THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Head Unit Resetting Every Minute

02-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
arron26
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series ‘14

Head Unit Resetting Every Minute

My radio unit keeps resetting every 30-60 seconds getting no further than the idrive screen. I can’t scroll through any menus or access any settings. From taking the car to a BMW garage I’ve been told I need to replace the head unit. Does anyone know what type of coding would be required or have any experience of replacing a head unit?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
JG_Media9
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arron26 View Post
My radio unit keeps resetting every 30-60 seconds getting no further than the idrive screen. I can’t scroll through any menus or access any settings. From taking the car to a BMW garage I’ve been told I need to replace the head unit. Does anyone know what type of coding would be required or have any experience of replacing a head unit?
that's weird. honestly you should just try disconnecting the battery for a while and then re-connecting.

but if you want to replace the head unit, you wont need any coding if you get the same screen.

you will need coding, lets say for example you have a 6.5' screen and upgrade to an 8.8' screen, its an easy code.

same process as this below

Last edited by JG_Media9; 02-18-2020 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #3
TINY BMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonz F22 View Post
that's weird. honestly you should just try disconnecting the battery for a while and then re-connecting.

but if you want to replace the head unit, you wont need any coding if you get the same screen.

you will need coding, lets say for example you have a 6.5' screen and upgrade to an 8.8' screen, its an easy code.

same process as this below
OP states new head unit, which is different from the issue in the video where the SCREEN was not properly recognized. Replacing the head unit does require coding as the parts need to be married together.
Appreciate 0