THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Ordering a BMW

09-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #1
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' M440I

Ordering a BMW

This is the first time I ordered a car through BMW. Specifically I ordered a 2021 M240I. On that same day I traded in my current vehicle to the same BMW dealer. The dealer cut me a check for my trade in on the spot. However, they never ask for a deposit for the car I am ordered. I did fill out a credit form as I needed to finance the car through BMW in order to get certain discount. I am sure they ran my credit score which it should be fine.

My plan is to pay the car off after a few months. Is that a common practice for dealers not to require a deposit when ordering a car?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i

Depends, if your car isn’t a weird spec and the dealership thinks they’d be able to sell it quickly, there is little risk for them if your deal falls through. I put 1k down, sold my car privately while waiting for my new car, and worked out financing once the car arrived. You’re not really buying the car per say until the car is in front of you.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcollier91 View Post
Depends, if your car isn’t a weird spec and the dealership thinks they’d be able to sell it quickly, there is little risk for them if your deal falls through. I put 1k down, sold my car privately while waiting for my new car, and worked out financing once the car arrived. You’re not really buying the car per say until the car is in front of you.
Thanks. I am a bit skeptical. I think the M240I is in demand, especially in 6sp manual. The reason I had to order the car was because there were none available within a 100 miles radius.(manual 6sp)

I also negotiated a 14% discount from the MSRP on this M240I.(mostly because I took a hit in my trade in) My concern is the dealer may sell the car under me if they get a better offer. Please tell me I am paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #4
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Ask them ? Call sales manager and say that.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliuod View Post
Is that a common practice for dealers not to require a deposit when ordering a car?
Yes, I've ordered before without making a deposit. It very much depends on the dealer. A lot of them don't want to bother with the housekeeping aspect of taking/holding/refunding deposits. It's easier for them to just order car like they order every other car (albeit with it earmarked for a particular buyer). I do agree that if you're trying to do something weird (individual paint colors, some super-strange combo, etc.), you may increase the chances that even dealers that don't normally require deposits might do so in your case. But it's a pretty vanilla spec car, a lot of them don't care about deposits. If you back out, they'll just sell it to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:16 AM   #6
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

6MT is not a common or high demand configuration. That's why you had to order it. Per my dealer, "everybody wants to test drive one but nobody wants to buy one" and "we haven't seen one here in a while"

I made sure they didn't let mine out for test drives when it arrived.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I texted my sales person and I got it in writing that my ordered car is allotted to me. So I am good.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
Phillymb75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 M50 - 20 M240i vert 6mt

I just picked mine up at the performance center in June, you should inquire about that. They ship it there and you take delivery there but complete all the paperwork at the dealer before you go. It's an amazing experience with on track training and free, you just have to get yourself there. They can't sell it out from under you if they don't have it
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
makrop
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6MT MGM/CR

FWIW when I "ordered" mine initially, I didn't have a deposit. Come to find out, the first step was only securing an allocation. Once the dealer received the allocation and actually placed the order to BMW, THEN I came in and paid the deposit.
03' E46 330ci | 5MT | JB/B (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:37 PM   #10
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makrop View Post
FWIW when I "ordered" mine initially, I didn't have a deposit. Come to find out, the first step was only securing an allocation. Once the dealer received the allocation and actually placed the order to BMW, THEN I came in and paid the deposit.

I have a production number when I sign the paper. They just did not want/need a deposit. I called BMWUSA and they confirmed the order and has a production date on the last week of October.
Appreciate 0