifold and boost- pressure sensors are measuring the same pressure. The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the Absolute Pressure Sensor. The ECM sets the OBDII code when the Absolute Pressure Sensor is not to factory specifications.

-3: P112F $7E8 BMW
-BMW Description
The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor. The ECM sets the OBDII code when the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor is not to factory specifications.

I do see people in this thread saying things that seem to indicate that Dinan is having all kinds of problems with these tuners for the B58 engine, but there are not that many occurrences. I have been told that mine is ALMOST unique. Remember those you will hear the most from are the ones having problems, not the people driving with theirs ERROR free.
If my car was not a lease, I would have stuck it out a bit longer to help Dinan trouble shoot this issue.
In 2020, when this lease it up, I will be getting an M3, and I WILL come back to Dinan_Engineering and will MOD it with ALL that Dinan offers.
I am very pleased with the overall service that Dinan has provided, .... and i LOVE all the other Dinan MODs on my car.
Did they ever replace the harness, or just the Dinan computer?

Pat
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #344
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddy1 View Post
Did they ever replace the harness, or just the Dinan computer?

Pat

the orig --> just unit --> entire tuner (unit & harness)

The original tuner had different communication errors, including being unreachable by the ALL phone apps. on the second it was reachable with the phone apps, but throwing new CELs, then the 3rd, which ran for about 2K miles ~6 wks, no errors, then errors.
      09-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #345
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
the orig --> just unit --> entire tuner (unit & harness)

The original tuner had different communication errors, including being unreachable by the ALL phone apps. on the second it was reachable with the phone apps, but throwing new CELs, then the 3rd, which ran for about 2K miles ~6 wks, no errors, then errors.
Okay, got it. It looks like there are a few of us on #3 now. I am optimistic as Dinan sent out a new harness and computer. The date on it is the end of August 2018. If they have not fixed what went wrong previously on this one I wonder if they ever will.

If I get any more errors mine will be coming off as well...

I agree on the great customer service from Dinan. They are certainly losing money on mine with the dealer labor, rental cars and parts though.

Any idea the date of manufacture of your last one?

Pat
Appreciate 1
nikman011174.50
      09-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #346
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Very sorry to hear the Stage 1 didn't operate properly on your car (fasteddy1). A shame. Mine has been error free and actually improved normal operation from stock.

Also happy to hear you are not faulting Dinan as many would.

I can't say for sure I'd be as forgiving as you if I were in your situation, although I'd hope I would be. The frustration of having something out of the ordinary pop up on a new car, and cannot be fixed can certainly try one's patience and often-times afix blame where it shouldn't be.

I suppose if one were to rationally look at the circumstances (thousands of cars produced using thousands of individual parts (coming from various vendors) all expected to operate perfectly and within design parameters). It is entirely possible that adding something more to that mix, could push a particular car that is operating just barely inside design parameters (not throwing a code), to push it just over the line that car to start throwing CEL's while other cars that are operating more centered within the operating parameters to not throw CELs.

So, in a case like the above, BMW sells a car that performs as designed (although very close to the point where it would start showing faults). Dinan produces a product that works as designed on mass produced cars that operate within a more neutral operating window. Like blood work if normal range is between 140 and 199....most people test around 150-180..someone tests at 199 (normal, but a small change in diet can push the 199 into the 200 range while not doing the same to the others) if that analogy makes sense.

I'd wager that during QA when cars are tested before release from the factory, a small percentage are not operating as designed and are fixed, recycled or not sold at all. If all things were perfect we wouldn't need a "Lemon" law.

I think Dinan giving you a full refund is fair and you can hopefully enjoy your lease w/o issue until turn in. Even w/o a tune, the M240i is still a great performing car. I also think an M3 would be a great step up next go-round.

Thanks for posting the codes and best of luck going forward. Do post again should your car start to throw codes in the future (w/o any tunes or mods). Would be interesting to see there is something particular to your car that as it wears may manifest with CELS.
Appreciate 1
nikman011174.50
      09-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #347
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddy1 View Post
Okay, got it. It looks like there are a few of us on #3 now. I am optimistic as Dinan sent out a new harness and computer. The date on it is the end of August 2018. If they have not fixed what went wrong previously on this one I wonder if they ever will.

If I get any more errors mine will be coming off as well...

I agree on the great customer service from Dinan. They are certainly losing money on mine with the dealer labor, rental cars and parts though.

Any idea the date of manufacture of your last one?

Pat
Not sure what the date, it is gone, ....... he said they did have a team working on it, and at one point, they thought about having me ship the car down to Alabama for testing since there were only a couple of us with these error codes, but I passed on that.
      09-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #348
ctemkin
Private
Rep

Nikman011, very sorry to hear that three tries didn't fix the problem.

The error codes you list are different from the ones I had (P10F3 and P0237). Maybe there is more than one potential issue, depending on the particular car or whatever. Also, despite the error codes and CELs--which, by the way, would go off and then, after a day or two, back on--I never detected any problem with the car's drivability or acceleration.

Here's hoping that I never again see that little orange engine past start-up.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 12:38 AM   #349
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I am happy to report my unit which i installed in Aug 2017 is behaving perfectly still after a harness swap(Aug 2018). The car has over 24,000 miles with the Dinan on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #350
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
I am happy to report my unit which i installed in Aug 2017 is behaving perfectly still after a harness swap(Aug 2018). The car has over 24,000 miles with the Dinan on it.
Good to hear. Sounds like the new harness made the difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #351
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

So I picked up my car from the dealer this morning.
They gave me a loaner the past week and everything was completely free and covered under warranty.

My rep told me there was a short in the Dinan harness causing too much boost signal to be sent and then it would eventually trigger the engine to cut boost as a safety measure.

Rep said they replaced the Dinan harness with a new one.

Car ran beautifully on the way to work felt like it was making good power.

I'll see how long this lasts.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #352
ctemkin
Private
Rep

Working fine

Since the harness was replaced several weeks ago, the car is running fine, and there have been no error faults. I am cautiously optimistic.
Appreciate 0