THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Tire and rim insurance

04-25-2017, 05:39 AM   #1
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Tire and rim insurance

I just had three rims repaired and a tire replaced at the dealer under the insurance I bought with the car. Total dealer charge: $768. Cost to me: nada. I have had work done enough times now since purchase in March 2015 to have made up the cost of the insurance. These OEM wheels are just kerb rash magnets and I have gone through three tires in just over two years. This all despite the fact that I put on a winter set from December through March.
On the other hand, I had such a great experience that I also purchased tire and rim insurance for our X3 in October of 2015. So far, not one problem, likely because of the difference in profile and the material on the rims. And maybe my wife drives a bit more carefully than I do . . .
Moral of the story: skinny tires, fancy rims, buy insurance. Otherwise, not. My only hope is to do enough damage to the M235 over the 5 years of the policy to make up for the cost of the policy on the X3.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
Sir Thomas Bombadil
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
My only hope is to do enough damage to the M235 over the 5 years of the policy to make up for the cost of the policy on the X3.
Careful on this one. I also got the tire/rim insurance when I bought my car and I seem to recall the sales rep saying something about having coverage for 4/5 years, but you are limited to 4 rim replacements in that time.

I could be wrong, but you might want to confirm that before you go parking close to curbs thinking you're covered!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

This is one of those topics that seems to gather both sides - those who pay for the policy several times over, and those who never use it. Hoping I'm in the latter, as I skipped the coverage. Surprised they cover rashing - would have assumed that came under 'user error' like collision damage (I know - so many curbs are texting these days, you are bound to get one jumping out on you).
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #4
morphomeman
Major
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
So far no rim replacements, but plenty of kerb rash repair, with no complaints. The dealer makes out, since they get paid anyway.
I will check the contract, though, just to make sure.
One other thought: this insurance makes most sense for people who buy their cars, since the five-year coverage is not much more than the three. It is also transferable, a good selling point if you don't keep the car.
And again, the bigger the diameter of the rim, the greater the chance of damage to both rims and tires. So those of you who are thinking of buying a new car with 19s should definitely think seriously about purchasing.
Wait a second, can you buy a new 2 with 19s?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

I can go to my regional tire chain Discount/Americas Tire and get tire insurance for about $20 a tire on any new car. You rims are covered by your auto insurance if they get bent or broken. I get curb rash fixed for $100 a rim.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHoo
I can go to my regional tire chain Discount/Americas Tire and get tire insurance for about $20 a tire on any new car. You rims are covered by your auto insurance if they get bent or broken. I get curb rash fixed for $100 a rim.
Definitely an excellent option BUT many chains have dropped that program. You should 100% check before you decide against BMW coverage. You may still opt to skip it but worst case scenario is you think you need tire coverage, pass on BMW then find no one local will give you a tire policy.

Sometimes the best move may be skipping BMW coverage, buying new tires that include coverage. Imagine a lease that comes with run flats that you don't want, just stack them in the garage and run insured non RFT and remount the crap tires for turn in.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #7
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
So far no rim replacements, but plenty of kerb rash repair, with no complaints. The dealer makes out, since they get paid anyway.
I will check the contract, though, just to make sure.
One other thought: this insurance makes most sense for people who buy their cars, since the five-year coverage is not much more than the three. It is also transferable, a good selling point if you don't keep the car.
And again, the bigger the diameter of the rim, the greater the chance of damage to both rims and tires. So those of you who are thinking of buying a new car with 19s should definitely think seriously about purchasing.
Wait a second, can you buy a new 2 with 19s?
My dealer told me NO the rim/tire coverage is not transferable. I was told my BMW maintenance is but not the rim/tire coverage. I asked why and they said its only offered at the time of purchase of the vehicle new. I bought the car with 3000mi from original owner. I even asked to purchase it and still NO.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
This is one of those topics that seems to gather both sides - those who pay for the policy several times over, and those who never use it. Hoping I'm in the latter, as I skipped the coverage. Surprised they cover rashing - would have assumed that came under 'user error' like collision damage (I know - so many curbs are texting these days, you are bound to get one jumping out on you).
Thing is (this is to the OP, too), if you pay attention you won't curb rash your rims -- especially if you don't go for the stretch look with your tires. There's a reason a pretty fair number of low-profile tire models come with a lip that juts out just above the bead ...

I powder-coated my stock rims black the day after I took delivery of my car, which was the same month the OP did. Not one single bit of rash in 16k+ miles, with DDing in a major urban area with more than its fair share of high curbs/potholes, etc. and regular parallel parking (which, I must admit, I'm damned good at). This is because I pay attention.

IMHO, curb rash shouldn't be covered under that policy. I'm in total agreement with Maynard about this. That's user error. My car (and cars before it) is proof.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

So using that logic, a pothole is user error too right, since they can be seen and avoided I suppose. Accidents happen, and that is why there is insurance.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
So using that logic, a pothole is user error too right, since they can be seen and avoided I suppose. Accidents happen, and that is why there is insurance.
There's a massive difference between approaching a pothole or broken pavement at 30-40 MPH (or higher) and making a right turn with a curb at 10 mph or backing into a parallel parking spot at 2 MPH. C'mon.

Besides, it's almost always cosmetic. Curb rash rarely affects the structural integrity of the wheel -- and if it does, chances are that you hit that curb because you Weren't. Paying. Attention.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
There's a massive difference between approaching a pothole or broken pavement at 30-40 MPH (or higher) and making a right turn with a curb at 10 mph or backing into a parallel parking spot at 2 MPH. C'mon.

Besides, it's almost always cosmetic. Curb rash rarely affects the structural integrity of the wheel -- and if it does, chances are that you hit that curb because you Weren't. Paying. Attention.
Plus even if you're being as careful as it is humanly possible to be sometimes you just can't see a pothole. On my regular route I have the major ones memorized but if you're on an unfamiliar road, in the dark, and it's wet all I can say is best of luck, good sir.

Curb rash, on the other hand, if you can't see the curb that's entirely on you. We've all done it, and in my personal experience it happens most often when I'm used to one car then drive another that's not the same size. Luckily it's typically a cheap and easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
Y0tsuya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT, 2016 340i 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
That's because there are 2 types of people: Those who curb their wheels, and those who don't. If you're the latter, save your money and skip the insurance.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0tsuya View Post
That's because there are 2 types of people: Those who curb their wheels, and those who don't. If you're the latter, save your money and skip the insurance.
The flip side to that: The insurance costs so damn much partially because of people who use it to repair curb rash.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #14
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Just like wear and tear protection, it depends on luck/how good of driver you are. I've seen people get 3 nails in within their first 3 months of ownership.
      04-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #15
morphomeman
Major
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
By that logic, only bad drivers like me, who still can't parallel park properly after 40 years, should get the insurance. I'll take it!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #16
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

About how much is this insurance?

A few hundred bucks, it might be worth it.. anything more.. heck no!

I'm planning on running my tires bald during the summer then switching to 17" rims and tires in the fall... No reason for me to get it, since I'll be going aftermarket. Still, I'd love to know how much this insurance costs.