THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Need opinion on suspension noise and f8x suspension parts

08-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
TwistedX
Really Twisted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i F23 8AT

Need opinion on suspension noise and f8x suspension parts

2015 m235 RWD 8AT 51K on Airlift 3P air suspension for less than 4k.

I believe my bushings are going(or that's the FB consensus

Got a knocking/tapping noise on the driver side front. I can feel it in the floor board/dead rest pedal. Happens at low and high speed(can definitely hear it at higher speeds and sounds very much like a knocking noise but not motor related). No specific rhythm to it, happens when straight or turning, bumps dont make it worse(if anything i don't hear it on bumps), its not a consistent noise, not height dependent, no obvious steering issues

I am bagged, I pulled the wheel off and everything looks and feels tight, nothing obvious, no damage to any suspension or steering pieces or loose/free hanging wires/lines that could be tapping.

I'm looking at new bushings and ran across the F8X TS and Control arm thread. I realize that the f8x bushings are firmer but do they have enough articulation to handing being bagged suspension?
      08-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedX View Post
2015 m235 RWD 8AT 51K on Airlift 3P air suspension for less than 4k.

I believe my bushings are going(or that's the FB consensus

Got a knocking/tapping noise on the driver side front. I can feel it in the floor board/dead rest pedal. Happens at low and high speed(can definitely hear it at higher speeds and sounds very much like a knocking noise but not motor related). No specific rhythm to it, happens when straight or turning, bumps dont make it worse(if anything i don't hear it on bumps), its not a consistent noise, not height dependent, no obvious steering issues

I am bagged, I pulled the wheel off and everything looks and feels tight, nothing obvious, no damage to any suspension or steering pieces or loose/free hanging wires/lines that could be tapping.

I'm looking at new bushings and ran across the F8X TS and Control arm thread. I realize that the f8x bushings are firmer but do they have enough articulation to handing being bagged suspension?
You might be better off using a monoball at the TS for full articulation. You can press the bushing out and press in the new monoball.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
TwistedX
Really Twisted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i F23 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
You might be better off using a monoball at the TS for full articulation. You can press the bushing out and press in the new monoball.
Your opinion on Powerflex bushings? They don't press in, more like squish in...
      08-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedX View Post
Your opinion on Powerflex bushings? They don't press in, more like squish in...
We haven't installed any on the F chassis but on the older E36/E46 they weren't that great and were noisy after lubrication runs dry.

here is a great option:

https://www.hpashop.com/Whiteline-20...?categoryId=-1
Appreciate 0