THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics iDrive reboots every two minutes

04-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
ihonzawa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i

iDrive reboots every two minutes

Just starting yesterday, my entire multimedia system reboots consistently every two minutes.

Regardless of whether my phone is connected via Bluetooth or USB, the entire system will shut the iDrive display off and reboot with the BMW text on the screen. The problem occurs even when the car is cold started inside my enclosed garage early in the morning. I do live in Hawaii but the temperature in my garage is in the mid 70's.

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware available and the problem still remains.

Has anyone experienced this sort of issue before? Our local BMW dealership is always booked a few weeks in advance and I'm willing to try any solutions out there in the meantime.

Aloha!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Your idrive is probably defective
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Happened to me. I used to get three-reboots-in-a-row, almost always after a warm start. Indeed, it ended when I got the idrive unit replaced.
      04-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
This happened to me and the dealer fixed it with a firmware update. Keep in mind this is firmware that is not available to us (i.e. software update via iDrive), rather something that only the dealer can flash.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
HIAviator
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

My iDrive was rebooting like yours directly after taking the car home from the dealership. I live in Hawaii as well and thought it might be the Kona heat. After taking the car home to Waimea I was having the same issue at the cooler elevation as well.

Took the car in and had the software updated and went through a service bulletin that says issues can arise if you have an iPhone connected and the name of your phone contains non alphanumeric characters such as emojis or any of your contacts as well. After that was sorted the iDrive was still rebooting. So I unpaired all devices from the car and turned off Bluetooth to prove it was not the issue stated in the service bulletin and took it back to the dealership. They replaced the iDrive and now it's fixed.

Before you take it to the dealership I would unpair and turn Bluetooth off to rule out the service bulletin. The dealership might try to reference the sb and send you on your way like they did to me.

Last edited by HIAviator; 04-25-2016 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:41 AM   #6
ihonzawa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i

I took the car in to the dealership today and they told me they "reprogrammed" the system. They said if I still have the problem, they'll move forward with their procedure and replace the entire system.

I've read a lot of posts saying the problem arose due to heat, but I started the car up on Haleakala where the temps were in the low 60's and the problem still occurred.

Hopefully the problem won't come back, but maybe a new system will be better in the long run. ?

Mahalo fellow Bimmerpost members!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:22 AM   #7
tenfour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: at the speed limit

interesting. I wonder if anyone in warmer climates during the summer, like Arizona or Nevada, it may be a more common issue. if anything, the idrive is just faulty. Keep us updated!

Current: '15 F22 EB 228i | M Sport | 6MT | Dinan | Rotiform | 35% tint | CF side mirrors
Gone: '11 B8 A4 | '08 Infiniti G37 Coupe 6MT | '04 E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0