THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Got a Mazda loaner - what would you do?

11-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #67
Texan2er
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
A fellow car nut I keep in touch with likes his Fit for daily driving. He uses his Cayman S for weekends and a built FR-S for the track.
That is a car guy I would be friends with.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #68
kivyee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix Track Pack

The best "mod" you can do for your car is to go drive a slower car for a few hours/days. It will feel like your car has gained at least 50+hp. More if the temporary car is a mini van!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #69
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

if they are giving you a mazda, they should at least have given you a miata 6MT

JK. Yeah, I understand your pain but don't take it personal. They probably ran out of fleet cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #70
Tony88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix

I've had three loaners from my dealer-

A super nice brand new loaded X5 was the first one and I was really impressed (I loved the tech like the top down cameras and HUD that you can't get in the 2er's)

And two different 320's

Both times I had the 320i I kept asking myself "Who in the hell buys this POS?" I would much rather have a decent Mazda, Toyota or Honda over a bare bones under-powered turd like a 320i.

Never going to complain about a free car though!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 10:19 PM   #71
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Loaners arent a guarantee they are a bonus.

Heck back in the early 2000s when i brough in my e36 m3 for warranty work (haha yes it was that long ago, i had an e36 still with a factory warranty), they gave me Hyundai rental.

I mean you are getting a car at least...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:07 AM   #72
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony88 View Post
Both times I had the 320i I kept asking myself "Who in the hell buys this POS?"
About 80% of 3 series buyers worldwide? You're the outlier - not the 320i!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #73
Tony88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
That's the point! Rhetorical question. I'm asking myself why somebody would pay a premium to be in a bottom of the line BMW that is more spartan and has less performance than pretty much any Japanese or even American car. I guess to some people those three letters mean a whole hell of a lot!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #74
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
That's the point! Rhetorical question. I'm asking myself why somebody would pay a premium to be in a bottom of the line BMW that is more spartan and has less performance than pretty much any Japanese or even American car. I guess to some people those three letters mean a whole hell of a lot!
Most people on the road are not car enthusiasts. They do not care about performance. The brand is what they care about which is why BMW and Mercedes offer subpar entry level cars
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #75
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 228i Mineral Grey

Quote:
...the 320i I kept asking myself "Who in the hell buys this POS?"

I shake my head whenever I see one of those.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #76
geep81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Just an update but my car is still in the shop for the noise. They are replacing a spring on the front right next, have already tried other things that did not fix it. It has been at the dealer for 8 days for this rattle. I should have it back by the end of the week if it all goes well.

They did swap me into a 430 GC the day after the Mazda.

Updated question to the people who thought I was being a baby:
Would you still be happy paying BMW money to drive a Mazda for a week or more, or would that be pushing it? Obviously this is just a rhetorical question now.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #77
geep81
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
What a narcissistic thread; it's called a "courtesy car" for a reason..

https://www.bmwoftowson.com/bmw-of-t...car-policy.htm
The last link in your posts explains in clear detail you are entitled to a loaner car (at that dealer) when you bring it in for warranty work not caused by an accident, so I think you just proved yourself wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #78
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
To some, no more than Audi, VW, Merc, Mazda or any other. All of whom sell versions of cars you’re probably familiar with, but with engines as small as, or smaller than, that 320i’s.

It’s funny you mention “Japanese or American” cars. The Accord is no longer sold in Europe; the Camry disappeared a decade ago. Even Ford’s Mondeo (Mondeo - “world car”, heh) is becoming extinct. And it goes without saying that there are no American cars here in any number. I guess I don’t count BMW as hugely aspirational, because there is much less “below” it.

Also the 320i has three models beneath it. But no matter: the entry level 3 where you are is now the 330i, which amusingly is the second from top-of-the-range where it came from!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #79
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentanker View Post
Y’all should go to Europe and try that - you’ll end up with RSI
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #80
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geep81 View Post
Quote:
What a narcissistic thread; it's called a "courtesy car" for a reason..

https://www.bmwoftowson.com/bmw-of-t...car-policy.htm
The last link in your posts explains in clear detail you are entitled to a loaner car (at that dealer) when you bring it in for warranty work not caused by an accident, so I think you just proved yourself wrong.
Yes, obviously they don't want THEIR loaner cars tied up with insurance work because it's a different department & collision repairs takes longer than service. That's why God invented Mazda rentals..

I know the service manager of big dealer in New Jersey, I already confirmed they own THEIR loaner cars, which they purchase from BMW at cost and sell back..

You just proved yourself wrong by not understanding how loaner cars work

PM if you want the service managers number, he'll confirm it and try to sell you one of THEIR loaner cars before it hits 5,000 miles..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #81
geep81
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, obviously they don't want THEIR loaner cars tied up with insurance work because it's a different department & collision repairs takes longer than service. That's why God invented Mazda rentals..

I know the service manager of big dealer in New Jersey, I already confirmed they own THEIR loaner cars, which they purchase from BMW at cost and sell back..

PM if you want the service managers number, he'll confirm it and try to sell you one of THEIR loaner cars before it hits 5,000 miles..
You said I am not entitled to a loaner when I am in for warranty work on my lease. You proved yourself wrong. This post you just wrote above does nothing to back up your claim.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #82
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentanker View Post
Quote:
...the 320i I kept asking myself "Who in the hell buys this POS?"

The level of arrogance on this forum sometimes astounds me. 320i would still be more expensive than most Japanese cars. They could be optioned to be much more luxurious than your performance BMWs. Some of those 320i owners might have Lamborghinis at home.
      11-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #83
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geep81 View Post
Quote:

You said I am not entitled to a loaner when I am in for warranty work on my lease. You proved yourself wrong. This post you just wrote above does nothing to back up your claim.
You win bro,

I hope they prep a Rolls Royce Phantom, bottle of Dom P & caviar for you on your next oil change..

You know, because you're entitle to it, as it's clearly stated in your warranty agreement when you got your vehicle.. Which page is that again?
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #84
Poochie
United_States
Rep

How I leave the dealer in my loaner car, as required by my warranty agreement :

Appreciate 1
      11-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #85
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
The level of arrogance on this forum sometimes astounds me.
Not me, sadly... But one wonders what happens to some of them if they ever go to "toytown" for their "ED". (Not that kind of ED, I assume) It's not real over there, you know, it's just a working museum, with little leprechauns driving tiny versions of the Real Thing
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #86
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Most people on the road are not car enthusiasts. They do not care about performance. The brand prestige is what they care about which is why BMW and Mercedes offer subpar entry level cars. The CLA is a damn abomination
There are plenty of car enthusiasts in Europe who spec a 320 or 420 with M-sport suspension, brakes, 19" wheels and all the options they would like, often paying around USD $55,000 for the privilege. It is at least as fast in stopping, handling and gripping (if not more so due to lower weight) than a 340i or 440i, and will still manage around 7 seconds to 100km/h / 62 mph.

In the new G2x 3/4-series, the highest powered cars will not have a manual transmission available, enthusiasts who want a manual transmission will take the lower powered cars.

Many Americans don't seem to get that power is only one facet to a multi-dimensional experience. The US market is so obsessed with price and power, that many great cars that fall outside that criteria that the rest of the world has, don't make it to the US.

One of my first cars was a Fiat X1/9 with 90 BHP, less than half of what a current 320i has. There wasn't much else on the market that would keep up with it on a twisty road at the time, even if they could out accelerate it on the straights, it would just be back on their tails in the next set of corners.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #87
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Quote:
Most people on the road are not car enthusiasts. They do not care about performance. The brand prestige is what they care about which is why BMW and Mercedes offer subpar entry level cars. The CLA is a damn abomination
There are plenty of car enthusiasts in Europe who spec a 320 or 420 with M-sport suspension, brakes, 19" wheels and all the options they would like, often paying around USD $55,000 for the privilege. It is at least as fast in stopping, handling and gripping (if not more so due to lower weight) than a 340i or 440i, and will still manage around 7 seconds to 100km/h / 62 mph.

In the new G2x 3/4-series, the highest powered cars will not have a manual transmission available, enthusiasts who want a manual transmission will take the lower powered cars.

Many Americans don't seem to get that power is only one facet to a multi-dimensional experience. The US market is so obsessed with price and power, that many great cars that fall outside that criteria that the rest of the world has, don't make it to the US.

One of my first cars was a Fiat X1/9 with 90 BHP, less than half of what a current 320i has. There wasn't much else on the market that would keep up with it on a twisty road at the time, even if they could out accelerate it on the straights, it would just be back on their tails in the next set of corners.
Those people are still the minority. The majority of car owners do not care about performance. To them vehicles are just a tool but they want the brand prestige
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #88
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Those people are still the minority. The majority of car owners do not care about performance. To them vehicles are just a tool but they want the brand prestige
Yes, but not buying the top model or most powerful model doesn't have to equate to not being an enthusiast. There are probably more badge buyers than enthusiasts who buy ///M or AMG models and worldwide probably more enthusiasts who buy 320i models than M3s. As the premise of this thread was "who would buy a 320i?" The answer is plenty of enlightened enthusiasts when it is speced in the right way, plus plenty of others who aren't enthusiasts, as it is still at or near the top of the class compared with competitors and can be speced in a myriad of ways that American can't purchase, to meet all sorts of tastes and levels of "enthusiasm".
Appreciate 0