THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning School me on a Catless Downpipe for the F22....

04-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
zuckuss07
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6-Speed

School me on a Catless Downpipe for the F22....

Hey guys, I'l looking into a catless downpipe for my new F22 M235i.

I'm concerned with a few things so I want to ask you guys directly a few questions about them on our cars.

First off, what is the best manufacture to do with in terms or design and results. I see a lot of people on here recommending ER and VRSF products.

Second, with a catless variant of a downpipe. How is the experience inside the cabin? I noticed on some catless cars I've been in, you get the smell of fuel in the cabin sometimes. Is that the case with the F22? Also, will the car Drone at all at highway speeds? Those are my biggest concerns.

Third, check engine lights. I know the car will through a CEL light right away. I have a JB4 installed to clear it. However, will the CEL recur and need to be constantly cleared... or is it a one time clear/setting and that is it?

Also, anyone have a soundclip or video of a catless downpipe paired with an M Performance Exhaust system of the M235i...? I'd like to hear it.

Thanks for the help. I'm really impressed with the community here.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
db235
Enlisted Member
Colombia
Rep
Drives: Alpine White F22 M235i

I have MPE + VRSF catless downpipe, its amazing, no drone at all, you may notice the smell sometimes but its not something to worry about it isnt that bad, no jb4 and no CEL til now although im looking forward to get a jb4 or racechip later on.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I'm catless downpipe and stock 235 exhaust..

Any of the those manufactures should work fine. I run the shifteck downpipe with no issues and it looks like a quality piece.

I don't notice any significant fumes. I get a whiff every now and then when the windows are down and I'm stopped. I don't think it's bad at all. The smell will depend on how the wind is blowing since it's really the fumes coming out of the tailpipes and not from the downpipe itself. If you are constantly smelling significant fumes in the cabin you probably have an exhaust leak at the downpipe.

I don't notice any drone. Cruising around in comfort mode is hardly any loader (if at all). My intake makes more noise than my downpipe during normal acceleration.

JB4 will clear the CEL before it even pops up on your dash. You will not see a CEL at all. Not exactly sure if it's JB4 stage 1 though....

Plenty of youtube vids of downpipe on M exhaust on youtube.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
zuckuss07
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6-Speed

Thanks for the info.

My only concern then is the smell of exhaust. It's only noticeable with the windows down at idle... Nothing leaking into the cabin otherwise?

My Honda Si smelled pretty bad once I bolted on a catless DP. I'm just trying to get a good idea what kind experience I'll get in this car with that setup before I purchase and am possibly disappointed...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Wagner, VRSF and Evolution Racewerks are the most popular for us

In terms of fitment, power, sound and reliability they are all equal

No drone if installed correctly

No fuel smell inside the cabin, only fuel smell on the outside if the car is on idle for a while

Smell is not bad at all ... If you want to be extra safe, get the catted downpipe option

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
ChuckAWDM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

edit : answered on other thread

Last edited by ChuckAWDM2; 04-29-2016 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

I must have an exhaust leak somewhere then because with the windows down coming to a stop i get a pretty descent whiff of exhaust/fuel. Im ok with it...
the sound and odor go very well together
Appreciate 0