THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning can I stack my flash tune?

09-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

can I stack my flash tune?

I recently got the dinan flash on my car and wondering if I could stack something like the JB+ on top of it to give me just a bit more power? if it's possible, what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
I recently got the dinan flash on my car and wondering if I could stack something like the JB+ on top of it to give me just a bit more power? if it's possible, what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this?

JB+ on top of a ECU tune would be a horrible idea. JB+ was designed to work with the stock settings and the ECU tune was designed to push to what Dinan considered the safe tune with no need for any additional devices mucking with sensors.

Probably still a bad idea, but you could possibly put a JB4 with a custom tune on top of the ECU tune, but why not just buy the appropriate ECU tune in the first place that gives you the control/performance you want?
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
Quote:

JB+ on top of a ECU tune would be a horrible idea. JB+ was designed to work with the stock settings and the ECU tune was designed to push to what Dinan considered the safe tune with no need for any additional devices mucking with sensors.

Probably still a bad idea, but you could possibly put a JB4 with a custom tune on top of the ECU tune, but why not just buy the appropriate ECU tune in the first place that gives you the control/performance you want?
thanks for the thoughts. I was just thinking this would be a cheap, easy way to get a bit more power from my car without paying for a different flash tune. however it's not worth it if it will cause other issues as the Dinan flash is pretty nice, but it's just never enough you know?! lol
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
Sonertial
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M240i 6MT

I actually tried this, testing a theory that I was maxing out my TMAP sensor during hot weather.
I put in a 3.5bar sensor instead of the 2.5bar one, and connected the JB+ on top of one of the first available stage 2 Flash tunes. (I've since wiped it back to stock and installed BM3 stage 1)
I had (still have) a Wagnar 300CPI catted downpipe.

I am pretty sure the engine did not know what the hell was going on. The torque on my test run was very noticeable. I was calculating torque and HP by logging GPS and OBD2 data - as a reference point, BM3 St1 I'm calculating at about 620nm/390HP. With the JB+ there was over 750nm and almost 430hp during that run iirc. I did not find clear enough roads to get any proper data, but the low down torque increase was actually pretty scary.

Then the engine seemed to dial itself back to normal power levels after just one restart. There were fault codes all over the place due to the incorrect sensor type. I took the JB+ and sensor out pretty quickly, but it was an interesting test. Basically a bad idea, and pretty pointless unless you're after some specific data-point.

I have not tried the sensor with Bootmod3's 3.5bar sensor setting yet.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You can stack a piggyback with a flash tune. it's safe as long as you know how to datalog and make sure you are not adding too much boost.

I recommend the Jb4 instead of the JB+ as it lets you monitor boost and it has safety failsafes that will return the car to stock power if it's over boosting or running lean

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonertial View Post
I actually tried this, testing a theory that I was maxing out my TMAP sensor during hot weather.
I put in a 3.5bar sensor instead of the 2.5bar one, and connected the JB+ on top of one of the first available stage 2 Flash tunes. (I've since wiped it back to stock and installed BM3 stage 1)
I had (still have) a Wagnar 300CPI catted downpipe.

I am pretty sure the engine did not know what the hell was going on. The torque on my test run was very noticeable. I was calculating torque and HP by logging GPS and OBD2 data - as a reference point, BM3 St1 I'm calculating at about 620nm/390HP. With the JB+ there was over 750nm and almost 430hp during that run iirc. I did not find clear enough roads to get any proper data, but the low down torque increase was actually pretty scary.

Then the engine seemed to dial itself back to normal power levels after just one restart. There were fault codes all over the place due to the incorrect sensor type. I took the JB+ and sensor out pretty quickly, but it was an interesting test. Basically a bad idea, and pretty pointless unless you're after some specific data-point.

I have not tried the sensor with Bootmod3's 3.5bar sensor setting yet.
Thanks for sharing your experience with something like this. I was hoping someone else had tried it before I did it! sounds like it's not the best idea unless I can monitor things like boost.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #7
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
You can stack a piggyback with a flash tune. it's safe as long as you know how to datalog and make sure you are not adding too much boost.

I recommend the Jb4 instead of the JB+ as it lets you monitor boost and it has safety failsafes that will return the car to stock power if it's over boosting or running lean
good to know. since I don't have the jb4 and thus can't monitor boost I'm thinking I won't be trying this on my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #8
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

thanks for the thoughts. I was just thinking this would be a cheap, easy way to get a bit more power from my car without paying for a different flash tune. however it's not worth it if it will cause other issues as the Dinan flash is pretty nice, but it's just never enough you know?! lol
It's cheap until it isn't. Meaning your more than likely setting yourself up for catastrophe. If you're gunna spend $xxx on a Dinan tune then $xxx on another tune: You're just way safer spending +\- $200 on a custom or proper OTS tune. Why Frankenstein a 40-60k car when in the end she's gunna take your money and run if you don't treat her right pay to play but weigh your risk/reward! I know you already bought the Dinan tune. But if I were you, and feeling like you want more power, sell the tune. Take a small loss and upgrade properly.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloelectro View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's cheap until it isn't. Meaning your more than likely setting yourself up for catastrophe. If you're gunna spend $xxx on a Dinan tune then $xxx on another tune: You're just way safer spending +\- $200 on a custom or proper OTS tune. Why Frankenstein a 40-60k car when in the end she's gunna take your money and run if you don't treat her right pay to play but weigh your risk/reward! I know you already bought the Dinan tune. But if I were you, and feeling like you want more power, sell the tune. Take a small loss and upgrade properly.
yeah you make a good point! I think I will just be happy with the flash tune and not take the chance of screwing something up big time!
Appreciate 0