THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Tuning- warranty

05-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i X-Drive

Tuning- warranty

Hey guys, i got a 2016 m235i xdrive.

I have fitted a ER catless downpipe currently and have a few parts that should arrive soon

Vrsf chargepipe
Bms intake

Now that i have all these I'm thinking a tune is a must. I want to go with Eurocharged here in Toronto but i have a few questions before

My car is a lease and I'm going to buy it out at the end. Main concern is what happens to my free maintenance?

When i bring the car into the dealership for scheduled maintenance are there any surprises i will have or will it be a smooth transaction?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
The hardware should be a non-issue. Obviously you won't have a warranty from BMW on the actual aftermarket parts, but they don't void your entire warranty. I would be more concerned with the tune. I don't believe Eurocharged allows the end user to flash back to stock. I would not run a tune under warranty that I can't flash back to stock myself.

If the free maintenance is your only concern it's a non-issue. I've brought my car in and they don't mind at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
The hardware should be a non-issue. Obviously you won't have a warranty from BMW on the actual aftermarket parts, but they don't void your entire warranty. I would be more concerned with the tune. I don't believe Eurocharged allows the end user to flash back to stock. I would not run a tune under warranty that I can't flash back to stock myself.

If the free maintenance is your only concern it's a non-issue. I've brought my car in and they don't mind at all.
Thanks for the reply, i wanted to go with eurocharged since they seem to have amazing numbers for a stage 2 tune.

They posted a dyno graph of a m235 with intake DP CP pump gas running 382whp and 512wtq
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmut235 View Post
Thanks for the reply, i wanted to go with eurocharged since they seem to have amazing numbers for a stage 2 tune.

They posted a dyno graph of a m235 with intake DP CP pump gas running 382whp and 512wtq
How do you flash back to stock? I could see BMW scanning your ECU while it's in for free maintenance, etc. Then you're screwed.

You should really look at the BM3 tune. It's the standard right now. For me I would only do JB4 or BM3. I've heard good things about MHD too.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

for tune:
either go with a JB4, which can be resold, or used with a flash and other upgrades down the line. Or go flash straight away, use BM3 which license can be resold and known tuners already have maps for.

They have many other flavors of tunes available, some cost less, offer less power, etc.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
for tune:
either go with a JB4, which can be resold, or used with a flash and other upgrades down the line. Or go flash straight away, use BM3 which license can be resold and known tuners already have maps for.

They have many other flavors of tunes available, some cost less, offer less power, etc.
Thanks for the reply guys, has anyone had any experience with eurocharged? I really like how they offer to hover over factory warranty for 16k
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
Jpup
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I’ve been in the same boat, researching tunes and their implication on a warranty. I’ve read numerous threads and the consensus I’ve gotten is even after you flash back to stock (or remove the tune/jb4/etc), they can still see there was a tune at some point. It changes certain targets that can indicate to an engineer there was an alteration at some point. Now from my understanding, this won’t ever play a part unless you need to use a warranty claim on something major to the motor or turbo. But just know, if you tune and something catastrophic happens they will find evidence a tune existed.
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      05-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #8
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
I’ve been in the same boat, researching tunes and their implication on a warranty. I’ve read numerous threads and the consensus I’ve gotten is even after you flash back to stock (or remove the tune/jb4/etc), they can still see there was a tune at some point. It changes certain targets that can indicate to an engineer there was an alteration at some point. Now from my understanding, this won’t ever play a part unless you need to use a warranty claim on something major to the motor or turbo. But just know, if you tune and something catastrophic happens they will find evidence a tune existed.
I understand, the conclusion i have now is to forget about my warranty and get the eurocharged tune since my maintenance is not affected.

I plan on keeping this car till it dies so would love to have it running fine all the time. Should i get some sort of inspection to make sure theres nothing faulty that bmw should replace before i get a tune?

Just done want to get a tune and have something go wrong and i dont know who to blame
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE
Just done want to get a tune and have something go wrong and i dont know who to blame[/QUOTE]

First thing is ask if they offer money back if you are not satisfied with their work.

I got burned from a known tuner this way. Nothing but misfires, and says sorry no refunds...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Damn that suckss :/

Tried launching the car couple days ago and got "Chassis Malfunction" warning

Booked an appointment with bmw may 31 (closest day) to see what the hell it was.

Cars driving fine now but freaked me out when it first happened
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #11
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Booked an appointment with bmw may 31 (closest day) to see what the hell it was.

if its AWD, you have about 1.5 -2.0 seconds to launch if you are in Launch Control or it will throw a chassis malf. Restart the car its fine, but that sounds like it could of been that.

Another is having less than 1/4 tank of gas and driving hard, usually on track will throw a chassis malf CEL. This happens more with an upgraded lpfp vs. stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #12
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Quote:

if its AWD, you have about 1.5 -2.0 seconds to launch if you are in Launch Control or it will throw a chassis malf. Restart the car its fine, but that sounds like it could of been that.

Another is having less than 1/4 tank of gas and driving hard, usually on track will throw a chassis malf CEL. This happens more with an upgraded lpfp vs. stock.
That made me feel better, ya i think i held the launch control a bit too long makes sense.

Will update you guys as to what it was after bmw takes a look at it
Appreciate 0