THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Latest Consensus on Camber

09-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
roku.g9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Garage List
2017 M240i  [0.00]
Latest Consensus on Camber

Hi everyone. I have another track weekend coming up at Laguna Seca in October. Leaving me a month to prepare after just having gotten back. I'll be picking up a new set of Wheels with Apex through their labor day sale, and am going to be letting my recent wheel and tire set-up go. The last 2 days at laguna on stock camber pretty much killed my front tire shoulders as I expected. Interestingly enough, I didn't notice as much wear at Thunderhill.

Anyways, I'm looking into a comber solution for my fronts. What have people settled on and what has made them happy? Is the LCA the route to go? I likely won't be heading to any more track days this season and since I'll be on new wheels might just put up with another camberless track event and just play with my tire pressures a bit.

Longterm although, I might get KW club sport top hats to mix and match with my KW DDC coilovers(no camber option). Thatsolution wouldn't make it in time for this event, but I hear that many camber plates out there come with major noise concerns. I'm not sure if the KW top hats would experience the same. Has anyone ran camber plates without stock suspension? Has that worked better? Thank you guys in advance for any insight or feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I've got Vorshlag plates on the OEM adaptive dampers. They'll make clickity-clacks over speedbumps, potholes, or really uneven pavement, but its not terrible. The motorsport shop I've worked with on the build pulls the bearings to inspect them every year, and lubricates them as needed to keep the noise down. It got me to 2.5-deg camber on both sides and I'm happy with that for where I am. Higher noise, vibration, and harshness is just part of the deal when you've got racecar parts on a streetcar, and I knew that going in. I'm happy with the NVH levels and hardly ever notice it.

If occasional NVH is an issue for you, go with the LCA's but be aware they'll limit how much tire you can jam into the fenders; or go with the KW Clubsports (or BC Racing) for their integrated plates that were designed around the damper for a perfect fit. I haven't seen anyone add Clubsport plates to the KW Vx/DDC dampers so if you go that route, keep us posted. The Vorshlags have an option that would accommodate that as well. And all accounts seem to indicate that plates get more camber with coilovers than with the OEM dampers due to the relative diameters and geometry involved, so its the way to go if you can swing it.

I'd have definitely gone down the route of coilovers with plates if cost were no object. But I couldn't justify it at the time and this has suited me fine.
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71RS, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, custom 3" alumalite splitter, GTS wing, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
roku.g9
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
I've got Vorshlag plates on the OEM adaptive dampers. They'll make clickity-clacks over speedbumps, potholes, or really uneven pavement, but its not terrible. The motorsport shop I've worked with on the build pulls the bearings to inspect them every year, and lubricates them as needed to keep the noise down. It got me to 2.5-deg camber on both sides and I'm happy with that for where I am. Higher noise, vibration, and harshness is just part of the deal when you've got racecar parts on a streetcar, and I knew that going in. I'm happy with the NVH levels and hardly ever notice it.

If occasional NVH is an issue for you, go with the LCA's but be aware they'll limit how much tire you can jam into the fenders; or go with the KW Clubsports (or BC Racing) for their integrated plates that were designed around the damper for a perfect fit. I haven't seen anyone add Clubsport plates to the KW Vx/DDC dampers so if you go that route, keep us posted.

I'd have definitely gone down the route of coilover with plates if cost were no object. But I couldn't justify it at the time and this has suited me fine.
When I purchased the DDC coilovers back in April, I didn't have intentions of tracking the car as often as I have. Addicting is an understatement!

I might look into the vorshlag plates as they may make it in time before the next event. But talking to the KW team, the top mounts from the F22 club sports might be worth the wait. I'll keep you guys posted as I move forward. I know I'll likely be doing another 5-10 events next year. Especially since traveling/vacations are out the window with COVID
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roku.g9 View Post
When I purchased the DDC coilovers back in April, I didn't have intentions of tracking the car as often as I have. Addicting is an understatement!

I might look into the vorshlag plates as they may make it in time before the next event. But talking to the KW team, the top mounts from the F22 club sports might be worth the wait. I'll keep you guys posted as I move forward. I know I'll likely be doing another 5-10 events next year. Especially since traveling/vacations are out the window with COVID
I think the "consensus" you'll get if you ask the same question at the paddock will be very different. Next time at Laguna (say hi, btw), I challenge you to count the BMWs *without* camber plates. The strut suspension (and non-slicks) really likes camber and ~2 deg is just not enough once you start pushing harder. Which, at 10 event / yr, you'll probably do.

Think of it as a cost saving measure. 10 events == between 2-3 sets of tires == $3000-4500. Suddenly the one-time cost of coilovers + plates isn't that high, especially if it saves you set of tires.
Appreciate 1
roku.g935.00
      09-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
roku.g9
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post

I think the "consensus" you'll get if you ask the same question at the paddock will be very different. Next time at Laguna (say hi, btw), I challenge you to count the BMWs *without* camber plates. The strut suspension (and non-slicks) really likes camber and ~2 deg is just not enough once you start pushing harder. Which, at 10 event / yr, you'll probably do.

Think of it as a cost saving measure. 10 events == between 2-3 sets of tires == $3000-4500. Suddenly the one-time cost of coilovers + plates isn't that high, especially if it saves you set of tires.
Very good insight. Looking forward to seeing you in October!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post
The strut suspension (and non-slicks) really likes camber and ~2 deg is just not enough once you start pushing harder.
^ This, and I'll offer the following:

I don't know about a consensus on camber, but I'll add this data point from my street/track alignment:

-2.6° Front and -2.2° Rear.

At 9,978 miles on my odometer, I still have 5/32nds left on the original MPSS tires that came on the car. Those tires have no track miles on them and have been used 90%+ on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

The LCA is a nice compromise option.. you get -1.8 camber and no noise....

If you want more camber then go with camber plates but be ready for clunking
Appreciate 2
      09-04-2020, 12:16 AM   #8
SkyeC
Too many cars, not enough time
Rep
Drives: 17 m240i

I have the street version Millway plates and have the front at -2 on stock suspension but could get 2.5, maybe 3. Very little NVH but I did pick up a random interior buzz that took me a minute to find!
Appreciate 1
roku.g935.00
      09-08-2020, 11:32 AM   #9
roku.g9
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 M240i  [0.00]
Thanks everyone. I decided to go with the GC Camber Plates in conjunction with my KW coils. Will post thoughts later this month for those interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 06:59 AM   #10
Ericm235
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M235

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I decided to go with the GC Camber Plates in conjunction with my KW coils. Will post thoughts later this month for those interested.
Good luck with the GC plates....if I had my time again I would just go M4 LCA
      10-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #11
roku.g9
Private
Rep

Garage List
2017 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericm235 View Post
Quote:
Good luck with the GC plates....if I had my time again I would just go M4 LCA
Yeah, I just got them thrown on. The noise is "okay" at low speeds. But it's a bit much and I was hoping to be one of the few who didn't experience the clickity clacks. I'll be taking them off shortly and hopefully settling with LCA.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

You will find anything close to -3 to work well on most setups. You will likely also need a combination of camber plates and control arms to get you there depending on your ride height.

Most noise free camber plates use some sort of a urethane washer/bushing which just end up deteriorting and making a worse noise. It's a compromise between tire wear and have a little bit of noise with camber plates.
Appreciate 1
roku.g935.00