THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums UNITED KINGDOM Used M235i - What To Look Out For?

06-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
RS88
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i - '15 - Auto - Est Blue

Used M235i - What To Look Out For?

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to BMW!

I am in the market for a coupe with a decent amount of power on tap and am all but settled on getting a used M235i - I like the 4 series models but prefer the smaller dimensions of the 2, so this is what I I think I'll be going for.

Realistically I'm budgeting for a 4-6 year old model.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice on what to look out for with these cars; any known issues, or particular questions to ask the dealers when viewing this specific model.

Many thanks in advance!

RS
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

there are some recent answers to this very question. So use the SEARCH and you'll find excellent answers.

As for myself and overall review consensus the car as a whole is very reliable.

Charge pipe, oil filter housing gasket, small diameter return radiator hose (can't think of better description, rear trunk latch, seat bolster wear - are the things that I've had repaired or keep an eye out for.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS88 View Post
Hi all,

New to the forum and new to BMW!

I am in the market for a coupe with a decent amount of power on tap and am all but settled on getting a used M235i - I like the 4 series models but prefer the smaller dimensions of the 2, so this is what I I think I'll be going for.

Realistically I'm budgeting for a 4-6 year old model.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice on what to look out for with these cars; any known issues, or particular questions to ask the dealers when viewing this specific model.

Many thanks in advance!

RS
Fairly big difference in price if it does not have nav or hk. HK not worth it since both stereos suck. nav is more a personal issue.
If you can, find a 2017 M240. more power standard and more potential power with only tuning.
      06-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
RS88
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 01:40 AM   #5
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I live down on the South Coast and have a car about the age you're looking for (not for sale!) so I'd say there's nothing that's a Big Deal to look out for, unless it's above-average mileage. In that case, as mentioned, above the 40K miles mark there are a few things you might consider replacing (charge pipe etc.) but otherwise nothing fundamentally flawed.

All other things being equal, the HK Audio is still worth having above the base if it's on offer. And personally, I think that the Exterior mirrors - folding with anti-dazzle were worth the £275 extra.

I went for the full Professional navigation because I'd had the base one on my previous BMW and I liked the way you could split-screen the bigger display. After 3 years, the Connected Drive service is an annual subscription, for which you get 1. UK map downloaded to the car automatically, 2. Euro map updates downloaded to a USB from the portal, and 3. RTTI real-time traffic info. So for 3+ years, it would be good if the owner has a subscription running and you'll get all these services until it runs out and you can decide if you want to carry on. It's about £60/yr so up to you to decide if it's cost-effective.

The full High-beam Assist plus Adaptive Headlights plus Xenon Headlights are very good and if you commute cross-country in a UK winter these are definitely worth having. These were three separate options. Some dealers didn't realise so people ordered what they thought were the full adaptive xenon thing but came out of the factory with just 2 of the 3. You need to see the original spec' sheet to confirm what's actually fitted: it's not obvious externally. All of these options were in the Visibility package plus headlight wash (a waste of time IMO) if you went for this £440 pack.

Through-loading was an option when I bought and this make a big difference to the usability in terms of being able to carry longer items. Because it was an option, it often got missed-out on new builds because the dealer didn't bother to mention it.

People argue forever on whether the Adaptive M Sport Suspension is desirable or not. I like it, but the difference between the modes might not be as dramatic as you expect: perhaps worth arranging a non vs fitted test drive, if you can, to see what you think. The presence of the 'eco pro'-'comfort'-'sport' rocker switch by the shift stick is no indicator of whether the care had this: on a car without the adaptive suspension the switch will just change the throttle mapping, not both the throttle and the suspension.

Comfort Access Ignore the UK press hysteria about this. Most UK premium/performance car thefts are 'to order' by professional gangs, so whether it's conventional key or comfort access is irrelevant to them. The M235i is down with the average car in terms of probability of theft, and the primary risk is if it's parked on your drive (2x more likely to be stolen than on the road and 3x more likely than if garaged). Anyway, I find it useful and you can't lock your keys in the boot by mistake.

M Performance Limited Slip Differential LSD: This was only a retro-fit option from the dealer, costing around £2500. If you come across one where the owner has retro-fitted it, then this is a really big deal and very desirable option on the M235i. If you're going for the M235i for it's performance and handling then this makes a very big difference to your enjoyment of the car. Probably more than any other option. Odds are very low you'll find one. If you are lucky and get a car with LSD on, you will need to check with your insurer ti see if it's classed as a modification. Some insurer's do and some don't. Mine does but we're only talking about £28/yr extra.

'B63.21.2.337.710 079900 LAMP SET' Ask if the owner is including the standard spare bulb set for this model. It's a pricey item at £80.80 +VAT. Apart from being a useful spare to carry 'round, it's mandatory to have it if you take the car abroad.

If you decide on a convertible there are some items you'll want to look out for. I know you said a coupé, but I'd say take a look at the convertible - I found that I put the top down a lot more than I expected especially in spring and autumn, and it transforms many otherwise mundane journeys.

Reversing assist camera plus Park distance control, front & rear are pretty essential because the rear window is smaller than in the coupé. You regularly see threads on here from people who are trying to retro-fit these and really, for the hassle, you'd do much better just getting it as original equipment if you can.

Wind deflector was a £260 option that really transforms the cabin on a longer drive on faster roads. Makes the cabin much quieter and also good for security: stops items on the back seat from blowing-out and when locked, hides anything there.

'Convertible Roof Headlining Campaign' There was a late 2016/early 2017 non-urgent recall to replace a minor component of the convertible soft-top mechanism (the spring, I think). Didn't cost anything, so just worth checking it was done. It should show up on a customer Service Invoice with the above description.

General Soft-top Roof Care Ideally, you'd keep a soft-top in the garage. In any event, worth trying to determine how diligent they've been in cleaning and proofing the roof. I re-proof the fabric twice a year, and perhaps if it's really badly hit by tree sap or bird strike (usually once or twice a year in addition). But overall, the BMW soft-top is very good, and a massive advance in terms of durability and soundproofing over previous vehicles I've had.

The rest are options not particularly specific to the model and which you'll have to do the usual 'is it worth it?' calculation if they're on offer. If you go for the High Gloss Black interior trim (which I actually prefer over the retro-fit carbon fibre) just bear in mind that it's easily scratched by hard bristles e.g. the usual vacuum cleaner upholstery brush. I have the Oyster Leather upholstery, but like all lighter leathers, it can take on the blue from jeans - however, I've had no trouble cleaning this off (there's a BMW leather cleaning 'kit' you can get [B83.12.2.288.917 £23 incl VAT] or just do a search on this Forum).

Mixing BMW & non-BMW Screenwash - Dont! Lots of threads on this across all the forums. The owner's manual is explicit in warning you not to mix BMW and non-BMW screenwash. There are plenty of reports of people doing this and 'gunking' up their screenwash system. The 5 litre BMW Screenwash [B83.12.2.409.032 '086506/S/WASH 5L' £18 incl VAT] is more concentrated than the usual Halfords/garage stuff, so the BMW works out at about 2x the cost once diluted to the same strength. Given the hassle and cost of 'de-gunking' it doesn't seem worth the risk for the £8-£12/yr you save using non-BMW. But it looks like you can get away with 3rd-pary if you fully-flush the system - but but if you have the car serviced by BMW they'll top-up with BMW concentrate, so beware. So always ask what the seller has been using ...

Connected Drive App Pretty naff in my view. The app's main value is that you can put a destination in and then transfer it to the in-car Nav and you can lock/unlock th car remotely. You can also locate it when parked (but bizarrely, not when moving). The app integration is poor (TuneIn etc.): it is truly cumbersome and often doesn't work. Things like fuel status only show the tank level when you last (a) wire connected to the USB port and (b) opened-up the Connected Drive app.

Hope this all helps.

Last edited by msej449; 06-19-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #6
RS88
United Kingdom
Rep

Lots of great info there, thank you.

One question re. the BMW sat nav system: how do you find this compares to Google Maps? From experience, most built in systems are simply not as efficient as GM, whether this be down to the ease of input, best route available or a combination of the two. That being said, I've never seen The BMW system in action.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #7
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS88 View Post
Lots of great info there, thank you.

One question re. the BMW sat nav system: how do you find this compares to Google Maps? From experience, most built in systems are simply not as efficient as GM, whether this be down to the ease of input, best route available or a combination of the two. That being said, I've never seen The BMW system in action.
The BMW system looks better with the different views but none work better than Google maps or Waze, plus you have to pay for real time traffic.
The bigger higher res screen does look much better though for all other idrive functions.
      06-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #8
RS88
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, TonM3. That's kind of what I expected. Lovely to have it all in the centralised screen with the fancy views but likelihood is, GM on your phone is functionally better!

So, I bit the bullet today and bought a 5 yr old M235i in Estoril Blue, in great condition, with 29k on the clock. Took note of what lots have said and made sure it had the HK system!

Can't wait to get the car on Wednesday.

Thank you to all for your advice, greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 01:50 AM   #9
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Congratulations, and I'm sure you'll love it. As a new owner, worth mentioning again a few of the spares/accessories you might want to get from the Service Dept. Prices are approx.

63212337710 - Lamp Set of spare bulbs & fuse (but check - may be different for your year) £85!
83122409032 - 5 litre screenwash concentrate £25
83122288917 - BMW Leather Maintenance Kit £20
63312348803 - BMW LED Luggage Compartment Light £60
36122455269 - BMW Floating hub caps, set of 4, £75
51470429466 - Passenger Compartment Net £30

You might also consider getting the exhaust tips sandblasted and powder coated by a local paint shop. Cost ranges from £30-£50. The coating on the originals isn't very good and this, or CF replacement, seems to be the best way to avoid corrosion. See https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...php?p=26210697

Take a look at replacement CF/body/gloss black replacement mirror caps from the like of AutoID in the UK. Lots of owners (incl. me) think the grey-coloured originals clash with the body colour. See https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...php?p=26210697

Quite a few owners seem to retro-fit the generic BMW oblong luggage net to the transmission tunnel side of the passenger footwell. It's really useful for bits and pieces and is about £25. Part No. [51470429466]

If you do your own servicing and plan to remove/fit the wheels from time to time, and don't have a torque wrench, there is a BMW model-specific torque wrench you can get. It's around £30, which for a BMW special tool is remarkably cheap. Obvs it only has one setting but if you don't have any other vehicle is all you need.

BMW dealer spray paint cans don't usually cost any more than generic ones from Halfords. [EDIT YES THEY DO! On checking I realised I was very out of date on this - best you can do is £25 for a pair (paint+lacquer) of 150ml cans] But be aware that around 2015 the mix for Estoril Blue changed - apparently, there's an EB-1 and EB-2 so before ordering, make sure you have the right shade. If you go to a dealer's parts dept they'll check against your VIN. I've always found dealer Parts Depts very helpful and it's often a good idea to check against your VIN before buying anything that might be vehicle-specific like paint, bulb sets etc.

If you have to immobilise the car but want to disengage the interior motion detector (a pet inside or windows slightly open for ventilation) you can do it. See https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...php?p=20855303

If you have to drive on snow choose the right traction setting: press the car-with-wriggly-lines button for a couple of seconds until TRACTION appears on the instrument display. Once you're back on tarmac, repeat and the TRACTION should disappear. You can do this safely while the car is in motion. It resets back to 'normal' when you switch the ignition off i.e. you have to do it again if you're re-starting the car on snow. Ditto sand or loose gravel surfaces.

Last edited by msej449; 07-05-2020 at 04:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
RS88
United Kingdom
Rep

Once again, fantastic information there, MSE. Much appreciated.

I am currently in two minds about getting the rear diffuser sprayed to match the car; I know there's mixed opinions on this judging from some old threads, but I quite like it. In any case, I'll drive it for a few weeks before making any changes!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:45 PM   #11
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
@RS88 If you're familiar with Photoshop or an equivalent, it's always worth trying a colour-change out first using a photo' of your car. I was going to go for the replacement black kidney grille, but when I Photoshop'd it, I had second thoughts - somehow it didn't seem any better or worse, just different, and I decided it was a lot of effort/cost to go to for a possibly neutral result.

[Edit: Here you go ...

not a great piece of Photoshop editing but you get the idea e.g. strikes me that if the diffuser panel is body colour, then it makes my gloss black tail pipes look a bit unmatched. Possibly why BMW kept the diffuser panel grey (as well as cost)]

Last edited by msej449; 06-28-2020 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #12
RS88
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
@RS88 If you're familiar with Photoshop or an equivalent, it's always worth trying a colour-change out first using a photo' of your car. I was going to go for the replacement black kidney grille, but when I Photoshop'd it, I had second thoughts - somehow it didn't seem any better or worse, just different, and I decided it was a lot of effort/cost to go to for a possibly neutral result.

[Edit: Here you go ...

not a great piece of Photoshop editing but you get the idea e.g. strikes me that if the diffuser panel is body colour, then it makes my gloss black tail pipes look a bit unmatched. Possibly why BMW kept the diffuser panel grey (as well as cost)]
I'd have to agree with the black exhaust tips not quite going with it, however, I saw someone else's Estoril Blue 235 on here with chrome tips (and Estoril Blue diffuser) and it was more suited.

Time will tell - I'm in no hurry!

I have to say, though, I have noticed the exhaust tips on mine are showing some considerable signs of corrosion and I'm going to swap them out as soon as I can, or get them blasted and painted as per your recommendation. Right now they are ruining an otherwise flawless back end! 😊
Appreciate 0