THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Calling all battery n3rds/guru's

02-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Calling all battery n3rds/guru's

Hey guys

I am currently at the point where I'd like to throw a new battery in my '15 F22. It's not that the original has depleted or failed (yet), more so a preventative measure as I drive the car long distance often to track events etc and feel better having something new after 6 or so years of time it's been on the road, being stored each winter without a constant charge..

My first question is, would you get an AGM battery (are hey required? getting mixed reviews on that), or are they overkill for a 3.0 gas vehicle?

My local parts supplier has EastPenn built AGM's for about $265CDN, which is actually quire low for these, comes with a 5YR exchange warranty etc.

Secondly, I have two options according to them, a Group# 49 or Group# 94R. 49 is $15 more than the 94R so it's not a price thing, but there is about 50cca more on the 49... Which one, the obvious 49?

Can I opt for non-AGM Group 49 with equal CCA's and save $100 without any concerns? If I recall, the OE battery is an AGM

Thanks guys, batteries aren't really my niche lol
      02-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
Trofeo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235

Yes for AGM especially for the climate.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      02-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trofeo View Post
Yes for AGM especially for the climate.
Yea for sure on the climate, I just don't use the car from Nov-April so that part wasn't so much the concern vs having an AGM style vs typical wet cell. Also from what I recall you need to add a vent tube if not using an AGM, which alone is enough of a reason for me not to use anything but the AGM...

Just curious if anyone has put in a non-AGM and if so, what was the reasoning behind it?
      02-12-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Hey guys

I am currently at the point where I'd like to throw a new battery in my '15 F22. It's not that the original has depleted or failed (yet), more so a preventative measure...
Here's my experience.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1662394

AGM for sure and the ODYSSEY is awesome and can be delivered right to your door from Batter Mart. The install start to finish is under a half hour but you will need to have it coded in. But note the car will start and run if you have to take it somewhere to do that. Carly did it for me without a hitch.

And yes, the OEM battery is AGM.

///Rich
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      02-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
Here's my experience.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1662394

AGM for sure and the ODYSSEY is awesome and can be delivered right to your door from Batter Mart. The install start to finish is under a half hour but you will need to have it coded in. But note the car will start and run if you have to take it somewhere to do that. Carly did it for me without a hitch.

And yes, the OEM battery is AGM.

///Rich
Thanks man. What type of coding is required? Is it something my SnapOn diag tool will do, or only coding software/Ista? It's a commercial unit.. Never had to do this before so I'm a bit green.
      02-13-2020, 10:26 PM   #6
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Thanks man. What type of coding is required? Is it something my SnapOn diag tool will do, or only coding software/Ista? It's a commercial unit.. Never had to do this before so I'm a bit green.
Frankly if you put a similar AGM battery I don't understand why it really needs to be coded. It's not like the batteries have any logic in them. But I will leave that discussion to others.

Carly does it and that is what I used. I am not sure any of the diagnostic scanners will do it. Snap-on or otherwise. But Carly did it eaisly. I use it on an iPad and it was worth every dime that it costs.

I can say this, you won't go wrong with either of the ODYSSEY batteries. And the price was right with BatteryMart.com delivered right to you door.

///Rich
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      02-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #7
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
Frankly if you put a similar AGM battery I don't understand why it really needs to be coded. It's not like the batteries have any logic in them.
It's not the batteries that have the logic. (They don't.)

The computer controlling the battery charging is where the logic is. The IBS (Intelligent Battery System) controls the charging rate and voltage level on the battery. Unlike old school charging systems, the IBS only charges the battery just enough to keep it at a functional level. This saves a tiny bit of gas, and more importantly extends the life of that expensive AGM battery. (Ever notice the blue 'charging' section of the efficiency graph under the tach? This gives an indication of when the IBS is doing max charging.)

The IBS changes the charging profile as the battery ages, and it's tuned to a specific type and size of battery. When you replace the battery, you need to tell the IBS that it is new so it resets the charging profile. If you don't, it will overcharge the new battery and shorten its life. Same for if you change the battery type or significantly change the size.

This is the 'coding' that needs to be done when replacing a battery.

Still bothers me though that the 'intelligent' part isn't smart enough to see the cold temps of a Minnesota winter, and apply a higher charge. I routinely have to run an external charger a few times during the winter to top off the battery when the IBS doesn't keep it charged fast enough.
Appreciate 1