THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing M235iR Big Wing on stock trunk?

08-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
tzargarpur
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

M235iR Big Wing on stock trunk?

I plan on getting an M235iR wing and the R cars have a updated trunk to support the wing. I am curious if the new trunk is needed to run this wing without any risk of it denting or caving in the trunk. Ive seen countless cars with BIG wings with stock trunks with 2 series and many other platforms. Car will be occasionally tracked so it will see higher speeds.

Side note; The 235iR wing is mounted with two very thin supports compared to a wider bracket with most big wings

Can anyone comment on this? Opinions? Factual info? Am I crazy for thinking a wing can indent a trunk or is this a real issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
kthor703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Not sure about this car specifically, but in general having trunk reinforcements or chassis support can be required for some vehicles. With Aero, the more flimsy the overall structure, the more downforce is wasted on flex.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I think I just read that the M2 competing in GRM's track attack made 500# of rear downforce (with a pretty massive wing). DK if it was an iR wing or something more aggressive, but that much weight could dent panels.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzargarpur View Post
I plan on getting an M235iR wing and the R cars have a updated trunk to support the wing. I am curious if the new trunk is needed to run this wing without any risk of it denting or caving in the trunk. Ive seen countless cars with BIG wings with stock trunks with 2 series and many other platforms. Car will be occasionally tracked so it will see higher speeds.

Side note; The 235iR wing is mounted with two very thin supports compared to a wider bracket with most big wings

Can anyone comment on this? Opinions? Factual info? Am I crazy for thinking a wing can indent a trunk or is this a real issue?
Factual Info

From the Turner website:

"The trunklid must be reinforced from the underside to properly support the downforce from this wing."

More here: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...QEBAQEBAQEBAQI

Opinions & Thoughts

1) BMW Motorsports parts pricing is extremely high for what you get
2) You only buy those parts because you can't get equivalent parts anywhere else
3) There are many wings out there that you might choose instead
4) You can buy an extra trunklid for $500-625 (used / new) and reinforce it yourself for less than the BMW Motorsports price; or, just reinforce your lid for short money
5) To do it right, you'd provide support from the wing's uprights down to the car's frame rails
6) Adding rear downforce is generally done while adding an equivalent amount of front downforce; otherwise, you're likely making the car handle noticeably worse

Last edited by dradernh; 08-29-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
tzargarpur
Private
Rep

Thanks for the info, I dont plan on going OEM with the wing. OEM one is like 3 grand. Im buying a very high quality replica which is a 1 for 1 replica with high quality materials. M235iR's use regular M performance front splitters so ill likely be installing one of those.

Im not opposed to reinforcing the trunk somehow. Id have to ask around and research how. Maybe bonding carbon panels? Welding on plates? My fear is that I spend so much on the wing and end up with a damaged wing and dented in trunk haha
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:07 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Let's step back for a moment. Why are you putting a wing on the car - what do you think it will do to help you achieve your purpose?

FWIW, I've spent a considerable amount of time and money on very high-end motorsport wings and their associated aero improvements.

Before those types of parts can help an owner, the owner needs to be very clear on the end result they desire - as well as how the mods will help them achieve that result. Otherwise, the owner may well end up with a host of modifications that make their car worse than it was then they started.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      08-30-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
tzargarpur
Private
Rep

My plan for the car is to have the OEM M perm splitter paired with a M235iR wing. These two components are used in unison on the R's. My goal is to make the car faster and handle better while also appeasing my aesthetic preferences. I love the way the wing looks and I know it will help with my occasional track day. The car will see mainly (hard) daily driving. But I am being cautious so when I do hit the track I dont come home with a dented trunk or broken 1200 dollar wing. From my research ive seen guys install brackets on the edges of the trunk/body work that support the trunk. Wondering what else can be done.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
tzargarpur
Private
Rep

My exact plans for performance are FBO stage 2-BM3. Rear seat delete and a few other things to drop ~150+ pounds. EC7's. KW V2s. And the above stated aero.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #9
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
I had the Bimmerworld V3 wing on my stock trunk for a while prior to getting the AP CSL trunk, you can run the wing on your stock trunk no problem, however you will need to add supports underneath the upright to widen the area that the wing applies pressure to.
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0