THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Advise on bm3 stage one that I haven't found answers to.

02-08-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Advise on bm3 stage one that I haven't found answers to.

Current setup: 2015 m235i xdrive
Fabspeed sport cat
ER charge pipe
AA intercooler
MPE exhaust

I'm considering bm3 stage one or jb plus. Looking for just a light tune as I plan on keeping the car long term. I have the whee package with bmw. So I'm wondering.
What will change maintenance wise when I go stage 1? Do I need a better whee setup for the hp increase? Spark plugs? Etc?

I know there is information on other posts which I have gathered. Just looking for advise from a long time user. Thank you in advance if anyone answers.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJaw View Post
Fabspeed sport cat
ER charge pipe
AA intercooler
MPE exhaust

I'm considering bm3 stage one or jb plus. Looking for just a light tune as I plan on keeping the car long term. I have the whee package with bmw. So I'm wondering.
What will change maintenance wise when I go stage 1? Do I need a better whee setup for the hp increase? Spark plugs? Etc?

I know there is information on other posts which I have gathered. Just looking for advise from a long time user. Thank you in advance if anyone answers.
You're already ahead on preparations. Do your oil changes every 6-7k miles and don't worry about it. These reputable BMS/MHD stag 1 and 2 tunes will not degrade lifespan on the engine itself but more so the surrounding components (charge pipe, clamps, turbocharger etc).

Would definitely look into a good tire or wheel/tire setup. Factory is pretty narrow and can degrade performance when adding power. Something 8-8.5" square or 8.5/9.5 staggered with a sticky tire would be fine.
      02-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

upgrading spark plugs is always recommended when tuning your car. Get the NGK colder plugs.

whether you go with bootmod3 or Jb+, there is no need to worry about long term reliability issues.
Both tunes are conservative and proven to be safe by thousands of users.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2020, 03:17 AM   #4
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Quote:
Fabspeed sport cat
ER charge pipe
AA intercooler
MPE exhaust

just change you spark plugs to ngk 97506 gap them down to 0.022" and flash the stage 2 91 octane file and you good

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
just change you spark plugs to ngk 97506 gap them down to 0.022" and flash the stage 2 91 octane file and you good
I know nothing about spark plugs, can you explain real quick why these are better and what gapping means?

Thanks in advance!

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
I know nothing about spark plugs, can you explain real quick why these are better and what gapping means?

Thanks in advance!
Research via Google. The information is out there as this has been rehashed so many times.

Stick with the OEM expensive Bosch plugs and there is no reason to change the gap on a standard Stage 1 setup or even Stage 2 for that matter. In a lot of cases, shrinking the gap leads to issues more than fixing them.

There are plenty of tutorials/DIYs out there regarding changing plugs on an N55.

A word of caution, if you're asking these types of questions then you might want to involve the help of a friend with automotive knowledge and/or take it to a BMW shop. Getting to the rear plugs is a bit of a pain as a handful of things need to be removed and you'll need to use a special thin wall socket to get the plugs out. The last thing you want to have happen is snap a plug in the head.
      02-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Research via Google. The information is out there as this has been rehashed so many times.

Stick with the OEM expensive Bosch plugs and there is no reason to change the gap on a standard Stage 1 setup or even Stage 2 for that matter. In a lot of cases, shrinking the gap leads to issues more than fixing them.

There are plenty of tutorials/DIYs out there regarding changing plugs on an N55.

A word of caution, if you're asking these types of questions then you might want to involve the help of a friend with automotive knowledge and/or take it to a BMW shop. Getting to the rear plugs is a bit of a pain as a handful of things need to be removed and you'll need to use a special thin wall socket to get the plugs out. The last thing you want to have happen is snap a plug in the head.
I kinda wanna hear what ChristosD comes up with, he sounded like he had a very specific recipe and when someone does there is usually an intuition behind it.

Interesting though you are saying to do something completely different lol

I was asking initially because I did not change my spark plugs on my last car, and that was FBO BM3 1+...

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 01:24 AM   #8
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post

have to agree with you. stock plugs are fine but in my personal circumstance with meth and custom map i was getting boost blow out with the stock plugs at stock gap. i tried to gap the stock plug lol broke it, but not advised apparently. since changing to the NGK for my car i haven't had a single missfire with my setup, i have also paired them with the Eldor coil packs. gap is literally the gap between the ground electrode and center electrode on the spark plug.

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Quote:
Fabspeed sport cat
ER charge pipe
AA intercooler
MPE exhaust

You're already ahead on preparations. Do your oil changes every 6-7k miles and don't worry about it. These reputable BMS/MHD stag 1 and 2 tunes will not degrade lifespan on the engine itself but more so the surrounding components (charge pipe, clamps, turbocharger etc).

Would definitely look into a good tire or wheel/tire setup. Factory is pretty narrow and can degrade performance when adding power. Something 8-8.5" square or 8.5/9.5 staggered with a sticky tire would be fine.
Any suggestions on specific wheels and tires ?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #10
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Any suggestions on specific wheels and tires ?
Can't say enough good things about Apex Racing wheels. Great price, direct 1/2 series fitment, and light/strong for the money.