THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Seeking a 240i 6MT test drive ???

11-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Seeking a 240i 6MT test drive ???

Hello All 240i 6MT owners,

I'm narrowing down my choices to replace my MB 350 ML SUV with a sports car.

I live in Portsmouth NH and am seeking a local test drive of a 6MT 240i.
Nothing available at the local dealerships. All xdrive/autos ordered up this way on the northeast.

Is there anyone here on this forum that could take me for a "spin" ??
The base 228i 6MT is a different car than a M240i 6MT.

A little history. I had a new 2016 228i RWD 6MT base coupe for a couple of years. Ordered it. I put 38,000 fun miles on the car. Great car, traded it for my new X3M40i. I should have kept 228i, unloaded the ML to trade for the M40i. But I didn't.

The X3M40i is by far the best vehicle I've owned yet. But I sure do miss the 228i as an alternative daily driver and a 6MT.

Test drove a 2018 Golf R DSG....an owner on the VW forum who lives in NH offered a "real test drive", 30-35 miles, varying road surfaces, highway speeds and back roads. My impression of the Golf R. Impressive all the way around, 4 doors, very comfortable ride/car, $40K loaded with a 6yr 72,000 warranty. I have a R 6MT test drive lined up with a local dealer this week. I'm confident the R 6MT will be will be fun fast and a blast. BUT, I just don't like the looks of the GOLF. Could I tolerate owning a Golf R..sure...but life is too short.

Any offers? I'll drive to you. I'll offer the X3M40i for a test drive.

Appreciated, Bill D
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

I'm in CA so I can't help you directly. That said, I have an M240i 6MT and my friend has a 6MT Golf R that I've driven many times. The shifter on the golf is much lighter and lacks the feel that the 2er's stick has. I found it really hard to tell when I was in neutral while driving the R, while I've never had any issues like that with the 2er. The clutch pedal of the 2er is also significantly heavier than the R. Overall I'd say the R has the "easier" manual to drive, but driving them back to back the brute power of the 2er is much more noticeable.

If you're picking between the two, both are great driving cars. But the R kills it in terms of practicality and utility so I'd honestly choose based on that.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
The clutch pedal of the 2er is also significantly heavier than the R. Overall I'd say the R has the "easier" manual to drive, but driving them back to back the brute power of the 2er is much more noticeable.
How light is that Golf R clutch if you consider the 2er's to be that much heavier? Reason I ask is because my M240i's clutch pedal is relatively light - it's right on par with the 2016 WRX I DD'ed for 22k miles and significantly lighter than my previous 2007 911 Carrera S.

OP - Keep the X3 and trade the ML for the M240i (or even a RWD 230i). You had a ML and a 228i before, so why not go back to a SUV + coupe combo? Would sure beat having 2 SUVs (really??)!
      11-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm in CA so I can't help you directly. That said, I have an M240i 6MT and my friend has a 6MT Golf R that I've driven many times. The shifter on the golf is much lighter and lacks the feel that the 2er's stick has. I found it really hard to tell when I was in neutral while driving the R, while I've never had any issues like that with the 2er. The clutch pedal of the 2er is also significantly heavier than the R. Overall I'd say the R has the "easier" manual to drive, but driving them back to back the brute power of the 2er is much more noticeable.

If you're picking between the two, both are great driving cars. But the R kills it in terms of practicality and utility so I'd honestly choose based on that.
"great summary comparison"....but you're killing me with the last sentence !
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
But, it comes from the VW/Audi group, which 100% disqualifies it for me, based on the quality issues and treatment from the corporate customer support staff. At purchase, we were fooled by a pretty face and nice test drive. After dumping it, all four of our recent BMWAG products have been outstanding quality.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
How light is that Golf R clutch if you consider the 2er's to be that much heavier? Reason I ask is because my M240i's clutch pedal is relatively light - it's right on par with the 2016 WRX I DD'ed for 22k miles and significantly lighter than my previous 2007 911 Carrera S.

OP - Keep the X3 and trade the ML for the M240i (or even a RWD 230i). You had a ML and a 228i before, so why not go back to a SUV + coupe combo? Would sure beat having 2 SUVs (really??)!
That's the plan.

The ML will be handed down.

Back to the clutch opinion/s on the R and M240i ....

When I owned my 228i base 6MT coupe I found the clutch to be "heavier" than the clutch in a 2017 Audi A4 Sport 6MT.

I never told myself that the clutch in the 228i was heavy. Never bothered my leg...never bothered me in traffic. But after I drove my friends A4 I said "wow...this clutch is lighter" than the 228i.

I haven't driven a 6MT Golf R yet, might happen tomorrow, but I have to figure clutching in the R is "easier" less "heavy" than the M240i clutch.

The shifting/shifter itself...the 228i is much much better than the A4...I figure the R will be the same compared to my 228i...that I would miss taking the R
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #7
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
But, it comes from the VW/Audi group, which 100% disqualifies it for me, based on the quality issues and treatment from the corporate customer support staff. At purchase, we were fooled by a pretty face and nice test drive. After dumping it, all four of our recent BMWAG products have been outstanding quality.
I've read my fair share of posts on this forum of BMW owners who have jumped ship on the BMW brand for various reasons including dealers...happens.

Right now, VW Group is backing their products, including the Golf R with a bumper to bumper 6 yr. 72,000 mile warranty.
Not bad ?

Back to the 6MTs.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD1953 View Post
Right now, VW Group is backing their products, including the Golf R with a bumper to bumper 6 yr. 72,000 mile warranty.
Not bad ?

Back to the 6MTs.
Last comment from experience: A VW/Audi warranty is of no value when they (Audi of America, not the dealer) dishonestly deny coverage on a new, covered, unmodified car.

OK, back to 6MTs.....
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
BillD1953234.50
      11-05-2018, 10:15 PM   #9
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

The Golf R clutch is somewhat weak and quite easy to destroy if you drive the car to its full potential. If you shift quickly, the very restrictive CDV will leave the pedal on the floor, followed by it hitting your foot half a second later combined with the smell of slipping clutch. It can be made a bit heavier by removing one of the assistance springs. Many people look at upgraded aftermarket clutches, even with stock power.

Overall I find the clutch on our M240i much better than on our Golf R.

Here is the size of the CDV restrictor after removal, the fluid only flows through the central hole:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BillD1953234.50
      11-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post

My M240's clutch is the heaviest clutch I've ever dealt with, but I also haven't driven a ton of other manual cars so it might just be a small sample size.
Appreciate 0