THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Schroth harness in m235i?

07-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
buster-riley
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i 6MT no sunroof

Schroth harness in m235i?

I think there is a harness set fitment that clips into existing seat belt hardware and anchors. Has anyone tried this in our 2ers?

Is it any easy fit and useful?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster-riley View Post
I think there is a harness set fitment that clips into existing seat belt hardware and anchors. Has anyone tried this in our 2ers?

Thx
I haven't tried one, but I'll be looking for one before I go to the track. I'd like to use this one because I use a HANS device, but it's not out for the F22 / F87 yet: http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/quickfit-pro. This particular device appears to be quite easy to use, which is a huge attraction compared to installing a roll bar, race chairs, and five- or six-point harnesses.

I think the video on that page provides an informative overview of how this type of device works and why it's useful.

I called HMS, which is the American distributor for Schroth, and they suggested it could be a few years before the Quick Fit / Quick Fit Pro are available for the F22 / F87.

Last edited by dradernh; 07-03-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Check out this thread
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1254979

There are a few people using the E82/E90 harness in M2s, I use one in my M140i.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Thanks for posting all of this. So good to see some confirmation that these will bolt into an Fseries. I was hoping the lack of 'availability/fittment' from schroth was d/t not having it fully tested and certified for the 2's - that has to be a big$$$ process for each new model. I got to see these in several 3-series at the last track day and they seem to be a fantastic addition for improved car control, probably my next big purchase for next summer. They keep you so well-planted in the seat (and permit use of HANS w/o a rollbar). Funny that on the m2 forum debate linked above, there were lots of fears about being crushed in a rollover from the 4-point posture (virtually impossible), but nobody having trouble with putting in a rollbar that becomes a TBI waiting to happen if you don't have a helmet on.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Yeah safety equipment in a street car is a pretty contentious issue.
There is usually a compromise somewhere.
But I've decided to run the Quick Fit Pro and a HANs in mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
Shadowfax028
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Quick fit pro in my M235i. Works very well. Only use it when autocrossing.
I use the OEM for street or daily driving.
Appreciate 1
Miata1385.50
      07-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax028 View Post
Quick fit pro in my M235i. Works very well.
Did you choose the E82/92 model of Quick Fit Pro? That's the model that was suggested to me would fit our cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #8
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

I ended up going with the E82/E92 model of the Schroth Quick Fit Pro.* Note that the Pro is the model that's designed to work with a HANS device.

I took the car to Mid-Ohio, a track seemingly designed to test how well a harness holds the driver in place. The harness worked quite well at keeping me locked into one position in the chair. I think it offers excellent value.

* = Be aware: there is not yet a Schroth-approved model of the Quick Fit Pro for the F22 chassis. You buy and use these harnesses at your own risk.
Appreciate 1
Miata1385.50
      10-16-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
Shadowfax028
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Did you choose the E82/92 model of Quick Fit Pro? That's the model that was suggested to me would fit our cars.
Yes!! Very easy install. I use it for Autocrossing. Works very well
Appreciate 1
Miata1385.50
      11-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #10
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

I have one for my E92. I didn’t know that the E90/E92 one is different at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #11
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just sprung for the belts and a Hans - Northstar is having a big weekend sale, I think thru end of day today - 10-15% off what are already the best prices I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #12
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

I installed the E82/E92 Schroth Quick Fit Pro as well. Super easy to install. Technically it is not certified for our vehicle, but "functionally" works perfect. If you die in a crash and snap your neck, you don't have to worry about suing them.

One tip in adjusting and getting in and out, instead of messing with the straps. Set it up in your preferred position so it is very snug. Then use the power seats to move back to loosen it, and forward to tighten it.. It works lovely.

I use the Hans III in conjunction. Probably the best thing i did since starting HPDE's.
Appreciate 1
Miata1385.50
      09-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
MAILIYAT
Private
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Thanks for posting all of this. So good to see some confirmation that these will bolt into an Fseries. I was hoping the lack of 'availability/fittment' from schroth audacity temp mail origin was d/t not having it fully tested and certified for the 2's - that has to be a big$$$ process for each new model. I got to see these in several 3-series at the last track day and they seem to be a fantastic addition for improved car control, probably my next big purchase for next summer. They keep you so well-planted in the seat (and permit use of HANS w/o a rollbar). Funny that on the m2 forum debate linked above, there were lots of fears about being crushed in a rollover from the 4-point posture (virtually impossible), but nobody having trouble with putting in a rollbar that becomes a TBI waiting to happen if you don't have a helmet on.
that clips into existing seat belt hardware and anchors. Has anyone tried this in our 2ers?

Last edited by MAILIYAT; 09-10-2019 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #14
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAILIYAT View Post
that clips into existing seat belt hardware and anchors. Has anyone tried this in our 2ers?

Yes, they install easily in a 2 series. Several forum members are using them. I was able to do this installation myself in less than an hour, once I bought a larger Torx socket; it does not require removing the front seats, just the rear seat bottom cushion.
Appreciate 1
Miata1385.50
      11-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #15
MAILIYAT
Private
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #16
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I bought a set of the Schroth harnesses for tracking/autocross this year, and FINALLY got to try them last weekend. (Everything else has been cancelled.)

WOW! What a difference! I felt so much more in control of the car. I no longer had to spend time consciously unbracing myself after each corner. It left much more time to think about the next corner and what I was doing.

This was a club education event at a small training track, and kinda like an upgraded auto-cross. I couldn't believe how much easier it was doing a simple slalom. Being planted in the seat made managing the constant left-right weight transfers way more precise.

It's not cheap. And I had to get the passenger side for the events with instructors (if we ever have those again), so that doubled the cost. And the fact it isn't technically certified for the F22 still gives me pause. But overall, after track pads and tires, I think this upgrade needs be high on the list for anyone tracking their car.

Oh, and the blue straps, on my EB car with black interior looks really bitchin!
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      11-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #17
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quick tip for those looking to get one of these used - check out the related M2 boards. The M2Comp has solid seats that won't work with these so there are often used ones for sale. Unlike 5/6-points, you can tell if they were in an accident (the release fold will have ruptured open).
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #18
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
WOW! What a difference! I felt so much more in control of the car. I no longer had to spend time consciously unbracing myself after each corner. It left much more time to think about the next corner and what I was doing.

Being planted in the seat made managing the constant left-right weight transfers way more precise.

But overall, after track pads and tires, I think this upgrade needs be high on the list for anyone tracking their car.

Oh, and the blue straps, on my EB car with black interior looks really bitchin!
Some pilots talk about strapping the plane on; you're talking about strapping the car on (to your rear end). Now that you've experienced it, there's no substitute for it, is there.

I first experienced this in a built track car. The decrease in physical effort left me with a remarkable increase in attention span for everything else involved in driving the car. That experience was pretty darn exciting and had a great deal to do with my turning into a track rat.

In Ross Bentley's Ultimate Speed Secrets, Chapter 1 is entitled 'Behind the Wheel', and the first paragraph in that chapter is this:

"Being comfortable in the car is critical. If you're not comfortable, it will take more physical energy to drive and affect you mentally. A painful body will reduce your concentration level."

It may not be evident, but the principal issue there is not increased performance; instead, it's driver safety.

If pressed, I could argue for installing the Schroth 4-pointers before doing anything else to the car, especially when a driver is first starting out. In that case, he'll never have to experience track-driving g-forces in a way other than being fixed in his chair right behind his steering wheel, with his legs fully free to help his feet operate the pedals.

He'll also no longer need to use the steering wheel to help stabilize his torso, as that part of his body is now fixed in place. As a result, he can operate the wheel with a light touch and pass over the stage where the wheel is gripped too tightly to perceive all of the feedback through the wheel that the car is sending to him. Another benefit is that as he upgrades with, say, tires and brake fluid, he'll have more attention with which to experience the difference those upgrades are making. That's not trivial; generally, it means getting better sooner.

I too like my blue 4-point Schroths with my EB car and black interior. The belts are a couple of shades brighter, but in the dark interior they come off as matching the EB extremely well. Full marks to Schroth for thinking of us!
Appreciate 1
Miata1385.50
      11-30-2020, 12:28 AM   #19
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

I’m installing the Anti sub add-on kit for the Schroth quick fit before next season. Wondering if anyone else here has done that yet? Seems pretty straight forward but I do have to drill holes in the floor so that’s something.

Last edited by PeanuKeeyes; 11-30-2020 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 12:11 PM   #20
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Latest Info Schroth Quick Fit Harness for F22 Chassis

Glad I found this message thread as I'm getting back into autocross and some track day events this season.
I found this excellent video on the Schroth QuickFit harness here:

I reached out to Schroth reps at HMS Motorsports for an update on the status of QuickFit harness for my F22 / 230i xDrive and here's the response:

"Currently there is no quickfit for your car. It is something we are looking into but it will be awhile before we have anything available for it, and that is if it even passes the tests required along with all measurements we must take to safely make a quickfit.

Zach Schucker
image001.png
FIND US ON

HMS Motorsport, Ltd.
119 Bevan Dr., Mooresville, NC 28115
100 Ferncroft Rd., Danvers, MA 01923
Office: 978-774-1615
Direct: 978-406-4115
Cell: 812-430-3873 "

That said, given all the info in posts above, appears one can choose the E82/E92 set and it "fits" albeit not approved for the F22 chassis. As they say...YMMV.
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 05:25 PM   #21
Nic123
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i XDrive

I'm currently using a quickfit pro with a HANS in my F22. HMS won't approve it until they pass the seat crush test but that's not happening anytime soon.
I seriously doubt BMW has changed its seat frame construction from all of the previous series so I'm not concerned. Taking that risk is up to you however.
Otherwise HMS recommended using a harness bar like this one with the Quickfit Pro:
https://www.agencypower.com/blog/age...in-bmw-f87-m2/

You would clip it to the seatbelt buckles in the back like normal but loop it over the bar so that it takes the downward force instead of the seat in case of impact.
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2021, 02:12 PM   #22
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 6spd.

My Schroth Harness Solution for M240

I looked at multiple solutions for safe track day harness install

My final solution was 1) Schroth Profi II ASM FE 3" x 2" 4 point with
2) Brey Krause R-1287 Harness bar. Pictures are below (or should be)
Scroth part SR-20070 SR-P2ASM-FE

You can expand to five or six point by adding straps , the cam already has 6 slots they are also DOT approved, not that I use them. Two inches at waist and 3 inches at shoulders. Can use with Hans device.

Most economical option with most protection and performance.
The bar was $760 ($850 list) and I paid $215 each for harnesses ( $495 each). Cost was 1/3 to 1/2 of a full roll bar and is easy to live with off the track.

"The Flexi II ASM FE By Schroth Is Essentially The Same As The Flexi II ASM, except it features a Push-Button Cam lock for applications where street driving is anticipated. The orange push button that says "Press" is necessary to retain street legality so the EMT at an accident scene will know how to release your restraint."

"The FE version also features sewn in Bolt-In Tabs for the lap belt attachment points, for use in applications where space is limited. Because of the sewn in end fittings, the Flex Belt lap is not available in this harness. It is designed to be used as a four point system. For this reason it is perfect for use in Driver Education cars or any other application where stock seats are retained. A seat that was not originally designed for use with a racing restraint should never be modified to accept an sub strap."

"The Flexi II ASM incorporates Schroth's legendary ASM (Anti-SubMarining) technology that is the only thing like it on the market. ASM is an extra fold of material sewn into the inboard shoulder belt that elongates at a different rate than the outboard belt. This allows your upper torso to twist slightly. On the rebound phase, your torso is planted firmly back in the seat rather than allowed to slide under the lap belt.

You can add a single or dual sub strap to make this belt into a 5 point or 6 point at any time. We have recently tested this harness with a HANS device, and the results were great. You can use 4 point ASM Harnesses with a HANS device.

The lap belts provided with this harness are only available in the Bolt-In style as they are most commonly needed in setups requiring street legality."

"The BMW F87 M2 harness mount bar has been tested and certified by an independent lab to handle the types of forces required by the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. DOT and SAE J385 Rev.MAR 95, Motor Vehicle Seat Belt Anchorages-Performance Requirements. The BMW F87 harness mount bar properly locates and supports racing shoulder harnesses relative to the driver. In the case of an accident, it helps protect the driver's shoulders and spine. The harness guides also prevent excessive shifting and fatigue of the driver during the high G loads of cornering and braking. Our bars are easy to install and remove, use only existing holes and mounting points, and will not damage the car in any way."
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
dradernh4177.50