THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics M235i Harman Kardon surround sound system upgrade

05-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #23
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Many of y'all know what I'm about to say ...

OP: as you've already been directed to, search/browse this subforum for all you need to know about the HK in the 2 Series. There's loads of info, in multiple threads that are easy to find even by browsing, about how it differs from any other HK stereo in any other BMW.

Reported, to be moved to this forum.

Yup. My bad. Thanks for moving it.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #24
squintz
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
I have the hi-fi and wanted to try disconnecting the center just for fun. How the heck do you get that connection out though? I tried everything I knew to do to get it loose and nothing. 😠
I just did it this morning (I have the HK system so I'm not sure it's the same).

It was definitely a pain getting the connectors disconnected. I had to use a tiny screwdriver to depress a tab while pulling out the connector. It would be much easier with two people (one to press the tab, one to pull the connector).

I eventually got it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #25
DanATL
Private
Rep
Drives: '89 635CSi, '16 M235i, '23 X5

Use needle nose pliers. Squeeze on opposite sides and it slips out. Should be obvious which are the two sides to squeeze.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #26
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanATL View Post
Use needle nose pliers. Squeeze on opposite sides and it slips out. Should be obvious which are the two sides to squeeze.
I tried this and it did seem obvious......until it wouldn't freaking pop out. Used a tiny screwdriver instead.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #27
HaggisLad64
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi A3 Technik

I took a 2016 235i xdrive for a test drive a few months ago with the Harman Kardon audio system. At the end of the test drive I asked the sales consultant if that was the base audio system and he said, "no, that is the Harman Kardon system" Pretty excellent system isn't it? I thought he was joking at first. I said, "not really". Don't get me wrong, I loved everything else about the car except the sound system. The Bang & Olufsen in my Audi A3 Technik is A WAY better. I have narrowed it down now for my next car purchase to the Audi A4 Technik fully loaded and the BMW 240i x drive. i realize that they are very different cars. I have to find out if I can swap out the Harman Kardon for a better system. If it is not possible, it will be a race of 1. Too bad because I REALLY like everything else about the Bimmer! Still like Audi's interiors better but the driving dynamics and the exhaust note of the 240i is very intoxicating!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #28
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisLad64
I took a 2016 235i xdrive for a test drive a few months ago with the Harman Kardon audio system. At the end of the test drive I asked the sales consultant if that was the base audio system and he said, "no, that is the Harman Kardon system" Pretty excellent system isn't it? I thought he was joking at first. I said, "not really". Don't get me wrong, I loved everything else about the car except the sound system. The Bang & Olufsen in my Audi A3 Technik is A WAY better. I have narrowed it down now for my next car purchase to the Audi A4 Technik fully loaded and the BMW 240i x drive. i realize that they are very different cars. I have to find out if I can swap out the Harman Kardon for a better system. If it is not possible, it will be a race of 1. Too bad because I REALLY like everything else about the Bimmer! Still like Audi's interiors better but the driving dynamics and the exhaust note of the 240i is very intoxicating!
You can swap the HK system for a variety of things. Read the Dr Strangelove thread. I'm waiting for Bavsound gear to show up myself as my car has HK like the one you're looking at and is a convertible so install is a bit more challenging.

That said I think the smart money play is to save the HK $ and get the base system then upgrade to Bavsound for $500 and call it a day. For those who have the choice obviously. It's easy and affordable and all plug and play, US based dealer single throat to choke. Partner with Dinan, 4 year warranty, etc. Unless you're going after super high end stuff I think that's the most prudent path to a system you can live with.

Last edited by BEM-S4; 03-06-2017 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0