THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Ordered '21 M240ix - no production # yet?

09-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #45
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I'm curious, what benefit do you think AWD will give you in rain and severe thunderstorms?
It seems logical that AWD will help it handle wet or snowy roads. My '14 X5 has rear wheel drive and a couple of times when driving in heavy rain on the highway I felt the car got a little unstable. I've heard the AWD versions feel like they're driving on rails. I grew up in and learned how to drive in NY and have driven in snow and ice. I know there's not much you can do on ice, but I think it should help with other road situations. Plus the AWD is a little faster than the RWD ;-) (We also have mountain property in TN and the road up has some sharp turns and not meticulously kept up.
'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #46
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVito View Post
It seems logical that AWD will help it handle wet or snowy roads. My '14 X5 has rear wheel drive and a couple of times when driving in heavy rain on the highway I felt the car got a little unstable. I've heard the AWD versions feel like they're driving on rails. I grew up in and learned how to drive in NY and have driven in snow and ice. I know there's not much you can do on ice, but I think it should help with other road situations. Plus the AWD is a little faster than the RWD ;-) (We also have mountain property in TN and the road up has some sharp turns and not meticulously kept up.
About 90%+ of what you are discussing is mediated by the tires, which affect forward motion, turning, and stopping. Adding power to the front wheels helps with forward motion if/when the rears have lost traction, best exemplified on your snowy mountain road example, but far secondarily to having dedicated winter tires. Hydroplaning in the rain is a 100% tire phenomenon (and speed dependent).
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #47
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

AWD tends to mask the lack of traction, leading to bigger "offs" when travelling faster than is suitable for the amount of grip. In the winter around here it is amazing to see how far into the snow banks some AWD drivers manage to bury their vehicles, especially when they think they have enough grip with all season tyres, which may be the case for accelerating, but not when it comes to stopping.
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #48
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

There is a reason there are almost no AWD cars on Florida dealers lots. I live in Utah now, have the xi and I sort of wish I had not paid more for the extra weight and different feel. Technically it is faster, but only if you are doing 0-60 launches. Not something likely to be important. Just take another car in the winter if the mountain roads are really steep going to TN.
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-16-2020, 03:27 PM   #49
swc5150
Private
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo

I personally prefer the xdrive for the added grip, even on just wet streets. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Launches are fun and more confident too. There's no shortage of AWD high-performance cars in FL
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #50
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

I'm sorry but all you naysayers of xDrive cannot convince me that your machine is better by putting 100% of the power on only two wheels and 2 contact patches over me putting 100% of my power into 4 wheels and 4 contact patches under ANY driving conditions. You cannot make up for that with any tires on a two wheel drive vehicle.
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #51
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swc5150 View Post
I personally prefer the xdrive for the added grip, even on just wet streets. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Launches are fun and more confident too. There's no shortage of AWD high-performance cars in FL
If you are prone to do wide open throttle launches on wet streets, there may be a benefit, although the wisdom is in question. No benefit for braking/turning in the wet. But, having it and not needing it does come at a cost...financial, weight, steering feel, maintenance...it's not a "free choice". Truly high performance cars....M5, Porsches, etc. with AWD have that configuration to allow their extreme torque to be delivered on dry roads without wheelspin. That's not quite the 2 Series situation for almost all drivers.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #52
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
I'm sorry but all you naysayers of xDrive cannot convince me that your machine is better by putting 100% of the power on only two wheels and 2 contact patches over me putting 100% of my power into 4 wheels and 4 contact patches under ANY driving conditions. You cannot make up for that with any tires on a two wheel drive vehicle.
This is not a matter of "better" or "worse". How would one even define "better"?The simple issue is whether the available torque produced by the engine is delivered to the ground within the capability of the tire to maintain traction. Who here with a rear wheel drive 2 Series has unintentionally had their wheels spin other than in winter (and if so, under what conditions and tires, please?) Putting power to 4 wheels has no effect on maintaining stability on the highway in standing water as the OP raised. That's a matter of how tires channel water to prevent hydroplaning.

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-16-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #53
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

The AWD has shown its advantage when starting up at a stop light facing up a steep hill in the wet. I have had my RWD car slip where my AWD cars never have a problem on that same place. I lived in FL and never even considered buying an AWD car when there was a choice. For me, there was nothing to justify the extra weight and expense in a state that is flat as a pancake.
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-16-2020, 05:00 PM   #54
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
So it's your thinking that your car is going to lap a race track faster than the equivalent RWD 2 Series car, and that the tire compounds on each car don't matter?
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #55
swc5150
Private
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
If you are prone to do wide open throttle launches on wet streets, there may be a benefit, although the wisdom is in question. No benefit for braking/turning in the wet. But, having it and not needing it does come at a cost...financial, weight, steering feel, maintenance...it's not a "free choice". Truly high performance cars....M5, Porsches, etc. with AWD have that configuration to allow their extreme torque to be delivered on dry roads without wheelspin. That's not quite the 2 Series situation for almost all drivers.
Agreed, I never said the choice was free, I'd just rather have it in my 2er. There's times I'd like to have it in our Boxster too honestly My only point is I don't think the OP is making an unwise choice in the least.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #56
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swc5150 View Post
Agreed, I never said the choice was free, I'd just rather have it in my 2er. There's times I'd like to have it in our Boxster too honestly My only point is I don't think the OP is making an unwise choice in the least.
For the hills of Tennessee in the winter, I agree with you, assuming proper tires first.
For Florida, regardless of rainfall, I would differ.
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #57
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Who here with a rear wheel drive 2 Series has unintentionally had their wheels spin other than in winter (and if so, under what conditions and tires, please?)
Stick, I'm with you on when AWD does and does not help, but if you've never experienced wheel spin on dry pavement, you must never switch to DSC Off mode. I've experienced wheel slip on dry pavement with DSC Off in my AWD 240 on stock tires plenty of times from shortly after the break-in period to today! Comfort mode, Sport mode seem to prevent wheel slip entirely and even Sport + intervenes on me earlier than I would like it to.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 07:30 PM   #58
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Stick, I'm with you on when AWD does and does not help, but if you've never experienced wheel spin on dry pavement, you must never switch to DSC Off mode. I've experienced wheel slip on dry pavement with DSC Off in my AWD 240 on stock tires plenty of times from shortly after the break-in period to today! Comfort mode, Sport mode seem to prevent wheel slip entirely and even Sport + intervenes on me earlier than I would like it to.
True. I have/do not switch DSC off.
Stock tires are almost universally suboptimal.
Interesting this happened even with XDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #59
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' M440I

I traded my 19 S5 in yesterday and ordered a 2021 M240I. I asked the dealer what is the time frame before I get the car. He said about 3 months. He then came back later told me he has an allocation and a production number ready for my order. I was really surprised.

Today, I called BMW genius and spoke to someone. He confirmed the order and the production is set at week 44 of 2020. That means the car will be built by the end of week 44. So hopefully I will get the car around middle of December.

The only issue I have was I wanted the jet black wheels with performance tires when I configured the car via bmwusa. However, when the dealer ordered the car that option was not available. The jet black wheels only come with all season runflats. I have no choice but to accept. I figured it will be cheaper to replace tires than wheels.
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #60
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliuod View Post
I traded my 19 S5 in yesterday and ordered a 2021 M240I. I asked the dealer what is the time frame before I get the car. He said about 3 months. He then came back later told me he has an allocation and a production number ready for my order. I was really surprised.

Today, I called BMW genius and spoke to someone. He confirmed the order and the production is set at week 44 of 2020. That means the car will be built by the end of week 44. So hopefully I will get the car around middle of December.

The only issue I have was I wanted the jet black wheels with performance tires when I configured the car via bmwusa. However, when the dealer ordered the car that option was not available. The jet black wheels only come with all season runflats. I have no choice but to accept. I figured it will be cheaper to replace tires than wheels.
Bear in mind that unless the config options have changed recently, the selection of all-season tyres reduces the rear wheel width from 8.0" to 7.5" and rear tyre size from 245/35-18 with the staggered performance non-runflat tyres to 225/40-18 all around with all-seasons run flats.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #61
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Bear in mind that unless the config options have changed recently, the selection of all-season tyres reduces the rear wheel width from 8.0" to 7.5" and rear tyre size from 245/35-18 with the staggered performance non-runflat tyres to 225/40-18 all around with all-seasons run flats.
Actually, that is good. I rather have a non-staggered set up. That way I can have the option of rotating tires. I highly doubt I will miss the performance in handling with the staggered setup. I don't track my car so I should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #62
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
The jet black wheels only come with all season runflats. I have no choice but to accept. I figured it will be cheaper to replace tires than wheels.
Don't assume that the runflats will be terrible for you just because most people don't like them. They have their downsides, but for me they have one major advantage that more than makes up for the negatives.

If you enjoy sliding your Miata around on the great roads of N Cal, you might find it is easier to do that in the M240i on the runflat all seasons than on extreme performance summer tires. With less traction you reach the limit in a corner at a lower speed, so you can enjoy more of the corners and do it at safer speeds.
MissVito205.50
      09-21-2020, 08:07 PM   #63
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The dealer gave us the VIN on Friday and said the car should be here end of October. We'll see how that goes. Good luck with yours. Keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #64
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVito View Post
The dealer gave us the VIN on Friday and said the car should be here end of October. We'll see how that goes. Good luck with yours. Keep us posted
Congratulations! By the way did your dealer ask for a deposit when you order your car? Mine didn't. Me being skeptical wondering why? Probably overthinking it.
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #65
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

Well I at least have a production number now and it looks like week 44 is the build week for all these M240s. Making progress.
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #66
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well I at least have a production number now and it looks like week 44 is the build week for all these M240s. Making progress.
Not sure how to decode our order status form. I think our production week is 38-39, estimated production date says 9/28/20.

Last edited by MissVito; 09-22-2020 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0