THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - Mid-Atlantic BMW UDE at FedEx Field

04-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

BMW UDE at FedEx Field

Just went to the event yesterday. It was my first time trying any sort of autocross and it was a lot of fun. Totally supportive, no pressure atmosphere. The regular event (not the M car control clinic) is free and runs about two hours. I recommend anyone who thinks they might be interested in this to give it a go. My time slot was pretty full, so maybe an emptier time slot gets a bit of a different experience, but here is what goes on:

- Brief fundamentals presentation.
- Participants are divided up into "tracks" 1 and 2 (everyone drives on the same course) and then into groups of three. Each group is assigned an instructor.
- Demo lap with your group where your instructor shows you the course and what you should be aiming for when you're behind the wheel. This lap is mildly aggressive, not all out by the instructor.
- Laps with your group where each group member gets 2 laps in each car, a fwd (not xdrive) X2 and a 530e.
- One lap for time, just you and your instructor, in either the X2 or the 530e (my "track" got the 530e and the other "track" got the X2).
- If you are fastest for your "track" you get to compete for time on the shootout course, and the overall winner for the week gets a trip to the BMW performance center at Thermal in California. (I was not the fastest in my "track", but was pretty pleased to place 4th in a field of 26 for my first time and finished 0.57 seconds behind the leader on a cold, damp, and very windy day).

There are also a couple other free things to do if you have enough time before or after your time slot. One is a really short i3 drag race that consists of two runs, one in each lane. Not bad to waste a few minutes if you get there early. The other is the street drives where you can drive any of a number of BMWs on the street by yourself. A 15-20 minute course is mapped in the Nav for you to follow. I did not have time to do this before my time slot, and they shut everything down by the time I was done at 6:00 for a VIP event. I didn't see all the cars they had available, some we already out on drives, so I'm not sure exactly what they had there. There is also a rig for Forza Motorsport set up in the trailer.

Happy driving if you end up going!
      04-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
bensanford
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Grey '18 230i & Grey '21 330ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
I didn't see all the cars they had available, some we already out on drives, so I'm not sure exactly what they had there.
I was there on Monday. They had a good assortment of cars to test drive. I drove a m240 and a m540. Didn't notice everything there, but seemed list there was at least one from most popular series vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

I had a great time at the VIP event, see my write-up in this link #46:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1486852&page=3

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

pseto cool. which cars did you get to drive? Not all of them I assume?
      04-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
pseto cool. which cars did you get to drive? Not all of them I assume?
I was able to attend a few of the VIP events, so I drove M2, M3, M4 Comp, M5, M6GC, m760iL V12, Alpina B6, Alpina B7, X5M, X6M, mX3, m550i, and i8

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0