THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Navigation Map Update

06-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
PerryMason
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

Question Navigation Map Update

Hi...

I have a 2018 M240i convertible with the navigation system. Really like it versus the suboptimal Apple CarPlay that uses half the screen. Maybe when ios 13 comes out - the updated CarPlay might be better.

In the mean time, my maps are from 2017, so I want to update them to the latest and be able to update them more regularly. After talking to my deal, I found what I think are the two items that I need from BMW for the update - a USB stick (first item at URL below) and an FSC code (third item at URL below). Total price around $150.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...nterId=1400001

Do these sound like the right two items to purchase?

Are there any other better and legal and warranty-friendly options that provide updated maps?

Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
EE60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason View Post
Hi...

I have a 2018 M240i convertible with the navigation system. Really like it versus the suboptimal Apple CarPlay that uses half the screen. Maybe when ios 13 comes out - the updated CarPlay might be better.

In the mean time, my maps are from 2017, so I want to update them to the latest and be able to update them more regularly. After talking to my deal, I found what I think are the two items that I need from BMW for the update - a USB stick (first item at URL below) and an FSC code (third item at URL below). Total price around $150.

Are there any other better and legal and warranty-friendly options that provide updated maps?

Thank you!
In us maps are free automatic updates
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
SPinder
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i Xdrive

thru BMW connected services.

Automatic Map Update enables the Navigation System Professional to always receive the most current navigation map data, over-the-air
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Quote:
Hi...

Thank you!
Apple CarPlay (ACP) is indeed suboptimal. The iPhone X and now the Xs Max have been the best phones I have owned, but ACP doesn't live up to Apple's other products.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
PerryMason
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPinder View Post
thru BMW connected services.

Automatic Map Update enables the Navigation System Professional to always receive the most current navigation map data, over-the-air
Thanks. Are you able tell me the procedure to do this? It is not happening automatically and I do not see it in the menus anywhere. For example, I live in a new community in Florida. Google and Apple maps have been updated, but not bmw.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
hoxsie16
Hoxsie16
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Nav Map Updates

The auto updates come at random times, but only update the regional maps. The main map updates, i.e. like No America, must be purchased. If you Google BMW maps there are several places that sell them at reduced cost.
My 2017 m240i nav has regional update 2019-1 as of now.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:34 AM   #7
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

BMW maps are free over the air updates. Don't pay for an update. You can change your region on the bmw connected website to receive other areas for example if you will be traveling to further away states. However, that doesn't just push the latest update out. It is automatically triggered to update the map which the car will ask if you want to update. My advice is to first be sure your current region is selected, then switch to other areas a few days before a road trip to give the car time to pull those updates down. If nothing else, you can tell the dealer you are having a hard time updating your maps and they can push the updated map to the car.

Sold: 19 x3 30i X drive, 18 230i X drive Convertible
18 x3, 30i X drive 16 428i Convertible, 16 X1 X drive, 14 i3 Rex, 14 328i, 14 x1 28i X drive, 08 328i, 03 M5, 99 323i Convertible, 00 z3 M Roadster, 99 328i, 00 323i
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
BMW maps are free over the air updates. Don't pay for an update. You can change your region on the bmw connected website to receive other areas for example if you will be traveling to further away states. However, that doesn't just push the latest update out. It is automatically triggered to update the map which the car will ask if you want to update. My advice is to first be sure your current region is selected, then switch to other areas a few days before a road trip to give the car time to pull those updates down. If nothing else, you can tell the dealer you are having a hard time updating your maps and they can push the updated map to the car.
You can even get the full maps free..

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1526116
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
How do you change your region on the BMW Connected website?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #10
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post
Apple CarPlay (ACP) is indeed suboptimal. The iPhone X and now the Xs Max have been the best phones I have owned, but ACP doesn't live up to Apple's other products.
Don't forget - Carplay/Android Auto don't work in areas of spotty cell coverage. So if you're out in the boonies or even local but in the hills/mountains with zero bars they go inactive. Only the built in car GPS stays working without functioning cell service.
Ask me how I know : )

Seth
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:06 PM   #11
PerryMason
Rep

Thanks for all of the replies. I did try the official USB, but my F23 would not even recognize it. I returned it and the FSC for a full credit. Took your advice and changed my region to the Florida area. That seems to have worked. Now i regularly get messages about over the air updates. My new community is now there, though it has my house in the wrong place. Good thing I know where my house is!

I am looking forward to trying the updated Carplay in iOS 13 with improved maps. We shall see if it is really any better.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies. I did try the official USB, but my F23 would not even recognize it. I returned it and the FSC for a full credit. Took your advice and changed my region to the Florida area. That seems to have worked. Now i regularly get messages about over the air updates. My new community is now there, though it has my house in the wrong place. Good thing I know where my house is!

I am looking forward to trying the updated Carplay in iOS 13 with improved maps. We shall see if it is really any better.
Can you explain how and where you changed your region to prompt the over the air updates? I have not been able to figure that part out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
PerryMason
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Can you explain how and where you changed your region to prompt the over the air updates? I have not been able to figure that part out. Thanks!
Hi... Here you go...

1. Go to: connecteddrive.bmwusa.com
2. Login in or create an account and log in
3. Scroll down and look for a section called ‘Subscribed Services’
4. In that section, look for a box/tile called ‘Map Update’ and click that box
5. Expand a section called ‘Automatic Map Update’
6. Find the region that represents your area and click the circle
7. Hit Save and that is it.

Wait a couple of days and look for a message on your car’s idrive panel that talks about map updates. Always choose that you want it now versus waiting. They keep coming up for me. I just choose do it now. It restarts your nav system right away.

If this does not happen after several days, let us know.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #14
Black Sunshine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23

Garage List
2015 F23  [0.00]
Hmm, I do not have the map option in my Subscribed Services. Wondering if its since I have a 235 and not 240?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #15
PerryMason
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sunshine View Post
Hmm, I do not have the map option in my Subscribed Services. Wondering if its since I have a 235 and not 240?
That stinks. I attached a screenshot of what I see in my subscribed services. Maybe that will help you figure out what is missing.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW Subscribed Services.pdf (1.38 MB, 222 views)

Last edited by PerryMason; 07-09-2019 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #16
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi... Here you go...

1. Go to: connecteddrive.bmwusa.com
2. Login in or create an account and log in
3. Scroll down and look for a section called ‘Subscribed Services’
4. In that section, look for a box/tile called ‘Map Update’ and click that box
5. Expand a section called ‘Automatic Map Update’
6. Find the region that represents your area and click the circle
7. Hit Save and that is it.

Wait a couple of days and look for a message on your car’s idrive panel that talks about map updates. Always choose that you want it now versus waiting. They keep coming up for me. I just choose do it now. It restarts your nav system right away.

If this does not happen after several days, let us know.
Perfect, thank you very much! I was clicking on "Automatic Map Update" at the top of the Subscribed Services page, but needed to click "Map Update' at the bottom, as your screenshot made clear to me. Pretty odd to have two boxes so similarly named!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #17
PerryMason
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Perfect, thank you very much! I was clicking on "Automatic Map Update" at the top of the Subscribed Services page, but needed to click "Map Update' at the bottom, as your screenshot made clear to me. Pretty odd to have two boxes so similarly named!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #18
Black Sunshine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2015 F23  [0.00]
Clearly my car is just old.... No map anything anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #19
Black Sunshine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2015 F23  [0.00]
Looks like my car really is to old for over the air map updates. Mine was built in late 2014. https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...cic-nbt-nbtevo
Appreciate 0