THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Text Messaging not working on Blackberry Classic

04-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #23
clyjr
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjnj View Post
Thanks for the reply that is actually related to the question in hand. I already checked that; might only work the the Office option (which I don't have on idrive).

Seems there are a number of blackberry haters
Haters aside,
BMW support for any phone other than an iPhone is very weak...

I hate to say it, but I kind of wish I had researched more before buying my M235. Even with a new Android phone you won't get all the functionality BMW gives the iPhone...

ConnectedDrive is a joke, Office functionality doesn't work on all Android phones, etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #24
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
There is a good chance it simply won't work, and I do not have a BB Classic to test but if you want to try go to:

Settings > Networks and Connections > Bluetooth

Under this should be all of the bluetooth options you can fiddle with. According to their help file:

"To change which accounts the Bluetooth enabled device can access, in the Message Access Accounts section, turn on or turn off the switch beside each account."

Make sure any options that look like they involve sending info to the car are enabled. It is also possible if you run an IT Administered device that they've disabled the BT protocol required.

#bestguess
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyjr View Post
Haters aside,
BMW support for any phone other than an iPhone is very weak...

I hate to say it, but I kind of wish I had researched more before buying my M235. Even with a new Android phone you won't get all the functionality BMW gives the iPhone...

ConnectedDrive is a joke, Office functionality doesn't work on all Android phones, etc...
I was told yesterday from a Sales person at the dealership that the Office Functionality was fully supported for Blackberry and doesn't work for iPhone (or at least can't do email).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #25
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Thanks for the reply that is actually related to the question in hand. I already checked that; might only work the the Office option (which I don't have on idrive).

Seems there are a number of blackberry haters
for sure you need Office for texting to work....

Usually you can just code it also
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #26
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
for sure you need Office for texting to work....

Usually you can just code it also
Thanks thats what I thought...I might get into coding later on; there are some annoyances I want to get rid of lol the double pull on the door handle, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #27
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Thanks thats what I thought...I might get into coding later on; there are some annoyances I want to get rid of lol the double pull on the door handle, etc.
I don't have to double pull on my door handle? But I don't have it set to lock when I drive either. I'll have to see if I lock the doors while inside if I need a double pull to unlock, that would be annoying everyday.
      04-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #28
ThreeToTwo
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 6MT M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Yeah, I know that, wiseguy. I don't follow why sending a "text message" is any more effective than just calling someone, and it certainly is easier, especially if you have them on speed dial. <Snip>
I have to rise to that question (I'm a comms guy) and there is a useful answer. The difference between a call and a message/text is that the latter is asynchronous; you send when it's convenient to you, they reply when it's convenient to them. So the two ways of communicating are fundamentally different, which means that sometimes one is best, sometimes the other. For example, if you are in and out of mobile coverage as you drive, a call becomes impractical but a text will usually - in its own good time - get through.

And, yeah, don't text whilst you're driving. Siri (iPhone) does let you dictate your message but even that can be a distraction.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #29
ThreeToTwo
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 6MT M235i

Quote:
I was told yesterday from a Sales person at the dealership that the Office Functionality was fully supported for Blackberry and doesn't work for iPhone (or at least can't do email).
After quite a lot of hassle, I have an E-Mail account working on the car independently of my phone. In my case, it's an iCloud (IMAP) account.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #30
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
I don't have to double pull on my door handle? But I don't have it set to lock when I drive either. I'll have to see if I lock the doors while inside if I need a double pull to unlock, that would be annoying everyday.
if the car is locked no matter how, you will have to double pull
Appreciate 0