THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) How to fix "pilled" or "rough" Alcantara

08-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
Lipper
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

How to fix "pilled" or "rough" Alcantara

G'day Folks,

I bought my m235i second-hand. It has the M-Performance Alcantara wheel with the LED display. Fantastic wheel but, unfortunately, the Alcantara was rough and pilled on the top half of the wheel - especially at 10 & 2. The bottom, where it remains basically untouched, was beautiful and soft.

I tried several products and youtube methods but never achieved satisfactory results - TILL NOW!

I used 400 grit sandpaper and it basically wipes away the pilling! I was amazed at how well it worked. Just have a vacuum handy to pick up all the little black bits that come off.

UPDATE:
I found this on a detailing Wiki page after I posted:

SANDPAPER:
One of the safest methods, but perhaps also the most messy one, would be to use sandpapers. 800 grit sandpaper is perfect for very rough surfaces, whereas 1200 grit will easily get rid of light pilling. After using the sandpaper, you will most likely need to vacuum the surrounding area well.
BMS JB4 w/Bluetooth| Wagner Competition IC | Wagner DP | Evolution Raceworks IC Pipes | Dynan CAI | BMS Catch-Can | Active Autowerks Axle-Back | ECS 2-Piece Rotors/Hawk HPS 5.0 Pads | Full MP Carbon/Alcantara Trim | M-Performance Alcantara/LED Steering Wheel

Last edited by Lipper; 08-19-2018 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
POMFKIMOCHI
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT/RWD EBII

How did they manage to install the e90 wheel on the f22? I saw your other pic and am very confused
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
rfranklin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: No fun car right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipper View Post
G'day Folks,

I bought my m235i second-hand. It has the M-Performance Alcantara wheel with the LED display. Fantastic wheel but, unfortunately, the Alcantara was rough and pilled on the top half of the wheel - especially at 10 & 2. The bottom, where it remains basically untouched, was beautiful and soft.

I tried several products and youtube methods but never achieved satisfactory results - TILL NOW!

I used 400 grit sandpaper and it basically wipes away the pilling! I was amazed at how well it worked. Just have a vacuum handy to pick up all the little black bits that come off.

UPDATE:
I found this on a detailing Wiki page after I posted:

SANDPAPER:
One of the safest methods, but perhaps also the most messy one, would be to use sandpapers. 800 grit sandpaper is perfect for very rough surfaces, whereas 1200 grit will easily get rid of light pilling. After using the sandpaper, you will most likely need to vacuum the surrounding area well.
Matt Moreman (Obsessed Garage) posted a video on his YouTube channel about restoring alcantara leather. Here's a link:

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Watched BBC's Salvage Hunters season 3 episode 4 today, to see the BMW 2002 touring, but they had an interior guy working on the Alcantara seats of the Volvo 850R. He de-pilled them with a sharp kitchen-style knife.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0