THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Used Dinantronics?

04-28-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
SVPREME
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Used Dinantronics?

Hey all. I know this has been brought up before in some threads but I just need some clarification.

What are the cons of buying a Dinantronics piggyback from a forum member? Pros obviously is the price. But I know the device is tied to the VIN so warranty wouldn't transfer over. Also since Dinan is a relatively conservative tune, I can imagine it to be pretty reliable in the long run.

I guess my question is for a system like the Stage 2 for M235i, would not having a warranty be worth it (considering it would be an almost $1800 price difference)?

If there's anything I'm missing please let me know. Thanks!
      04-28-2016, 11:51 PM   #2
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

I think you've got all pros and cons. I was debating the one Im sure you're eyeing. Its a matter of is the warranty worth it to you. It also might need a firmware update. Dinan can check with the VIN. I decided I would rather have a full warranty so Im going new down the road as I dont need the extra power yet. Im still happy with the car without a tune so far. So far is the key.
      04-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Will a used unit just be a plug and play for next buyer, or, is there some sort of activation fee to pay Dinan for 2nd buyer?

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
SVPREME
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann
Will a used unit just be a plug and play for next buyer, or, is there some sort of activation fee to pay Dinan for 2nd buyer?
I'm pretty sure it's plug and play. The VIN & warranty just doesn't transfer over. As for everything else I'm still waiting on others for feedback or advice.
      04-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
its plug and play, it may need a firmware update.
      05-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
usabia
sillyphuck
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 M235i  [7.00]
I have a stage 3 Dinan tune as well as all the "recommended parts" installed.

According to the shop that did the work for me:

"it will carry over to a different M235, BUT if your veihicle is not "tuned to optimize" the parts you have installed their may be less performance gains and even stability issues for bone stock parts. Especialy if you buy a used Dinan tuned stage 3 or higher and dont have all recommended dinan parts installed"

For instance

stage 1 dinan. no extra parts recommended allthough the shop will try to hit you up for the cold air intake. I had a BMS on at the time and i said nah. they were cool about it though.

stage 2 Should have the dinan cold air intake...and either the BMW upgrade Exhaust system (not the bone stock exhaust) or the dinan exhaust.

Stage 3 should have a Dinan intercooler

Now far as i could understand the shops dont require you to get the parts, but the Dinan tune will be "gimped" to reflect that only bone stock parts are running on the car.
Meaning less benefit of the tune. I thought it was bullcrap until i dragged a guy in my club with a used stage 3 Dinan he installed himself (his is a 2014 M235, mine a 2015). You can totaly tell the difference in performance between his and mine.
Plus hey a better exhaust/intake and intercooler makes sense anyway right?
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #7
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

you can always use the Dinan app for your phone.

Lets say you get a stage 3, you use the phone app to turn it down to a stage 1 or stage 2. Than when you get a FMIC, you can turn it back up to 3.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usabia View Post
I have a stage 3 Dinan tune as well as all the "recommended parts" installed.

According to the shop that did the work for me:

"it will carry over to a different M235, BUT if your veihicle is not "tuned to optimize" the parts you have installed their may be less performance gains and even stability issues for bone stock parts. Especialy if you buy a used Dinan tuned stage 3 or higher and dont have all recommended dinan parts installed"

For instance

stage 1 dinan. no extra parts recommended allthough the shop will try to hit you up for the cold air intake. I had a BMS on at the time and i said nah. they were cool about it though.

stage 2 Should have the dinan cold air intake...and either the BMW upgrade Exhaust system (not the bone stock exhaust) or the dinan exhaust.

Stage 3 should have a Dinan intercooler

Now far as i could understand the shops dont require you to get the parts, but the Dinan tune will be "gimped" to reflect that only bone stock parts are running on the car.
Meaning less benefit of the tune. I thought it was bullcrap until i dragged a guy in my club with a used stage 3 Dinan he installed himself (his is a 2014 M235, mine a 2015). You can totaly tell the difference in performance between his and mine.
Plus hey a better exhaust/intake and intercooler makes sense anyway right?
Stage 1 and 2 only require the intake. Exhaust provides minimal hp and is not required for any stage. Stock is fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #9
usabia
sillyphuck
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 M235i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Stage 1 and 2 only require the intake. Exhaust provides minimal hp and is not required for any stage. Stock is fine.
Thats baically what i said, I didnt say Exhaust gave horsepower boost

Exhaust rarely offers any significant HP boost on any car. But it allows the engine to "breather better than stock" thus improving overall perfomance.....
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

You would need to get rid of the bottleneck in the exhaust system which are the down pipes and maybe the resonator.

Changing the muffler to Dinan or Mperformance does absoutely nothing for power gain by itself. It does not improve flow since thats not what is restricting it.

You wrote:
"stage 2 Should have the dinan cold air intake...and either the BMW upgrade Exhaust system (not the bone stock exhaust) or the dinan exhaust."

If you wanted to get the most power while running Dinan without getting a CEL light, get a catted DP like wagner. This plus the dinan st3 tune, and intake and fmic will net you 390 whp.
Appreciate 0