THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Going from a Miata to an M240i: An Introduction

04-12-2019, 03:13 AM   #23
beamersauce
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkdal View Post
Nice thread. I'm really torn as I want to get a fun convertible and I have the ND 30th anniversary special edition Miata on order (or rather reservation, no idea when they're actually gonna build them). But with 2 kids it means I can only drive it by myself or if I run around with just one kid. Or I could get an M235i/240i convertible and have top down fun every time I drive cause it'll fit all of us. The kids are obviously voting for that one.

I can't justify buying two cars in close succession, but I'm hesitant to give up the reservation on the Miata because this edition is pretty epic with the unique paint, interior, wheels, and option configs (basically a maxed out GT trim + all the chassis upgrades from the Club + Apple CarPlay) and I think it's going to hold it's value well and would be really fun to have in 8 years to teach my kids to drive stick in. It's a one time deal to get one (unless people end up selling theirs down the road) while an M235/240 is available to pickup any time. On the other hand buying a car I can rarely drive doesn't sound awesome, and I did just find my preferred color combo with a manual transmission for a good price.

Argh!
My family just picked up an '18 Miata RF for my dad and I daily a m240i. The cars are both fun in their own unique ways. I think there's something special about the 30th anniversary edition you were talking about and I feel like you're more emotionally connected with the miata because of that.

From my experience driving both cars, I'd still go with the m240i. The balance the car has between being comfortable and the ability to be fast is one of my favorite parts about the car. I commute 100 miles when I drive to work a few times a week and I just love how easy the car is to drive. When I get to the backroads or exit the freeway, I always go into sport+ or traction to hear the exhaust and have some fun in the turns.

I found the miata to be very - I mean incredibly uncomfortable. We delivered the car to my dad in Southern California (about 350 miles away) and my back was really in pain after that drive. I got a bad kink in my back and my family was asking why I was walking crooked. The car is beautiful though! Sometimes I feel like it attracts more attention than my m240i. I can't deny that the miata is more zippy and feels so connected to the road. I loved the true roadster experience and wish that the bmw could be a little more "sporty" and have that driver engagement. The steering wheel on the miata feels very cheap though. It's like holding onto a very thin stick if that makes any sense. Whereas, I don't think I could ever go back to but having a leather wrapped steering wheel now. Most of the miatas interior has come a long way and is quite modern. The nav is like an old school TomTom navigation system - it feels very outdated. I use the voice activated nav in my car almost every day and it's very intuitive. There are so many little comforts that the bmw offers that it was hard for me to appreciate the quality improvements that the miata has made.

But what sells me on the m240i is the pure power. It's more than enough while the miata is simply not enough. I love to open the car up any chance I get. When I test drove the miata for the first time, it didn't have enough pull for me. But this comes after putting 30k miles on the bmw since owning it and becoming accustomed to having power on tap at any moment. If you haven't gotten used to the power and turbo of a car like the m240i, the miata may be more than adequate on the city streets.

I wanted to add one last note that my dad had texted me just earlier today. He loves the car on the street, but lamented that it had no power on the freeway. He came from driving an old Honda accord and never really cared about power. The 2019+ miatas did get that extra bump in hp that his car doesn't have though.

Best of luck to you! Happy to give your feedback on either car if you need anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #24
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I'm a three-time Miata owner (NA, NB, NC). I had planned to get an ND, but once I test drove the M240i, I lost all interest in EVER getting another Miata. BMW is superbly competent and entertaining, without demanding that you sacrifice everyday comfort and refinement.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #25
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Nice write up, OP. And congrats on the new acquisition to the stable.

The Miata's are cool, they are very good drivers cars. At a local HPDE, the newer Miata's were making a lot of GT cars look silly on the track, with a good driver. I respect their abilities, as well as have had seat time in a spec Miata (old chassis) and the experience whilst running against 25+ others on track that day just showed me how competitive and hard they can be run.

Seems like a great progression, for you, back into the BMW of today.
      04-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #26
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Had both a NB Sport, which I autocrossed for years and NC PRHT Miata, both manuals...their appeal is their nimbleness and "close to the road" driving excitement.. No torque but in town corning at 25mpg is FUN. Downsides are noise and ride quality. Both of those issues are improved in our current '15 MINI Roadster...along with much more usable room inside and in the boot.....
Would love to add a 2 series down the road.
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #27
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamersauce View Post
I wanted to add one last note that my dad had texted me just earlier today. He loves the car on the street, but lamented that it had no power on the freeway. He came from driving an old Honda accord and never really cared about power. The 2019+ miatas did get that extra bump in hp that his car doesn't have though.
As you likely know, that can be fixed. When I was considering a Miata, a Miata shop owner recommended Flyin' Miata to me: https://www.flyinmiata.com/.

He said their turbo kits were very complete, well thought-out, and wouldn't compromise the life of the motor in any significant way if the car was driven in an adult fashion. Adding 70 HP & 70 torque to that little car will really wake it up: https://www.flyinmiata.com/bbr-stage-1-turbo.html.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #28
beamersauce
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
As you likely know, that can be fixed. When I was considering a Miata, a Miata shop owner recommended Flyin' Miata to me: https://www.flyinmiata.com/.

He said their turbo kits were very complete, well thought-out, and wouldn't compromise the life of the motor in any significant way if the car was driven in an adult fashion. Adding 70 HP & 70 torque to that little car will really wake it up: https://www.flyinmiata.com/bbr-stage-1-turbo.html.
That would be really cool! It would have been nice to get my dad the '19 with the small bump in power too. My dad would never go for the turbo kit though - thanks for sharing the link!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #29
falkdal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

All valid points for both cars. I admit the lure of the Miata at this moment is specifically because I got one of the 500 30AE reservations. I have been looking at used NDs and it feels strange to spend the same on a new Miata when I could get a CPO m240i for the same price. But a cool and rare car is useless if it's uncomfortable and/or too uncompromising for my daily life. I think I may rent one on Turo.com and spend a day with one to see how we get on. There is an M240i convertible nearby too, so a back to back test is probably the best way to settle this.

I will say I was not a fan of the standard Club trim seats, but the Recaro alcantara seats in the 30AE (also available as an option on the Club) were vastly superior when I drove a '17 Club with those added. Plus they look way nicer.

The turbo kit is awesome and they also do a supercharger kit. It doesn't boost torque as much but the same top end HP with the bonus that it comes with a 3 year warranty equivalent to the factory power train warranty to cover any issues resulting from the added power. The are both CARB legal in California too.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #30
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
I'm a three-time Miata owner (NA, NB, NC). I had planned to get an ND, but once I test drove the M240i, I lost all interest in EVER getting another Miata.
After saying (just 11 days ago) that I'd **never** have another Miata, guess what? I just ordered my fourth one, a '19 ND soft top. Oops!

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #31
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 GRolla; MDX S

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a three-time Miata owner (NA, NB, NC). I had planned to get an ND, but once I test drove the M240i, I lost all interest in EVER getting another Miata.
After saying (just 11 days ago) that I'd **never** have another Miata, guess what? I just ordered my fourth one, a '19 ND soft top. Oops!
Are you trading/selling the 240?!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #32
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
Sold it two months ago. I know it's confusing; even I can't remember what's parked in my garage sometimes.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 05:21 AM   #33
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sold it two months ago. I know it's confusing; even I can't remember what's parked in my garage sometimes.
Looks like you will be "sacrificing everyday comfort and refinement." LOL😀

I was a long- time NA owner. Miatas are lots of fun- enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #34
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Looks like you will be "sacrificing everyday comfort and refinement." LOL😀

I was a long- time NA owner. Miatas are lots of fun- enjoy!
Don't worry too much about stevenvillatoro. As I recall he sold the M240i because he picked up a very sweet new Porsche 911 Carrera T. I suspect he's getting the MX5 just to drive on Saturdays in months with 31 days.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:30 PM   #35
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
Don't worry too much about stevenvillatoro. As I recall he sold the M240i because he picked up a very sweet new Porsche 911 Carrera T.
I heard that stevenvillatoro sold his 911 T today after just nine weeks and 675 miles with it.

More importantly, congrats to the OP, airansun. The M240i is awesome!

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:37 AM   #36
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just read your thread re the 911. As they say on the Miata site, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow! There is truly something to be said for being able to manually take a car to redline without fear of being arrested
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #37
p912guy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I heard that stevenvillatoro sold his 911 T today after just nine weeks and 675 miles with it.

More importantly, congrats to the OP, airansun. The M240i is awesome!
Really? What's the story here please?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #38
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
LOL. Steve! You should just keep all of these sports cars and rent them out on Turo! Then, you can change your mind as often as you'd like and make money doing it.

Glad to see you are still learning as you go and trying different things. Life is too short to settle.
      05-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #39
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
What's the story here please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
LOL. Steve! ...Glad to see you are still learning as you go and trying different things. Life is too short to settle.
Both my M240i and the 911 T purchases were due to a curiosity as to how those two brands had evolved since my prior ownership (40+ years ago) of multiple examples of each.

The BMW proved to be **extremely** satisfying, but the Porsche had become overly 'serious' in its driving mission and too über-engineered for my taste. It was something I wanted to find out for myself, to see if I had 'matured' with those brands. Once I got my Porsche lesson, the best exit strategy (financially speaking) was a quick one.

I had owned three Miatas – one of each prior generation (1990, 2000, and 2011) – so I knew that I **needed** to get the ND at some point. I've never stopped being deeply involved in the Miata community. IMO, the Miata is still closest to the pure, uncomplicated driving experiences of the BMWs and Porsches of the '50s to '70s that were so special to me. The ND Miata, with its brilliant new engine, is a total home run.

Of the 35 cars I've owned, the M240i and this most recent Miata are my absolute favorites, yet each for a slightly different reason. These two models' stellar ability to do "more with less" is pure genius. Like chocolate and vanilla, both are super tasty!

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #40
lennyf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

I had a '96 M Edition Miata. (LOVED THAT CAR)
M240i is on another level.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #41
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Two friends of mine have NB Miatas. Both are on coilovers and one has a base FlyinMiata turbo kit, wheels/tires, suspension parts, and roll bar. It's a freaking blast. It's about as fast as my M235 6MT with just a downpipe, but it "feels" so much faster and way more dramatic. It's so connected. I avoid driving it much because it make my M235 feel like a wet noodle. I help work on the NBs quite a bit. The cars are so damn simple to work on and when you see their inner workings, it's all race car type stuff underneath. Parts are cheap and plentiful as well.

I will end up getting a Miata to go with my M235, but I'm wavering on if it will be a butched up and raw NB with a base FM turbo kit or the latest RF with the tilt/telescoping wheel, more powerful motor, and some suspension and wheels/tires. I think the RF is really sexy, semi-exotic, and aggressive looking with meatier rubber, wider tires, and a 1.5" drop. The NB needs a bit more work to look the part. Both cars drive exceptionally.
      05-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #42
p912guy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the insight stevenvillatoro. I strongly considered the ND MX5, but ended up with my M235i because I needed something more functional / practical as a DD for daily commuting, taking my wife to dinner and several 700+ mile round trips on weekends. I just couldn't see the Miata filling that role very well. I fall in love again with my M235i every time push the Start/Stop button, hear the exhaust rumble and slip the 6MT into 1st. In my estimation its the best combination of an old school "analog" driving experience in a fairly current "digital" car. Some day, I'll have the true momentum "more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" experience once I get my 912 back on the road.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      05-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #43
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Some day, I'll have the true momentum "more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" experience once I get my 912 back on the road.
Looking forward to seeing the 912!! Some day, of course.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 01:43 AM   #44
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Hey man...I've seen your posts before and we have a few stories in common. I just traded my 2016 Miata ND (Launch Edition) for a CPO 2017 M240i (6MT). The main reason I traded my ND was because of early teething problems with the transmission failures, possible carbon buildup, etc.

I really like my 240i, but am eyeing a 2019 Club with the Brembos. I hear the upgraded engine and LSD makes a difference. Overall, I really miss owning a convertible...especially during nice weather. My problem is that I'm unemployed, but still own 2 Beemers (S1000R & R1200GS), a new Tacoma TRD and a bunch of Santa Cruz carbon bikes.

Good luck with your new Mee. I hope you post updates on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0