THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Special Order Build Advice, Long Beach Blue Convertible

09-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
nickgsa60
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i BMW 328i

Special Order Build Advice, Long Beach Blue Convertible

Hi all,

After checking online, it seems like virtually no dealers are stocking manual m240i convertibles. So it looks like I’m going to go the special order route. It’s pretty exciting to get to spec exactly what I want, so I want to make sure to get it right. I’d appreciate any thoughts or advice on this build:

Colors: Long beach blue with oyster sensatec (does anyone own and have a picture of this combo? Or a LBB convertible in general?)

Wheels: Leaning towards the bi-color as I think they will complement the light interior

Top: Any advice on black vs moonlight? I don’t think I’ve ever seen moonlight in person

Options: Premium package, Harmon Kardon

Potential options: Adaptive full LED Lights (is this worth it?), wireless charging (is this worth it? Any pictures of the implementation? I’d get it if it works well.)
Any idea on ‘removal of standard kidney grill’? Does this make it all black?

Other items: I’ve seen several youtube videos that mention LSD, m sport exhaust, and m shifter. Are these available from the factory? If so, are they worthwhile?

Any other advice on the special order process in general would also be greatly appreciated. I plan to use the performance delivery option in South Carolina.

Oh, and if anyone is looking to sell a convertible with a stick and a non-black interior I’d be highly interested.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
surge98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW m240i

I'd skip the wireless charging. I've had three different service loaners with this feature, and on two of the three, it either didn't work at all with my Galaxy S9, or it only worked sporadically. You may also consider skipping the adaptive headlights, I'm not sure they're enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile. I know someone who had the adaptive light assembly break out of warranty, it was somewhere around $2000 to fix at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
nickgsa60
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge98 View Post
I'd skip the wireless charging. I've had three different service loaners with this feature, and on two of the three, it either didn't work at all with my Galaxy S9, or it only worked sporadically. You may also consider skipping the adaptive headlights, I'm not sure they're enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile. I know someone who had the adaptive light assembly break out of warranty, it was somewhere around $2000 to fix at the dealership.
Jeeze, thanks on both pieces of advice! Nice to save a bit of money too.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #4
amutti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

I ordered mine with it, but haven't taken delivery yet (or even received a build #) so I can't confirm anything. The dealer told me it added an extra USB port, had some "enhanced Bluetooth" and in the manual it says it allows the phone to use the external antenna for better reception (no idea how that works). It also upgrades the USB ports from 1.5A to 2.1A, so I assume faster charging over usb if your device supports it.

As irrational as this sounds, I mostly chose to add the package so my wife would have easier access to the extra USB port in the center console rather than the armrest. A very expensive extra USB port, but happy wife...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
PrazVT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M240i 6mt (soon)

I added wireless charging on my m240i order as well; while my phone does have wireless charging, I mostly added the feature to get the 2nd USB port. Unlike my '18 Audi A4 that has two SD Card slots, I've typically hooked up a USB drive with FLAC music to my BMWs. Having a 2nd USB port adds some flexibility so I can have that plus a phone connected (esp if I switch to iPhone to use Carplay, since the m240i is stuck w/ the older ID6 infotainment).
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
Phillymb75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 M50 - 20 M240i vert 6mt

I picked up my LBB on black at the performance center in June, I got all options but the auto parking. I did black interior with the bi-color wheels, another guy was picking up that same combo but with the black wheels.

On the wireless charging, I will say it works better in the 2 than in my X7. It's in the armrest and it holds it in place.

Grill, I had a 2018 (auto xdrive) before with the chrome grill, this one is much better (you'll see in the pic). I debated getting the black grill but decided against it after seeing this one.

I also installed the LSD since I was paranoid about having rear wheel drive and a stick. I have another thread that goes into detail about how to order with discounts. You can't do it as a port installed option (at least I couldn't), I scheduled it for when I got home.

You'll really enjoy the performance center delivery, it was a great experience.

Oh, I took me two months to get an allocation when I ordered in December. Others have mentioned trying to order recently and a lack of allocations, so I would start the process sooner than later.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
qlaval52.50
      09-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
amutti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

I ordered with the black grill on sunset orange, but since I still don't have an allocation, I might switch back. I thought it was chrome, but this gray is nicer.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 12:25 PM   #8
nickgsa60
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillymb75 View Post
I picked up my LBB on black at the performance center in June, I got all options but the auto parking. I did black interior with the bi-color wheels, another guy was picking up that same combo but with the black wheels.

On the wireless charging, I will say it works better in the 2 than in my X7. It's in the armrest and it holds it in place.

Grill, I had a 2018 (auto xdrive) before with the chrome grill, this one is much better (you'll see in the pic). I debated getting the black grill but decided against it after seeing this one.

I also installed the LSD since I was paranoid about having rear wheel drive and a stick. I have another thread that goes into detail about how to order with discounts. You can't do it as a port installed option (at least I couldn't), I scheduled it for when I got home.

You'll really enjoy the performance center delivery, it was a great experience.

Oh, I took me two months to get an allocation when I ordered in December. Others have mentioned trying to order recently and a lack of allocations, so I would start the process sooner than later.
Wow! Looks amazing, thanks for sharing! And yes, I agree, I think the stock grill looks very good (the black one does too).
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
againsttherage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

I added the m perf LSD and shifter this summer. The LSD should be standard with this car and everyone who has said they wish they did it sooner is right. Don't wait on this part. You can get it for 20% off now which you'll like be hard pressed to beat.

The factory shifter feels great, but the m perf shifter feels more premium and to me feels a bit more snappy although perhaps that is just placebo or something.

Be aware these m perf interior upgrades get addicting and soon you have also added the parking break, interior trim, steering wheel trim, etc. The interior trim also had a functional improvement in that the aluminum trim is highly reflective.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #10
nickgsa60
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by againsttherage View Post
I added the m perf LSD and shifter this summer. The LSD should be standard with this car and everyone who has said they wish they did it sooner is right. Don't wait on this part. You can get it for 20% off now which you'll like be hard pressed to beat.

The factory shifter feels great, but the m perf shifter feels more premium and to me feels a bit more snappy although perhaps that is just placebo or something.

Be aware these m perf interior upgrades get addicting and soon you have also added the parking break, interior trim, steering wheel trim, etc. The interior trim also had a functional improvement in that the aluminum trim is highly reflective.
Thanks for the advice. Where can you get a 20% discount on the LSD? Do you know if they are still offering port installation?

Good point on the aluminum trim being reflective. That could especially be an issue for the convertible. I’m starting to think I might go with the carbon fiber since it’s a no cost option now.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #11
Phillymb75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 M50 - 20 M240i vert 6mt

Here is what I have from when I ordered, discount is good through the end of the year.

I think you need to start at the dealer website, BMW of Mt Laurel, for it to work. I know one person had a problem starting at BMWUSA.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ShopBMWUSA.com _ BMW M Performance Limited Slip Differential.pdf (617.0 KB, 284 views)
File Type: pdf BMW with discount.pdf (357.5 KB, 298 views)
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #12
nickgsa60
Private
Rep

Update: Drove a second new M240i, the steering was totally fine, with no issues like the last one. I'm going to chalk it up to poor alignment... I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my special order

Thanks all for the advice so far... so last week I test drove a coupe for the first time (no convertibles anywhere around). I loved everything about it, except I couldn't get past the steering. It had the same issue that I've seen discussed a few places -- completely disconnected for about the first inch off-center. I was pretty shocked as my current dd is a 2014 f30, in that car you can feel the smallest movement begin to initiate a turn.

Does anyone else notice this issue? Perhaps it was the particular car I drove? It had the all season tires... I'm pretty concerned this would really bug me over time. But I'm also pretty bummed because there is nothing else like this car on the market and especially with the convertible disappearing next year.

Last edited by nickgsa60; 10-19-2020 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #13
nickgsa60
Private
Rep

I went ahead and pretty much loaded the car and got the 6MT (skipped the leather though). Also went for the moonlight top. Car is waiting for a ship in Bremerhaven. Can't wait to get it. Also super happy I was able to special order it. I haven't seen any with similar options at any US dealers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 04:14 PM   #14
Dubsilk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240 6MT

Did you go with oyster?

Which trim?

I’m still trying in vain to get the order into the system.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #15
nickgsa60
Private
Rep

Yep, I went with oyster. For trim, I got aluminum with the blue. Was a tough choice between that and the carbon fiber. The carbon fiber looks super high quality in person, but it also darkens the interior and I was going for a lighter look.

Good luck getting an order in, can't be too many left at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 07:38 PM   #16
nickgsa60
Private
Rep

Got it! Thank you to all of those who offered advice along the way. So far I love it. I have no regrets on any of the option choices I made. I'll try to make a detailed build post when I have some more time.

Was fortunate enough to pick it up on a beautiful day at the PDC in South Carolina. What an incredible experience, I can't recommend picking up there enough.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
jzeiler4318.50
JWR0.00
amutti83.50
E46ZHP254.00
TonM3246.00
Miata1385.50
      03-09-2021, 08:09 PM   #17
PeteTheMailman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 240

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Congrats! Beautiful car. Will be picking mine there on April 19th.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:08 PM   #18
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Spectacular, congratulations!
      05-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #19
BMW-49
Rep
Drives: BMW wannabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgsa60 View Post
Got it! Thank you to all of those who offered advice along the way. So far I love it. I have no regrets on any of the option choices I made. I'll try to make a detailed build post when I have some more time.

Was fortunate enough to pick it up on a beautiful day at the PDC in South Carolina. What an incredible experience, I can't recommend picking up there enough.
Congrats!!.. Beautiful car..

Is that Long Beach Blue? Are those tires all season or performance?
Please do share your build post at the earliest
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 05:31 PM   #20
BMW-49
Rep

Quote:

I am also ordering the same.. LBB and trying to pick the top color. My car could go to build anytime.

Did you go with the standard black or Moonlight for the soft top? Can you please post a picture with the top up? Especially if you have one from the same location/lighting as the other pictures.

I am also planning for PDC. Can't wait for it!!

Last edited by BMW-49; 05-10-2021 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #21
nickgsa60
Private
Rep

I went with moonlight and I'm very happy with it -- I also waffled on this aspect of my spec, but I have never regretted my choice. Its looks can change quite a bit depending on the lighting.

In most circumstances, it just looks black. However, in some lighting, it takes on a very cool 3D effect that in my mind makes it look more premium. In direct sunlight it can also look like metallic carbon.

Overall, I'd say it's fun and interesting and never really detracts from the car. The only time I'd advise against it would be for those going for a fully blacked-out spec.

Here's a picture I took with the top up, it just looks black: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1809337

I think this picture from jzeiler4 is one of the best photo representations I've seen: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1106980

I think you are making a good choice staying away from the brown top. It is very polarizing and I'd only recommend it if you are certain you love it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 11:14 AM   #22
BMW-49
Rep

Quote:
I went with moonlight and I'm very happy with it -- I also waffled on this aspect of my spec, but I have never regretted my choice. Its looks can change quite a bit depending on the lighting.

In most circumstances, it just looks black. However, in some lighting, it takes on a very cool 3D effect that in my mind makes it look more premium. In direct sunlight it can also look like metallic carbon.

Overall, I'd say it's fun and interesting and never really detracts from the car. The only time I'd advise against it would be for those going for a fully blacked-out spec.

Here's a picture I took with the top up, it just looks black: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1809337

I think this picture from jzeiler4 is one of the best photo representations I've seen: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1106980

I think you are making a good choice staying away from the brown top. It is very polarizing and I'd only recommend it if you are certain you love it.

Thanks much for sharing the details. I went ahead with Moonlight black.

Btw.. looks like you changed the mirrors to match the body color. Where did you get those?
Appreciate 0