THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Spool wireless ethanol analyzer

08-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Spool wireless ethanol analyzer

Havent seen much discussion on this subject so I figured I'd share my recent updates.

After upgrading to the B58TU HPFP (AKA Supra Pump), I have been running an e30 tune and adjusting fueling based on logs and calculators.

I got tired of the above and had no desire to buy a bulk pack of test tubes either so I decided to bite the bullet and buy a real time fuel analyzer.

For our cars there's basically 2 options - Spool or Fuel it.

The Fuel it includes an option for some add-ons if you have a flex fuel compatible tune that adjusts on the fly to ethanol content. As far as I know, this doesnt exist for B58 yet..

Additionally, there are fundamental install differences in the two setups.

The spool kit is developed for those of us with B58's, from the ground up, and will be very familiar as far as install goes for those of us who have already upgraded fuel pumps, so the install was fairly easy.

the fuel-it kit looks like its a shared setup from N55, which requires tapping into the LPFP, underneath the car, running a longer fuel line, etc. I wasnt interested in climbing under my car any more than necessary at this point.

The spool install is all under the hood, without no necessary jacking, so it was a no brainer. Plus their app is free...fuel it wants another $5 for the app, so it was easy enough of a decision there.

Overall prices are similar. With a discount I was able to get the spool analyzer for $325 shipped.

The fuel-it setup, after adding the required sensor, is $299 (they dont make it clear that you're just ordering the bluetooth add on at first), and you still need to add the fittings, and fuel lines. I compared with someone else recently, who I believe spent closer to the $500 point all in all (maybe with the flex fuel add on?) but as it stood, it looked like the Spool kit ends up being cheaper, and has all the necessary parts included in one simple kit.

same process as you'd go through to do a spark plug service..take off engine cover, take off the two plastic panels on either side of the firewall, remove strut bar, remove plastic trim and remove sound deadening.

From there you literally unbolt the existing fuel line from the fuel pump. unscrew one etorx mounting bolt and then remove the OEM fuel line from a quick connect fitting near the DME.

analyzer comes in multiple pieces but I had it plugged up and ready to install pretty quickly:

from left to right its basically:
fuel line with quick disconnects (an6) on either end. fuel sensor. fuel line with another quick disconnect, and on the other end, a fitting that bolts onto your fuel pump.

thats the sum of it. wiring harness plugs into the sensor in the middle, from that you have 1 wire that splices into a power wire (only on with ignition) and 1 wire for grounding.

the bluetooth portion itself has a waterproof connector so it can be unplugged even after install.

Only caveat is..you dont get "real time" adjusting as you fuel up at the pump.

You need to add fuel and drive around and the sensor will adjust as the car runs. Im guessing about 5-10 mins of driving.

I was surprised that before this I was actually running closer to e50 in the tank based on logs I ran and advice from those reason the logs.

I started with 5 gallons of 93 and 4 of e85, that got me down to approx. e45 with my tank previously at 16 miles to empty based on the car's estimate. Im guessing I had more than that, because it probably had another 1.5 gallons or a little more left in it.

at that point I added another gallon of 93, and that got me to down to e41 approx.

I added 2 more gallons of 93 after, totaling 12 added, and that got me to approx. e36.

I left it at that point as it looks like its "full", which confirms my suspicion about the car having more fuel (approx 1.5 gallons) when I started than the engine's estimate of 16 miles..

Im glad I picked this up, as the previous advice I was given had me running the car pretty close to 50/50 e85 and 93 octane fueling, which Im not sure was doing anything beneficial for me..since the car is only tuned for e30.

The app itself is pretty straight forward, it can connect/disconnect directly to the fuel analyzer through bluetooth, without having to go into phone settings, which is a MAJOR plus. It shows fuel content and temperature on one screen, and on the next, it has a calculator if you want to manually figure out how much you need at fillup..which is still a pointless guessing game because you have no clue if your pump gas is anywhere between e50 to true e85.

install instructions from spool are decent but contacting them was an up hill battle. they dont answer the phone often or emails..had to email them 3 times to get the instructions for the proper wire to tap into for power so know that if you're not someone who is fairly comfortable with this type of work, its recommended you take it to a shop to install, as there's basically 1 video online of an install, and it skips the wiring steps entirely, plus quite a few others.

Last edited by AleksanderSuave; 08-29-2020 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
dradernh4371.50