THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum is anyone else slightly annoyed...

11-19-2018, 04:53 AM   #67
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post
I borrowed my friends model 3 for a weekend. Straight line speed and torque yes. I took it into the twisties and it doesn't hold a candle to the 2 series. The build quality was bad for what amounted to almosy $60k. Creaks and rattles, the panel gaps were horrendous. You wouldn't have fun tracking it. It annoys me seeing people suggesting cross shopping a model 3 and an M2,M240. It's the polar opposite.
You're annoyed by other people's attempt to develop their own point of view?? Jesus

Last edited by ScottAndrew; 11-19-2018 at 04:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
hwntime270.00
B58togo807.00
      11-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #68
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
I borrowed my friends model 3 for a weekend. Straight line speed and torque yes. I took it into the twisties and it doesn't hold a candle to the 2 series. The build quality was bad for what amounted to almosy $60k. Creaks and rattles, the panel gaps were horrendous. You wouldn't have fun tracking it. It annoys me seeing people suggesting cross shopping a model 3 and an M2,M240. It's the polar opposite.
For myself, I'm not cross shopping as I've been a BMW head for the past decade with a Z3, E92 335i, and now the F22. My next car will most likely be a next-gen electric though in a few years time. Whether it's a Tesla or some other manufacturer, I will most likely jump ship from gasoline engines as electric power technology has caught up and now it's just a matter of fine-tuning the cars to make them more competitive with their gasoline counterparts. 310 miles per charge is crazy! My wife's old Leaf was lucky to get 90 miles on a charge. I'd imagine in another 4-5 years, we'll be looking at "affordable" electric cars getting 400+ miles while going from 0-60 in 3 seconds flat.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:46 AM   #69
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
You're annoyed by other people's attempt to develop their own point of view?? Jesus
No. The cars aren't comparable. It's like comparing a pair of sneakers to some dress shoes. It gets tiresome seeing people bring it up as a serious alternative.

An MT M240i,M2C,M235 are about as far away as you can get to a 4 door sedan that is electric.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:33 AM   #70
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
No. The cars aren't comparable. It's like comparing a pair of sneakers to some dress shoes. It gets tiresome seeing people bring it up as a serious alternative.

An MT M240i,M2C,M235 are about as far away as you can get to a 4 door sedan that is electric.
In execution yes, but look at the fervour for them here. And it isn’t even a Tesla forum! In America, Tesla is absolutely a hot favourite and competition for the (according to sales figures) dying breed of luxury-sport ICE sedans. I also cross-shopped (as in, compared...) a BMW 3 and a BMW 2, and a Tesla Model 3 is aimed at buyers of a BMW Model 3. So I don't think it's a leap.

The main difference is the number of doors; in terms of performance, everyone else should just go home in the face of 0-60 in 3.2 sec because really that’s the main thing that matters. I’m not saying this applies anywhere else - it can’t, because you can’t buy the Model 3 anywhere else - but I can see the appeal where you have the dealers, after sales and charging infra.

Last edited by ScottAndrew; 11-20-2018 at 03:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 05:24 AM   #71
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

How many times in a row can it do 3.2 0-60? Articles make me think it can't do a full-out lap of any decent course without shutting down.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #72
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post
How many times in a row can it do 3.2 0-60? Articles make me think it can't do a full-out lap of any decent course without shutting down.
I agree, that electric wear down after a few runs, but how many times do any of us do 0-60 runs (especially one after the other)? I've yet to do one w/ my M240i. As a dedicated track car, I'd look elsewhere.

Point is, the Tesla can get you up to that speed way faster than most cars. Great for the occasional blast on to a freeway, or to dart around another car on a two lane.

For the average driver that enjoys excellent acceleration and isn't trying to get arrested every time they take their car out, The Tesla 3 is a decent alternative to a gasoline car.

Price of admission is rather steep (Tesla will be offering a lease on the 3 sometime this year- which will still be pretty steep I'd wager compared to a outright purchase but likely less than a lease of the S or X)

A 3 year lease on a $75K Model S (Florida) is approx $10K at signing and $950 a month for three years @ 10K miles (roughly $44200 out of pocket).
Appreciate 0